The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beer Intolerent

+3
Johno
Dutto
Tommy-Darcy
7 posters

Go down

Beer Intolerent Empty Beer Intolerent

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 am

The 1st time it happened was about 13 months ago............I only needed to look at a pint of Amber Nectar and I would get the mother of all headaches censored! Laid off the booze for about 3 months (very hard) and gradually re-introduced it into my diet drinksallround

Now it seems to have come back censored! , and not just with Lager wee, it is now with my beloved ales too tap_fingers

Now I am not an Alcoholic but I do enjoy a pint of good ale and a pint of cordial just doesn't have the same appeal as onthehouse

What am I to do confused3

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Beer Intolerent Empty Re: Beer Intolerent

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:54 am

Ian,

It's called "old age" but I have no sympathy as the alternative to old age is worse! up!

Last year I discovered that whisky and wine aggravated my arthritis tap_fingers but I'm managing to bear the pain. champagne champagne

Best regards and new_year

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:08 am

Funnily (or not) enough I painfully discovered that my other fave tipple Morgans Spiced Rum with either caffeine free cola or ginger ale produced excruciating pain in all of my joints scratch head

I have been a very long time sufferer of Classic Migraines occurring every 2-3 months hence no caffeine, or chocky, or anything citrus, or cheese and some other dairy products, so the thought of giving up ale aswell really doesn't fill me with glee censored!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:24 am

It looks like we will have to dedicate 2013 to research then!! allthumbz

The fact that "Morgans Spiced Rum with either caffeine free cola or ginger ale produced excruciating pain" is a sign of hope because if that combination causes pain then it stands to reason that some other combination will provide that pain-free state of wellbeing that we managed to achieve as younger men!
up!
I will start experimenting as soon as the headache dissipates and my joints let me get mobile! hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you Ian for your kind offer to carry out this research, please don't let me down, I am depending on you up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Beer Intolerent Empty Re: Beer Intolerant

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Ian (s),

I discovered about 5 years ago that I am alcohol intolerant, in other words if I consume any form of alcohol I get a blinding head ache, this is to a lesser or greater extent depending on the drink. Worst case red wine through beers, ales, etc to least effective surprisingly enough vodka, the higher the quality the least pain.
This leads me to the conclusion that its what is 'added' to the drink (chemicals) is what does the damage. Not necessarily mixers.

Conclusion, drink sensibly and I'll stick to my Black Label! up!

Mike D

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm

1b449 wrote:Hi Ian (s),

I discovered about 5 years ago that I am alcohol intolerant, in other words if I consume any form of alcohol I get a blinding head ache, this is to a lesser or greater extent depending on the drink. Worst case red wine through beers, ales, etc to least effective surprisingly enough vodka, the higher the quality the least pain.
This leads me to the conclusion that its what is 'added' to the drink (chemicals) is what does the damage. Not necessarily mixers.

Conclusion, drink sensibly and I'll stick to my Black Label! up!

Mike D

...................and you have that with ? twiddle_thumbs

Thanks for this suggestion up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:15 am

Hi again,

What do I drink my vodka with? scratch head

Answer: Just ice and sometimes a slice of lemon or lime. allthumbz

A novel way to drink vodka is to do it the Russian way, bury it in the snow (or in the freezer -easier) it then goes to the consistancy of syrup, swallow a shot and feel it explode with warmth in your stomach. up!
Warning, dont put a full bottle in the freezer or it will split -too good to waste!

Cheers,

Mike D

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 am

1b449 wrote:......

What do I drink my vodka with? scratch head

Answer: Just ice and sometimes a slice of lemon or lime. allthumbz

Yep! That's how I get my "Five a Day" as well!! hugegrins

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Since childhood I had suffered with migraine and had tried every remedy known to mankind with little or no effect so_sad then some years ago I was diagnosed with slightly raised blood pressure and prescribed 50 mg of Atenolol daily. Now you may wonder where this is going in relation to the topic but bear with me. confused3

The spin off effect of taking the beta blocker was as well as lowering my B.P the migraine headaches also disapeared allthumbz and as an added bonus I was also able to imbibe more than one small glass of beer, wine, single malt etc without waking up with a splitting headache the following morning, for the first time in my life drinksallround .

When mentioning the above to the consultant who at that time was investigating the possible causes of my hypertension he replied with a smile that it's worth keeping up the medication for that reason alone.
So although my high B.P was put down to the very stressful job I had at the time I am still taking the tablets ten years on and I hasten to add with barely a headache or a hangover in the intervening years content

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Well there's the answer then Johno. Ask for double your prescription, then sub me with half of it up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Tommy-Darcy wrote:Well there's the answer then Johno. Ask for double your prescription, then sub me with half of it up!

Hmmmmm could this be a new career for me ? selling wraps of Atenolol on street corners. alittlesecret

Cheers Johno agree3
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:01 pm

lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 pm

The recent posts explain a lot. I always thought I suffered from a leather allergy. Because every time I woke up with my shoes on I had a headache.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Peterm wrote:The recent posts explain a lot. I always thought I suffered from a leather allergy. Because every time I woke up with my shoes on I had a headache.

I did wonder where that was going for a minute snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 am

GOOD NEWS!

Rémy Martin Fine Champagne Cognac VSOP gives me headache almost immediately after the second nip! up! up!

This was discovered after our eldest Grandson informed us this evening that he had got married in secret earlier today; and Helen dusted off a bottle that has been saved for "Special Occasions"! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS
"Why Good News?" you may ask. Well, at £28 a bottle it would be a terrible situation if I discovered that I could drink it like orange juice. I would be living in poverty by the end of the month!! Whistle1

The bottle is now tucked away at the back of the cupboard again! allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm

i feel sorry for those people that get a headache or similar.I get gout and unless you have suffered you will not know the pain.
i have tried to vary my diet to reduce the chance of the dreaded crystals forming.
As you would expect it may be trigered by Wine or beer. Currently cutting back on red wine ,used to buy in boxes as much as a van or car could carry from Tesco in Calais. Those days have gone and no Tesco Calais to buy from anyway.
seem to be OK with a few cans of Bush .
regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 pm

I've had the same problem for years and changed to quality gin with (quality) tonic.

Just last month I was out on an end of term night out and tried Black Isle Organic beers - totally clear head in the morning, no headache or hangover feeling (I also suffer migraines and a beta blocker was prescribed). Try organic and dump the chemicals...................... http://www.blackislebrewery.com/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Went out last night with some friends and to be sociable had a hand pulled pint of Abbot Ale...............went down a treat with no headache, so had 3 more followed by a Morgans and coke and felt fine, slept well except for the severe pains in my legs (I don't know what the diagnosis is but get these with or without alcohol) but no headache ad ok this morning drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Tommy-Darcy wrote:............. slept well except for the severe pains in my legs (I don't know what the diagnosis is but get these with or without alcohol) but no headache ad ok this morning drinksallround

Might be able to help here!! up!

After a long session on the push-bike I often get cramps in my legs during the following night. wave

For some reason best known to science and the medical profession quinine relieves leg cramps; and the bitterness in Tonic is the added quinine! up!

As a result I always have a bottle of Tonic in the fridge ready to go! I use it to wash down and speed up the reaction of the quinine tablets prescribed by my doctor but it also comes in handy when the urge for a G&T overtakes me!

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks Ian, may just have to have a go at G&T then, and perhaps more sensibly a glass of tonic before bed time up!

Perhaps we should introduce an ailments and possible cures section to the forum lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Beer Intolerent Empty Beer Intolerant

Post by oldbikerider Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:11 pm

In the old days when beer was proper beer made with good old Kentish Hops it wasn't the beer that caused the headaches but a surfeit of vitamin C.

Hops were green, anything green contains vitamin C. It is a well known scientific fact that to much vitamin C causes blinding migraines.

Can't understand those who complain of headaches nowadays after drinking beer, cos they don't use hops anymore and so there's no vitamin C in it.
oldbikerider
oldbikerider

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 pm

oldbikerider wrote:In the old days when beer was proper beer made with good old Kentish Hops it wasn't the beer that caused the headaches but a surfeit of vitamin C.

Hops were green, anything green contains vitamin C. It is a well known scientific fact that to much vitamin C causes blinding migraines.

Can't understand those who complain of headaches nowadays after drinking beer, cos they don't use hops anymore and so there's no vitamin C in it.

Maybe there IS something else in beers which causes the headache. Tannin found in most red wines is a sure cause for migraines. I have consumed some rather expensive red wines which do not contain Tannin with no ill effect allthumbz but I am a beer man !

Th headache I get when I have some alcohol is just that......a headache, a right blinder, but just a headache !

I have suffered with classic migraines since I was 13 and know to steer clear of all manner of foods, fruits and drinks which cause them but will be damned if I can't enjoy something.............alcohol, mainly ales are my enjoyment. I am now beginning to adapt by trying different beers (no difference there then) and have actually found that I can drink 3 or 4 "Bank's Bitter" with no ill effect. However, I have one of my old favourites "Old Speckled Hen" and a headache shows up after less than half a pint...................just can' figure it out other than the strength of the "Bank's" is 3.8% as opposed to the 5% (?) of the "OSH" drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Beer Intolerent Empty Beer intolerance

Post by oldbikerider Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Old Speckled Hen. Its not a migraine it's a bye product you have 'Foul Pest'
oldbikerider
oldbikerider

Male