The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust Issues

4 posters

Go down

Rust Issues Empty Rust Issues

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:50 pm

The Rienza is in the garage for service and MOT and our garage said the rust proofing needs re doing before any rust issues start.
I did it myself with Bilt Hamber on the drive eight years ago when we bought the van. Not too bad considering I had the use of a workshop and ramps before that. As much as I hate to admit it I don’t think my arthritis will let me spend two days on my back on the drive. One day fitting a bath panel nearly crippled me last year.
There’s a lot of factors coming into any decision about this. 1 The van is nineteen years old. 2 It has only 65,000 miles on the clock, 3 We are both heading rapidly towards the end of sixty years old.
I have pondered about swapping to something smaller but the layout and being on Ford base that’s not going to be an easy task within an affordable budget.
Has anyone had rust proofing carried out or have feedback from anyone that has such work done around our corner of Lincolnshire or over the border into Yorkshire.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Rust Issues Empty Re: Rust Issues

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:31 pm

My concern about the rust have become a minor issue. As part of the service I asked the garage to confirm my thoughts regarding difficult cold starting. Three glow plugs are faulty / shorting hence the fused link being burnt out. They have managed get two plugs out. One is very tight. The last one has snapped off in the cylinder head. censored! It looks like the head will have to come off to rectify that.
At 65000 miles it’s infuriating that it’s come to this. Modern engines are certainly not built like the Gardeners I have worked on. Yes they leaked oil and smoked but it took a lot to kill them.
After spending as much as will take to carry out the repairs it gives us even more reasons to have it rust proofed and keep it.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:34 am

The Rienza is home. The garage managed to remove the broken glow plug without having to take the cylinder head off. They tried an extractor but broke a drill bit on the first attempt.
No doubt the bill is going to a bit painful on the pocket because there’s ten hours labour just to change the glow plugs. This further makes me want to keep it and have the rust proofing done professionally later this year.
My friend told me of a Rienza six months younger than hours with the same milage advertised for £26988. We paid £22000 eight years ago plus ours has the solar panel and extra leisure battery.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:47 am

Shows how the hold their price.    When we changed our Rienza (same year and mileage)  the dealer sold it on for £25,500 and that was in 2014 (I think)
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:51 am

The bill was a bit painful. One wheel bearing ,one brake pipe and changing the glow plugs cost £1200 in labour before VAT and parts. The glow plugs were only £10 each. 
I have found a place near Doncaster that will do the rust proofing so that will be a job for later in the year once the summer travels have slowed down and my pocket has recovered a bit. 
 A bit off topic but thinking of price rises I suppose this may be why insurance companies have pushed there prices up in recent years.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 pm

Dave 418 wrote:The bill was a bit painful. One wheel bearing ,one brake pipe and changing the glow plugs cost £1200 in labour before VAT and parts. The glow plugs were only £10 each. 
I have found a place near Doncaster that will do the rust proofing so that will be a job for later in the year once the summer travels have slowed down and my pocket has recovered a bit. 
 A bit off topic but thinking of price rises I suppose this may be why insurance companies have pushed there prices up in recent years.
Dave, has the new glow plugs seen a noticeable improvement in the starting while cold?
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:23 am

Since the glow plugs were changed it has been parked up. We were meant to be away this week but thought better of it due to the weather. I will try starting it tomorrow and report back.
If we were fair weather travelers I could have left the glow plugs but what’s the point in only using it during the summer. shrugg
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

MalMonty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:13 am

I can now update regarding the repairs but before I do that I will explain the original problems. Skipton Car Park February with frost on the ground. Fused link burnt out. Easter last year Kirkby Stephen difficult to start misfire and smoked until warm. Norfolk November last year same problem.
This morning after the being stood for two weeks and warmer weather in a shelter location it started straight away with no misfire or smoke.
As with most modern engines the glow plugs are mostly used for emissions unless it’s very cold but older Transits certainly are of a time that need them in cold weather.
From my breakdown days it wasn’t always glow plugs that caused poor starting for diesels. The way a diesel engine works it needs to crank at a reasonable speed to start. If the battery was past its best the glow plugs finished the battery. I knew of a farmer that tow started his truck every winter rather than buying a new battery.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:29 pm

We had our old Transit Pollensa Dinitrol treated, which isn't cheap, but like you, I'm past crawling around under vehicles. Not sure if there's a treatment centre near you that could accommodate a motorhome.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:40 pm

My father used Supertrol to treat his Rover 95 and his MG,s. I believe Dinatrol superseded it. Before I decide were to have ours treated I will do some research.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:53 pm

Further to my last I have just checked regarding Dinatrol treatment in this area and the place near Doncaster use it so it’s looking favorable for later this year.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down