The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replace exisiting solar panel with this.

4 posters

Go down

Replace exisiting solar panel with this. Empty Replace exisiting solar panel with this.

Post by chrsfrm Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:11 am

Hi all.
2014 Broadway EK with standard 80W solar panel via the Sargent 328.
I believe the 328 can take a 120W panel with no other mods.
So thinking of replacing it with this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The dimensions are virtually identical.

Does anyone see any issues with this? eg. connecting direct to the 328, extra/increased fusing, etc.

I have considered leaving what I have in place and adding another panel with Victron MPPT but roof space is tight.

Many thanks

Chris
chrsfrm
chrsfrm

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Replace exisiting solar panel with this. Empty Re: Replace exisiting solar panel with this.

Post by CC Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:25 am

I would upgrade to the 120w panel with a Victron MPPT controller, have this setup on our Broadway & it’s been more than enough, sometimes think people are over the top with their solar installations. Originally had a harness that plugged into the Sargent unit but using a standalone Victron controller worked so much better plus being able to monitor your solar status / stats on the app is brill.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

chrsfrm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Replace exisiting solar panel with this. Empty Re: Replace exisiting solar panel with this.

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:42 am

Read through the thread linked below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

chrsfrm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chrsfrm Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I assume you have kept the single Leisure battery and it has proved adequate?
I'm on EHU a lot so I should be OK.
I'll probably go for the larger panel and MPPT set up.
Chris
chrsfrm
chrsfrm

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:05 pm

The existing dual channel solar controller in the EC328 provides excellent service and charges both vehicle and leisure batteries at the same time, and that facility is ideal to keep all batteries in good condition all year round.

If you had a later EC500 or EC700 that have a not so good single channel solar controller, an MPPT controller would harvest more energy but I've had an EC500 with 80W panel and single leisure battery for 12 months now and find the standard installation perfectly adequate for up to five days off EHU from April through to October.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

chrsfrm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:52 pm

I have done as CC say's and have a 120w with MPPT and the main thing is I turn the power hungry Sargent off when the van is not in use, ie on our drive. So far for the last 5 years I have never needed EHU and both batteries are fully charged all the time. The controller sends 1a to the vehicle battery and the rest to leisure.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

chrsfrm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:10 pm

rgermain wrote:I have done as CC say's and have a 120w with MPPT and the main thing is I turn the power hungry Sargent off when the van is not in use, ie on our drive. So far for the last 5 years I have never needed EHU and both batteries are fully charged all the time. The controller sends 1a to the vehicle battery and the rest to leisure.
But I guess you have an ec500 not an ec328 and in that case you did the right thing, but if you have an ec328 you are better leaving we'll alone.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

chrsfrm likes this post

Back to top Go down