The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

emptying waste water tank

+13
Peter Brown
MrsGrey
snaprails
boxerman
Den and Colin
matchlessman
Dave 418
Dutto
-mojo-
shelldrake
Tonyt
hblewett
Celticbiker
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

emptying waste water tank  Empty emptying waste water tank

Post by Celticbiker Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Recently we found we were unable to get close enough to the drain point to empty our tank, this will be remedied by the addition of a length of pipe.
On this occasion however we opted to use a drain in a lay by, I'm pretty sure though that I read that this is illegal or frowned upon.
Can anyone clarify this?
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

emptying waste water tank  Empty Re: emptying waste water tank

Post by hblewett Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Certainly frowned upon and maybe illegal depending how much detergent etc is in it. Worst thing is getting caught by members of the public who may think its black water - this lowers the credibility pf all motorhomers.

Different people have different views, ranging from just pouring their grey water out brazenly to 'it is a mortal sin legally and environmentally'.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Sat May 11, 2013 12:10 am

Whilst staying on a ccc site we witnessed three different caravaners empty their grey water containers at the side of the pitch when the waste point was only 150 yards away.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 am

Some people are paranoid about this issue but common decency should be used.

My view is that it's OK to empty it into a place that drains into a sewer as that's where it would go if you had such water to get rid of at home.

On some sites, mostly CL/CS type farm sites, it's sometimes OK and sometimes requested by the owner, to empty grey water into the hedgerow.

Other than that, perhaps the question you need to ask - yourself, is "would you be happy emptying onto your garden?"

Emptying grey water at the side of a pitch when emptying facilities are available, even at a long distance, is not acceptable.

What did this guy say when you challenged his action?

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Sold -

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 am

Tonyt wrote:Some people are paranoid about this issue but common decency should be used.

My view is that it's OK to empty it into a place that drains into a sewer as that's where it would go if you had such water to get rid of at home.

On some sites, mostly CL/CS type farm sites, it's sometimes OK and sometimes requested by the owner, to empty grey water into the hedgerow.

Other than that, perhaps the question you need to ask - yourself, is "would you be happy emptying onto your garden?"

Emptying grey water at the side of a pitch when emptying facilities are available, even at a long distance, is not acceptable.

What did this guy say when you challenged his action?
This is exactly the train of thought that I followed.
As for emptying anywhere else, I wouldn't even consider it.
The guy on the campsite I did not confront, he looked like a tattooed Sontaran in a United shirt.
If it didn't end in a fight it wouldn't have stopped him anyway.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Sat May 11, 2013 10:24 am

Celticbiker wrote:..........................he looked like a tattooed Sontaran in a United shirt.................

Oh blimey - a United shirt? - then I don't blame you at all!! Now if it'd been a City shirt then things might have been different smile!

ps - I had to Google Sontaran - It's a long time since I watched Dr Who - is William Hartnell still in the lead role? smile! l

Male

Back to top Go down

emptying waste water tank  Empty Simple

Post by shelldrake Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 am

Ask politely and then if they gets aggressive fetch the site Director and get them moved off site They will learn from that as I dare say the spouse will be very angry.
I did it on Javea site but didn't ask for them to leave unless they did it again They didn't. Mind she was evil towards me after that but do I care ??? not a lot
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat May 11, 2013 4:11 pm

The problem is that different people's views of what is hygienic vary a huge amount.

It is also very easy to misunderstand a situation like that. I have been taken to task by a neighbour for emptying my waste bucket into the hedgerow, and they did not apologise for their aggressive attitude even when I pointed out that I had been re-priming my water system after travelling with an empty water tank, and that the bucket contained just plain water with no "greyness" at all.

Even when in normal use, my grey waste water is not what I would consider very dirty. At most I just wash out a coffee mug or two and the cereal bowls - anything more dirty than that and I go to the site sinks. So I would have no problem at all with putting it on my garden at home.

However, I am probably influenced a bit by my Dad's example. He was inexplicably clumsy with the van's waste water bucket, and would often accidentally knock it over while trying to extract it from under the van. He would always appear to be really annoyed with himself for being so careless...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Sat May 11, 2013 4:33 pm

-mojo- wrote:..........................................
However, I am probably influenced a bit by my Dad's example. He was inexplicably clumsy with the van's waste water bucket, and would often accidentally knock it over while trying to extract it from under the van. He would always appear to be really annoyed with himself for being so careless...

People still use the "hole in the bottom of the bucket" system for getting rid of their water and they actually believe that nobody notices. smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi there,

We often use lay-by drains.

When I consider the detritus that gets washed down the drain in a lay-by (ranging from dead rabbits to sump-oil drips to plastic bags) I can't see that the one or two bits of sweet corn and few grains of rice that come out of my waste-water tank are going to have any detrimental ecological impact!

All we use to stop the waste-tank from smelling is either a bio-capsule or a splash of orange cordial down the sink after we have emptied the tank. up!

With regard to "detergents" they are banned in "Petal" because it removes the non-stick patina from the inside of my pans. tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed May 15, 2013 11:54 am

Regarding waste water draining. We have now discovered how short the drain pipe is on our Duetto. To be replaced before we go away next month. Whilst we were on our travels at the end of April we only managed to get to one drain that we could use on four diferent sites. One site owner said dont drain it on the grass use the chemical toilet facilitys. How we were suposed to do that when it was inside a building is beyond me. Also we were told not drive on the grass to fill up with water. Of coarse our filling pipe was to short tap_fingers The last site near craven arms actualy told me to park against the hedge the soap will get rid of the weeds. As other people say whats a bit of soapy water down a drain in a layby. winks
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Dave 418 wrote: .................. One site owner said dont drain it on the grass use the chemical toilet facilitys. How we were suposed to do that when it was inside a building is beyond me. .............

Hi there,

When towing the trailer we have a low-profile bucket for this operation and when just using "Petal" we use the plastic interior from the waste-bin. allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Wed May 15, 2013 12:48 pm

A couple of years ago at the CCC site at Sandringham my neighbours suddenly turned very unpleasant. I couldn't see any reason for this until I tried to empty the grey when I departed and found the tap wide open. The van had been serviced a week before the trip and after flushing etc, they had left the drain tap open.

Because it was a loose sandy base on the pitch I hadn't noticed as I hadn't been that side of the van after washing / washing up, and after a couple of hours it had obviously dried out.

If only they had mentioned it to me instead of assuming I was a hooligan........
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

emptying waste water tank  Empty Wastemaster

Post by shelldrake Wed May 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Due to the fact that we are static when wintering in Spain I bought a surplus Fiamma Wastemaster for a song!! Only wash hands and bits and pieces in the M/H so only have to empty it after a few days.
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed May 15, 2013 5:53 pm

shelldrake wrote:Due to the fact that we are static when wintering in Spain I bought a surplus Fiamma Wastemaster for a song!! Only wash hands and bits and pieces in the M/H so only have to empty it after a few days.

Hi there,

When we go to Spain for an extended period (towing the trailer) we carry a 10m length of waste pipe and a flexible 4" rubber cover so that we can just hook up directly to the drains that are found on the modern pitches. wave

That and a 10m length of hose and water is a doddle. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 pm

shelldrake wrote:Due to the fact that we are static when wintering in Spain I bought a surplus Fiamma Wastemaster for a song!! Only wash hands and bits and pieces in the M/H so only have to empty it after a few days.
I'd rather not know about you washing your bits and pieces thankyou so very much. hugegrins
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Wed May 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Celticbiker wrote:
I'd rather not know about you washing your bits and pieces thankyou so very much. hugegrins

It would be more of a concern for his neighbours if he didn't rolleyes
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

emptying waste water tank  Empty !!!!

Post by shelldrake Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Trust sosmeone to notice that !!!!!!!!!!!!!
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat May 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Whistle1 The van we hired last year had a drain pipe but it wasnt conected to the tank as we found out on the first Aire, I didnt need to speak French to get the dischufed tone of the owners of the van next to us blushes I have just been under our Duetto and changed the drain pipe. It now runs along the underside of the sill, nearly all of a 2mtr lengh of hose I bought. It is cliped up with terry clips in four places so I can unclip as much as we need. Talking of terry clips. I went to our local B& * to buy some yesterday. It took four diferent members of staff to figure out what I wanted and tell me they didnt sell them. frustrating 100yds away there was a genral builders merchants/ iormongery type place. At 49p each it makes a joke of the biger stores. content
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Den and Colin Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi all - we were thinking of buying a wastemaster for this as I am getting a bit fed up with emptying bowlful after bowlful by hand. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea (other than the continuing drain on our bank balance!!)?

Denise

smile!
Den and Colin
Den and Colin
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 pm

I use one of these:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bought new though - not used.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Den and Colin Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Thank you :-)
Den and Colin
Den and Colin
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : duetto

Back to top Go down

emptying waste water tank  Empty Wastemaster

Post by shelldrake Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Depends if you have the storeage space.
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snaprails Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Space is the issue, I've a separate waste container but nowhere to put it. The Symbol drain hose could do with being a bit longer and I may look into that.

I have done the lay-by thing as discreetly as possible if no suitable facility existed at the previous campsite. Also strategically parked in a car park next to some long grass. I'd have felt more guilty at that were it not for the two large 'vans parked in the middle of the car park blatantly with their drain cocks open.

At home I just drain onto the ground and let it run into the drain in the driveway. Couldn't work out where the minty smell was coming from the other day until the penny dropped smile! 
snaprails
snaprails

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Mine lives in the toilet compartment, wrapped in a bin liner when we are travelling and under the van, being used when we are on site. I don't understand the "storage" problem scratch head 

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next