The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pollensa increasing drivers leg room.

+2
Dutto
BML
6 posters

Go down

Pollensa increasing drivers leg room. Empty Pollensa increasing drivers leg room.

Post by BML Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I have a 2002 Pollensa and although it’s a nice enough Motorhome I suspect that it was built by midgets’ for midgets or is one supposed to now say people of restricted growth?  The reason that I say that is because although I’m a little short of six foot I don’t feel comfortable in the driving seat and I would like to lean the driver’s seat back a little.  I suspect that about the only way out of the problem is to cut away the panel behind the driving seat or create a set of brackets that would allow one to remove the panel while driving and replace when parked up.  I wonder if anyone on this forum has this problem and if so how did they deal with it.
BML
BML

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

Pollensa increasing drivers leg room. Empty Re: Pollensa increasing drivers leg room.

Post by BML Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 pm

I wish that I had taken more care when I test drove this vehicle because I would have thought twice about buying it.  Now I find that the accelerator pedal is so close to the brake pedal that my foot catches under it.  Who on earth designed this vehicle?
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Pollensa increasing drivers leg room. Empty Re: Pollensa increasing drivers leg room.

Post by Dutto Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi there,

I've just taken a look at a Pollensa at the following site:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The vehicle seems to be a standard Peugeot so I would guess that the pedals are standard; however, as your complain is about the proximity of the accelerator to the brake, is it possible to "bend" or otherwise re-locate the accelerator pedal outwards?

Alternatively, why don't you fit a "cruise control" and then you only bother with the accelerator when you are in town!

The seating in the one I have looked at only has the "backwards and forwards" and "recline" adjustments.

I agree with you that, from the photographs, the "recline" function would hit the back of the dining table seat and is therefore ineffective if this can't be removed when driving.  However, if the seat was replaced with one that offers a "tilt" function (i.e. one that alters the angle of the seat) then it should be possible to "tilt" the seat so that the front of the seat rises and the back of the seat falls and thereby extends the leg room.  (Not easy to describe but I use this function on "Petal" on every long trip that we do as it makes the shape of the seat almost the same as a deckchair.)

With regard to wishing that you had thought twice before buying take solace from the thought that at least you don't have to explain it to my better half; who would sooner see me drive in absolute agony than spend whatever money it would take to rectify the problem!

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am

That is all I can think of too by raising the front it will tilt the seat further back but that will not help if you have long legs. My wife has a BMW Z4 which she loves, great car, I would sell it tomorrow for the same reason I just cannot get comfortable in it.

Good luck in getting it sorted.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:20 am

Aren't people different?

The only complaints I've heard about that generation of the Boxer's driving seat (and several times at that) is that it's too high and that short people can't reach the pedals.

There is an optional seat available to help those short people and it may be that yours has one fitted - its worth investigating. I'm 5' 6" but have proportionally long legs and have driven the sister van, the Pescara, with no problem at all. A friend who is much taller than me had another Pescara for several years and never expressed concern about the driving position.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm a trifle under six feet and have driven all sorts from a Comet Tank to a Mini Minor. My current cars are a Skoda Fabia and a Mercedes 190. I have had no trouble with any of these vehicles including an elderly Commer Caravanette, a Glendale on a Talbot base, an Autotrail Apache and a Hymer 544. I am well aware that I should have tried a longer drive but I didn’t.
I think that the way out of my problem will be to cut the board away behind the driver’s seat and fit a pair of hinges to the rear of it so that it tips backwards when driving. A set of brackets can be fitted to the front of the board so that when the vehicle is static bolts can be slid down making it as it was prior to being worked on. As far as I’m concerned it is a design fault showing the same lack of thought put into the shortage of space between the Accelerator and Brake. I got over that by wearing a small pair of shoes rather than my boots.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:32 pm

Had exactly the same problem with our Pollensa. I thought up a mod but took it to Auto-Sleepers to do the job properly so the trim etc was all matched up with original materials. I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow, basically it meant cutting off the wooden bulkhead panel behind the seat, re-attaching it along the bottom with a piano hinge, and adding a retaining strip and simple sliding barrel bolt on the vertical parts.
Now when I drive, we remove the rear-facing seat back and lay it on the seat, release the bolt and hinge the panel back. This allows the driver's seat to slide back the full designed amount of travel and also there is now no limit on the recline angle. As a six-footer, I can drive with no problem. When Mrs B drives (which is actually most of the time) or when we're sited, then the rear facing seat is reassembled as normal. allthumbz 
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 am

That seems just what I need but carpentry to me is based on six inch nails so it would have to be somewhere like Auto-Sleeper.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:50 am

Sorry for delayed response, been catching up after returning from trip to France.

I have posted phtographs showing the modification here:

Although initially I was going to do this myself as a DIY project, I decided to let Auto-Sleepers do it as the 'van was going in for some other work anyway, just after we had bought it secondhand from a dealer about eight years or so ago. They were able to do a much tidier job than I could have, since they had access to original materials such as the matching carpet-type covering. When I explained what was required, they commented that this was an excellent modification, as they had had feedback from others about the poor driving position problem for taller drivers.

It really makes a huge difference, adding several inches travel even if the seat back is only reclined slightly. As a six-footer with long legs I have always prefered a deep recline when driving; without this mod, I would have found it very uncomfortable, not to say unsafe, to drive for anything other than short periods.
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Many thanks for the photographs which reinforce my view that I will not risk doing it myself any more than I would attempt to cook.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:08 pm

rogerblack wrote:

Thanks for posting the photographs Roger. I now see exactly how the different layout of the Pollensa to the Pescara caused the restriction to seat movement in the Pollensa.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
rogerblack wrote:

Thanks for posting the photographs Roger.  I now see exactly how the different layout of the Pollensa to the Pescara caused the restriction to seat movement in the Pollensa.

Peter

Hi, Peter

Our previous van was a Herald Castile and had the exact same layout (long side facing seat one side, forward and rear facing dinette seats the other) - only symmetrically opposite. Hence there was no problem driving it - the driver's seat was in front of the long side facing bench seat which had no bulkhead panel, so there was no restriction on its movement. When we changed to the Pollensa, it quickly became apparent that I would struggle to drive it, so a solution had to be found.

One of the reasons we have since held on to the Pollensa for so long is that we haven't seen any current model with the same layout, which suits us ideally. Plus I've added lots of gizmos to meet our particular needs, so as long as it remains reliable, fingersx:  we'll be keeping it - outdated colour scheme and all! smilez 
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Pollensa increasing drivers leg room. Empty Pollensa driving legroom

Post by mrsmertz Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 am

Roger - I've only just joined the forum and you have immediately solved a problem for us!  Thank you
Mrs Mertz
mrsmertz
mrsmertz

Female

Member Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:52 am

mrsmertz wrote:I have posted phtographs showing the modification here:

Roger - I've only just joined the forum and you have immediately solved a problem for us!  Thank you
Mrs Mertz

Welcome and thanks for the thanks, Mrs Mertz!  Glad our mod is of benefit to others.  
drinksallround
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down