The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas Barbeque in a Warwick Duo

+5
Dutto
rogerblack
Harper22
Tonyt
Nigel54
9 posters

Go down

Gas Barbeque in a Warwick Duo Empty Gas Barbeque in a Warwick Duo

Post by Nigel54 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 pm

While clearing the 8 inches of snow that fell last night, when taking a breather I looked at our gas barbeque. I mused about the external gas point on the Van. We would need a gas barbeque I thought. Where would we store it (smelly messy things barbeques) & it would have to be small.

The one thing about van conversions is the lack of external lockers. We asked about some sort rear access to the underbed bunks (similar to the autocruise rhythm) before we bought the Van but it seemed expensive & the access would have been quite small (because of the frame). I also asked about making it a water tight compartment for the cables etc. same problem.

Has anyone on the forum got a gas barbeque for a van conversion? If so what sort is it? And where do you store it without making a mess. Otherwise what is the point of an external gas point?

Nigel
Nigel54
Nigel54

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Gas Barbeque in a Warwick Duo Empty Re: Gas Barbeque in a Warwick Duo

Post by Tonyt Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:22 pm

The question is not really restricted to van conversions. The Clubman also has no (usable for bbq) storage.

I'd like to include a small, lidded, bbq in my kit - not gas - that's cooking not bbq'ing!

I've tried a few ideas for exterior storage and am now casting eyes at the rear ladder - there has to be a way of hanging it there - maybe just in a purpose made wooden box, or even a plastic storage box?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Sold -

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Nigel54 wrote:While clearing the 8 inches of snow that fell last night, when taking a breather I looked at our gas barbeque. I mused about the external gas point on the Van. We would need a gas barbeque I thought. Where would we store it (smelly messy things barbeques) & it would have to be small.

The one thing about van conversions is the lack of external lockers. We asked about some sort rear access to the underbed bunks (similar to the autocruise rhythm) before we bought the Van but it seemed expensive & the access would have been quite small (because of the frame). I also asked about making it a water tight compartment for the cables etc. same problem.

Has anyone on the forum got a gas barbeque for a van conversion? If so what sort is it? And where do you store it without making a mess. Otherwise what is the point of an external gas point?

Nigel

I have a dinky gas bbq which the legs fold to secure the lid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I dont have an external gas point so end up lugging the gas bottle in and out of the cupboard. havent quite figured out where i could have one installed on the harmony as yet shrugg

it gets stored in one the the big ikea blue bags and goes under the sofa when not in use, other than that its in the awning or outside, Some say its not real BBQing but I rival the best coal cooked burgers and i always know they are cooked and not burnt up! may i enquire where your gas point is on your van nigel?

Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I installed an external bbq point myself - drilling that first hole was a nailbiting experience! fingersx

Use a suitcase type bbq with folding legs and a wav-grill (rather than lava etc). Can't remember the make and it's too cold and wet to go out and look! fear_smiley

Stored in a large grease-proof bag in the overcab storage area (i.e. folded up bed space).

Use it loads, much prefer cooking outside the 'van.
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi there,

Not so much a BBQ as an outside cooking ring so that whatever is on top of it can splatter everywhere!

It all folds down into about the size of a kitchen roll and screws directly on to a 4.5kgs Butane cylinder (which we carry anyway).

Don't know if it is still available this side of a Car Boot sale!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They do a modern version that is a BBQ, crêpe pan and griddle that fits on top of Le Cube which is a very lightweight plastic gas container.

If you play the video on this link you will see someone fit the BBQ to the top of Le Cube. (Blink and you miss it!)

Hope this helps. up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigel54 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:41 am

I like the table top BBQ & the IKea bag.

The external gas point is on the nearside of the van at the back, it's got a flap similar to the EHU. I can see it being useful as its under the roll out awning but at the end. Mind you it's quite high up so will need a long tube if BBQ is to be a reasonable distance away from the Van.

BTW what is a wav-grill

Thanks for the advice and links
Nigel54
Nigel54

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 am

Hi Nigel.

Like you I think a BBQ is a filthy stinking thing. I use my BBQ point to run a camp cooker (two ring and a grill)
Works great in the summer no cooking smells or extra heat in the van and no spattering when frying food etc.
When done a quick wipe over with some kitchen towel then fold up close the lid and store away.

Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:39 pm

whisky wrote:...........

Like you I think a BBQ is a filthy stinking thing. ..........

Episode one of "Confessions of a Sausage Burner" starts with exactly the same sentence!

In his book the Author explains his phobia in fine detail before finally admitting:

1) His mother was frightened by a camp-fire the day before he was conceived.

2) His own lack of skill may have something to do with his inability to cook on hot charcoal.

3) He feels a bit hypocritical because he loves the smoky flavour of properly cooked food when visiting friends who can actually do it properly.

hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Who has one of these [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Ian.

You misunderstood again. I can and have cooked to perfection on a BBQ gas or charcoal. look here

Its storing the filthy smelly thing in the van thats the problem. look here

I know you will be able to regale us with your wisdom and solution for this problem. Whistle1 hugegrins

Waiting for the solution. Whisky. up!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Harper22 wrote: Some say its not real BBQing but I rival the best coal cooked burgers and i always know they are cooked and not burnt

Well there you have it then - gas BBQ and burgers - neither of which can be seriously considered to be BBQing smile!
Charcoal and fresh meat or fish cuts is the only way, anything less is just a sacrilege. Whistle1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Tonyt wrote:
Harper22 wrote: Some say its not real BBQing but I rival the best coal cooked burgers and i always know they are cooked and not burnt

Well there you have it then - gas BBQ and burgers - neither of which can be seriously considered to be BBQing smile!
Charcoal and fresh meat or fish cuts is the only way, anything less is just a sacrilege. Whistle1

I used to think that too - until I got a gas BBQ with a wav-grill, so no messing with lava rocks or whatever, never mind charcoal (which never seemed to be ready to cook properly until after we'd burnt the main course and eaten dessert!) tap_fingers

And yes, I sometimes cook burgers but most often make them myself using a neat little burger press, or hands if I forget to pack it. That way I can control exactly how much horse meat to include to suit my own taste . . . snigger

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:34 pm

rogerblack wrote:........... That way I can control exactly how much horse meat to include to suit my own taste . . . snigger

Ah, now you're talking!! A juicy piece of horse rib steak, grilled over charcoal, hard to beat. smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:28 pm

whisky wrote:Hi Ian.

You misunderstood again. I can and have cooked to perfection on a BBQ gas or charcoal. look here

Its storing the filthy smelly thing in the van thats the problem. look here

I know you will be able to regale us with your wisdom and solution for this problem. Whistle1 hugegrins

Waiting for the solution. Whisky. up!

Go on then! Tell me you have one of those aprons with something funny printed on it or, even better, one like this: lol4 lol4

I love the fact that it's in a camouflage design so that they can't see you through the smoke! hugegrins

I thoroughly dislike gas BBQ's so in terms of a "real" BBQ I have seen these used on boats so they may work for a motorhome; but at +/- £120 I'm still waiting for Santa to bring me one! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm

What a load of Cobblers! lol4
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigel54 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 pm

I may have found a considerably expensive but neat answer to the problem of a gas BBQ/Grill which is small and easily packable gas "grill" the O grill 1000 (£110) but it seems to need a tube (£20) and I'm not sure if it needs a regulator to attach it to the external gas point, whisky how do you attach your your camp cooker? The (very nice) bag is also extra (£30), so this will be an expensive accessory at £160. It doesn't have rocks & apparently is easy to clean but I bet it still smells - the bag better be good or perhaps I'll just use disposables confused3

As a matter of interest how do you copy quotations.

Nigel
Nigel54
Nigel54

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am

Hi Nigel.

I use orange LPG gas pipe to connect to the camp cooker. Connect it to the gas point with a purpose made bayonet fitting (cost me about £3 from Lowdham Caravans) Your van fitted gas regulator governs the pressure so an extra one is not needed. up!

Dutto. In my world aprons or pinny's and the like are not required even though they may be essential to have them in yours. lol4 :

Whisky. champagne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 am

Nigel

There should be room to store a barbecue in the locker under the bed immediately behind the toilet. I don't mean the largish space under the bed accessed by the bottom hinged lid but the one behind that, which is normally accessible through a small opening at the back of the main locker. However, if you access this locker from the top by removing the cushion and the horizontal flat trim panel, you'll find it's quite a large space. In fact it's large enough to store the Peugeot toolbox which is normally stored under the passenger seat, allowing the space under the seat to be used for a second habitation battery (I digress!).

Roly
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 am

whisky wrote:.............

Dutto. In my world aprons or pinny's and the like are not required even though they may be essential to have them in yours. lol4 :

Whisky. champagne

You don't go to nudist camps then?? wave wave

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Dutto.

What a terrible thought. Nudist camps. BBQ's. Sizzling sausages. hugegrins gimmefive

Whisky. lol4

goneoff Sorry. should know better.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 am

My Sister bought me one of those 'Male hunk' pinny's for Christmas ......

Would have posted a pic of me wearing it, BUT I don't want to drive our Lady members wild lol4

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigel54 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi Roly

Our Warwick doesnt seem to have that compartment, Its just a large open space back to the side wall of the van, the wheel arch intrudes into this. I haven't got access to the Van until Thursday to check this out but if memory serves the locker is as I've described. I should add that it's a newish model & maybe AS has changed the design? I seem to remember discussion about this in the van conversion forum.

Assuming I am right the locker is usefully large but the lack of compartments is annoying shrugg I might get rid of the drawer on the otherside. Nothing is perfect.

Thanks

Nigel
Nigel54
Nigel54

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alanm Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:47 am

Tonyt wrote:The question is not really restricted to van conversions. The Clubman also has no (usable for bbq) storage.

I'd like to include a small, lidded, bbq in my kit - not gas - that's cooking not bbq'ing!

I've tried a few ideas for exterior storage and am now casting eyes at the rear ladder - there has to be a way of hanging it there - maybe just in a purpose made wooden box, or even a plastic storage box?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Hi Tony
If you want to hang a storage box on to the 'rear door hung ladder' then look at commercial vehicle external storage boxes they come in all shapes and sizes they are very strong and robust weather proof and are lockable, I fitted mine with 'car roof rack' ladder speed connections from the inside ie open the door spin the fixings in place and job done hidden behind locked door plus simple to remove when ladder access required. Just a thought cheers Alan dont_mentionIt
alanm
alanm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : warwick

Back to top Go down