The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AS Broadway

3 posters

Go down

AS Broadway Empty AS Broadway

Post by newterry Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Today, 1pm, J9 eastbound M27.
Brace yourselves for a rant...........

AS Broadway, AU 60 ***, it had one of those RV brushy mud flap things, flew past me at aforesaid junction at more than 80mph ! (by the time I'd crested the rise after J9 it was already up to J10) It was either-

a) Nicked
b) Driven by Meatloaf (Bat outta Hell, geddit?)
c) Late for one of the Portsmouth ferries

If none of those apply, is it right thrash a nearly new and expensive coachbuilt at warp speed ??? If the owner is an ASOF member, perhaps they would like to put me out of my misery. police

Is it me ?

Rant over .....

ps, if they were late for a ferry I might let them off ! fight

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

AS Broadway Empty Re: AS Broadway

Post by Campievanner Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Im sure it wouldn't do it any harm. you see enough commercial vans flying along.

just wouldn't want to see the fuel consumption though.....being a coachbuilt

Incidentally, we discovered our Duetto had a fixed ecu speed limiter (as we then found all Transits do) at 99mph (indicated 105 mph) this is due to commercial tyre ratings so we were told. please dont think that is how we drive though, generally went about 62mph maximum, for all its life, just felt the need to see how fast it was just once.
Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Stratford
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 pm

I hear what you're saying about the robustness of the base vehicle, it just seems at odds with the motorhoming way of travelling.
You just don't expect a 'van the size of a Broadway to be driven like a GTI !
I wouldn't like their fuel bill either, maybe they were chasing a ferry after all, when we passed the docks area there was one getting all steamed up ready to go.
My 14year old 1.9TD Harmony needs holding back and will easily top 70mph if I let it go, as soon as the Cruise Control is fixed it'll be set at 58mph max. as I'd like to get closer to 30mpg and stay relaxed for the journey.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 am

newterry wrote:.............. ..... I'd like to get closer to 30mpg and stay relaxed for the journey.

Me too; except that on the Duetto we are averaging 35mpg!! allthumbz

Always remember "It is better to be twenty minutes late in this world than twenty years early in the next!" hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Well said Dutto, always better late than never. I envy your 35mpg !! Hopefully the cruise control, when its finally sorted (next Wednesday will end the 12 week saga) will get me a bit closer to your average.

My next 'spotter' target is an Amethyst/Legend I saw briefly in Stokes Bay a couple of weeks a go. By the looks of the thick green mildew across the front of the roof it had never, ever, been cleaned- will report back if I see it again.

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi there,

I have to point out that the 35mpg mark is ONLY achieved if you just trundle along at the most economical rate and totally ignore anyone who insists that you HAVE to go faster! wave

As a general rule, we maintain a steady 46mph for most of the time. Apparently this infuriates some people and occasionally an idiot tries the "I will intimidate you into going faster by getting really close to your rear bumper."

When this happens I just go slower and slower until they realise that they have to either back off, overtake or hit the back of the vehicle; and so far even the dumbest of them has chosen options one or two! up!

Despite the increase in fuel prices over the ten years that I have been retired my motoring probably costs me no more today than it did ten years ago! This is purely because I now get much more miles per gallon than I did when I was zooming around like an idiot and complaining bitterly about boring old farts in motorhomes who just wouldn't speed up or let me past!!

Is that what's called "irony"? scratch head lol4

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down