The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just be careful out there,

+7
Askit
Peatlander 2
Kdc
RML
Tinwheeler
IanH
groundhog
11 posters

Go down

Just be careful out there,  Empty Just be careful out there,

Post by groundhog Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm

I am not old at 75, not overweight, recent medical said I was very fit and nothing falling off but you know how it is, the point in life comes when everything just takes a little longer and you need to be a bit more careful doing it. Last week I was up on the roof repairing a leak, stupid thing to be doing, the roof was wet, it was a quick job I didn't bother with a scaffold tower, got away with it though.
Today I decided ( well Lady G decided) an acer tree needed pruning, tried with my long petrol poll saw which I can hardly now lift, let alone hold in place, failed and  foolishly decided the best way was to just climb the tree with a reciprocating saw and do it that way. Shall I put a harness on (nah, its only a quick job), climbing boots, nah trainers are fine.
All went well until of course I found myself hanging upside down with my one leg trapped between two branches and the other scrabbling to grip anything. I no longer have the strength to pull myself back up and for what felt like half an hour I just hung there completely stuck whilst Lady G tried all manner of ladders and methods so I could move..
I suggested the fire brigade and pretending to be a cat, then she came up with the idea of cutting off the offending branch that my leg was wedged by. Can't say I was that keen on a reciprocating saw that close to my leg, but, eureka it worked and down I came fortunately gently.

I am now grounded at the risk of divorce.

I am no H&S freak, quite the opposite but the moral here is if there is any doubt just don't do it, don't go climbing on things, lifting things and the like, just accept we are all getting older and want to continue doing so for many years yet. tap_fingers tap_fingers oh_blast!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Cymro, Slaphead, mcalid and gassygassy like this post

Back to top Go down

Just be careful out there,  Empty Re: Just be careful out there,

Post by IanH Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:47 pm

Roof was bad enough, of all people you should understand gravity and M1V1 = M2V2

Trees are bloody dangerous and a lot heavier than most realise. We had an overhanging big branch at our farm, overhanging such that if it fell naturally it'd hit the house.

Got bloody big rope, got it over a higher branch and tied the other end to my pick-up truck, other end around offending branch.

Managed to persuade myself all was good and safe!

Got above offending branch with chainsaw, cut it through.

It went downwards, remember gravity (?) the pick -up went up, virtually vertically, almost equilibrium in terms of weights!! THAT I hadn't considered....

I'm 72 now, you're 75, both of us should know better...

Shall I ask Robert to pop round? scratch head confused3

https://www.rbelltreeservices.co.uk/
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

groundhog and gassygassy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:59 pm

I know a good one too and a bit closer to home.

https://geoffhamtreeservices.co.uk/

Glad you survived to tell the tale, GH. We're supposed to get wiser as we grow older but, being in the same age range, I’m not so sure.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 pm

Ironically our son is a qualified tree surgeon 🌳
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

bikeralw and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:13 pm

You couldn't make that up.......
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:15 pm

lol4 lol4 lol4
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:51 am

April 2016 I was stood on the 4th rung of of a ladder cleaning the roof of the MH.  Next thing the foot of the ladder slipped away and down I went. Luckily (?) I had a stand-off bracket attached to the top of the ladder otherwise I would have broken all my fingers as I was holding on tightly, but I still suffered an exposed fracture to my left elbow and broke my right patella into 4 equal pieces - never seen before by the A&E team.  I thought it safer to stay on the ladder rather than get on the roof but looking back I think my movement with the long handled brush resulted in the ladder gently walking back on the soapy concrete.  Also glad about my fingers as I play the guitar.   Who knows what's around the corner. 
Glad you survived!
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:02 am

Being in the same age group I have now learned one thing…….
My mind and my body are ageing at a different rate. I think I am going to do something  and often my body says uh uh no your not and find I carn’t.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:24 am

RML wrote:April 2016 I was stood on the 4th rung of of a ladder cleaning the roof of the MH.  Next thing the foot of the ladder slipped away and down I went. Luckily (?) I had a stand-off bracket attached to the top of the ladder otherwise I would have broken all my fingers as I was holding on tightly, but I still suffered an exposed fracture to my left elbow and broke my right patella into 4 equal pieces - never seen before by the A&E team.  I thought it safer to stay on the ladder rather than get on the roof but looking back I think my movement with the long handled brush resulted in the ladder gently walking back on the soapy concrete.  Also glad about my fingers as I play the guitar.   Who knows what's around the corner. 
Glad you survived!
Rich..
Ouch that must have hurt, just so easy to slip, lift something awkwardly or drag your pickup in to the sky (couldn't resist Ian)!

Thirty years ago I was told I would never walk again after jumping off a wall and smashing up both legs, you would have thought I would have learned but no, stupidity continues to rule my life.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:27 am

Fell off a roof a while back...sliding down the slates, not too bad, landing in a flowerbed, not too bad...but see when my tailbone hit the cast iron gutter? Oooft.

Left leg isn't working right yet...not been out on the bike as I can't support the weight of it when i put my foot down. To add insult to injury I also decided to fall out of the hab door in the van...had some help with that one from an over excited spaniel...

But ..why did I fall off the roof?  The 12 yr old in my head said it was a good idea to walk along the ridge to the chimney stack instead of simply moving the ladder. Yes, it was a good idea. Until it wasn't.
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:40 pm

Glad you survived OK GH, don't suppose your wife had the presence of mind to get the camera out? Could have got you a few bob from Harry Hill snigger

My guess is most of us overestimate our ability to undertake the kinds of things we did when a tad younger. I am no longer able to climb our "big" ladder up to clear the top gutter, partly I get dizzy and partly I don't have the strength. A few months ago I had a very sore foot which meat putting most of my weight on the heel. I was having a shave one morning and noticed I had made the bathroom tiles below me wet. As I stepped back with my good foot and........yes, you got there before me. I went  to full skating rink mode as both feet went away from me. Fortunately I landed on the floor but missed both the toilet and radiator, although I don't know how. Sometimes life is like living in an obstacle course shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:18 pm

"A few months ago I had a very sore foot which meat putting most of my weight on the heel. I was having a shave one morning and noticed I had made the bathroom tiles below me wet".

You sure that shaving was why the floor was wet Tony?  You are getting older  hugegrins
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:22 pm

You are not suggesting Tony spilt his whisky surely!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Dave Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:40 am

It's not just falling off things, I managed to fall off my own feet. Council bin lorry was in the road so I rushed to put out a neighbour's wheelie bin for them. While nipping up the pavement I went a bit too fast for my own legs and crashed to the ground. One minute I'm running along, the next I'm flat on my face. Off to A&E, who x-rayed and told me I'd fractured around my eye socket in five places. I had a line of bruises on my left upper arm, which were where my right knuckles had dug in, so it seems I didn't even put my hands out to break my fall. That was a few years ago and I've had various problems on that side ever since. Made me realise that I was not as young as I used to be. A lot more careful now: put the bins out the night before!
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:19 pm

groundhog wrote:You are not suggesting Tony spilt his whisky surely!

The trouble is, I don't spill my whisky rolleyes

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

groundhog and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:43 pm

The mention of trees and lucky escapes brings to mind a local village garage owner removing a tree from his forecourt.
He sent his son up the tree to trim the upper branches and attach his ancient recovery truck. The guy started winching before he remembered his son was still up the tree. In panic he stalled the truck and the winch jumped out of gear. The tree wiped back accompanied by a scream.
Luckily the lad up the tree managed to hold on but had to be helped down because he said he was too scared to let go. We laughed afterwards but the relationship between father and son was a bit strained for a while.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Slow-Lane likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:56 pm

Kdc wrote:Being in the same age group I have now learned one thing…….
My mind and my body are ageing at a different rate. I think I am going to do something  and often my body says uh uh no your not and find I carn’t.
A few months ago I thought I would remove the rear wheel of my Transit MH and change the discs and pads.
After standing on a long extension bar with a scaffold pole on the end of it I managed to undo  the wheel nuts.
I know that wheels stick to discs but even hammering the tyre with a sledge hammer I couldn't loosen the wheel off the studs.
I replaced the nuts and left the disc to rot until I could bring myself to pay  sensored1 someone to do it.
That was a previous mh. I never did get new discs and brakes. Now I have a sprinter based one with electric brakes I have no hope at all. (Though I did change a wheel when I found a slow puncture).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down