The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

3 posters

Go down

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS Empty OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Post by Admin Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:20 am

We try to be more relaxed than other forums here on ASOF but I'm noticing more and more posts that are drifting off topic - Please can members try to keep to the original subject as threads are being overtaken by different subjects totally irrelevant to the original post. By keeping on topic this provides search engines with valuable content and keeps the thread relevant. Please try to understand this simple request.

Thank you.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS Empty OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Post by Dutto Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi there,

I notice that the same subject posted by Admin is "Locked"! rolleyes

What a shame! Whistle1

The very title reminded me of a mate of mine who went into a brothel in Tangiers and ......... well, put it this way, when he got "off topic" the bouncer threw him out! wave wave

What a pity I couldn't tell you about it; which reminds me of the time I was in Rio de Janeiro and this lady said to me ........... lol4 lol4

Anyway, I understand the problem but we should remember that a lot of the "Thread Wandering" takes us all into some very interesting tales and anecdotes! champagne

Ah well, that's my pennyworth so I will sign off with the song "I love to go a wandering ..............etc." shrugg

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Last edited by Admin on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Topic merged)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS Empty Re: OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Post by Admin Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 am

While members may see their off topic responses as harmless banter it breaks up the orginal content and makes it irrelevant. "topic discipline" is very important for maintaining the usefulness of each thread. When search engines crawl our forum they look for content of "value" ie a question on a certain subject is asked and responses that are relevant to the question are given.

The forum would lose it's usefulness if it becomes filled with off-topic posts, messages that seem to be posted just for the sake of mischief, just disrupts discussion and annoy users trying to find out information relating to the orginal post. While we try to be relaxed over this kind of thing most other forums simply don't tolerate it, as it undermines the effectiveness of the discussions.

We have many areas on the forum where these discussions can take place. We are simply and politely requesting members to think before they post and If you find a message on the forum which you feel is off topic or inappropriate, please resist temptation to reply if it causes thread drift.

Many Thanks

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 am

Dutto wrote:Anyway, I understand the problem but we should remember that a lot of the "Thread Wandering" takes us all into some very interesting tales and anecdotes! champagne

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

I personally enjoy the interesting tales myself Ian just as I'm sure others do, but it does disrupt threads. Maybe a solution is to quote a post then start another thread in a different section like the Discussion Lounge or Fun Chat maybe?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shelldrake Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I have to agree with Admin about those who loose the thread and go way off topic. Now that I have found this wonderful site, I have limited my posts on another site as I felt that any simple question asked was met with a load of drivel.
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down