The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habcheck

4 posters

Go down

Habcheck  Empty Habcheck

Post by Ellie-mae Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:02 pm

Good Morning Everyone
I’m sorry to harp on about this hab check again and thank you to everyone who helped me with answers to my previous post regarding home hab checks vs taking the van to a centre.
I’ve just booked my Habcheck for Wednesday and the young lady who I dealt with is suggesting an “extra” in the form of an anti bacterial flush at a cost of £99.
I’ve never had this done before…I normally just sluice the tank with hot soapy water.
Do you all think this is worth doing? Or is it a money spinner and should I just buy a product from Amazon and do it myself?
Thank you for your advice, as always.
Kind regards
Ellen

PS Forgot to say I’ve elected for an “on the drive” habcheck from the company Habcheck

Last edited by Ellie-mae on Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to say home habcheck)
Ellie-mae
Ellie-mae

Female

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Habcheck  Empty Re: Habcheck

Post by RalphHughes Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:58 pm

At the end of the season I flush out the tanks a couple of tmes and then before we start up again put some steriliser in the tanks, leave for a few hours and then flush through the taps, hot water etc and then flush out 2 or 3 times with fresh water
I always add Aqua Tabs to the resh water tank when filling
£99 sounds a lot when it's a simple job to do yourself if a little time consuming

RalphHughes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 1996

Ellie-mae likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:43 pm

I’d save your money and buy some extra time away instead, Ellie.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Ellie-mae, George Collings and gassygassy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:40 pm

In Plumbing lessons we learned about Legionella disease - which you have nothing to fear of, I should hastily add. Legionella occurs when warm water is left in a tank to stagnate for over three months. Usually in a country with a hot climate, or at the top of a multistorey hotel with big water tanks and heating. It wouldn't happen if you left water in the tank in your motorhome in this country for the winter because the poor little beggars won't breed, it's too cold.
Secondly that all our tap water contains chlorine, specifically to kill any bugs.
Thirdly, a plumber must not leave a pipe with a dead end, longer than 300mm (one foot) because some bugs might breed in the stationary water.

So all I do is to drain all the water before leaving the last resting place (not THAT last resting place, I mean your last camping stop) before going home. Leave all the taps open and the tank drain open. As you drive around the remaining water might well find its way out.
Then before setting out on our next trip I refill with tap water, and happily drink it while away. Personally I don't bother with the sterilising tablets. I've had the operation anyway.
There's no harm in putting in some cleaning tablets if you want to, or that baby sterilising stuff -Milton I now recall - (it doesn't always work, some babies who have drunk from sterilised bottles continue in life to produce further children).
HOWEVER there is harm in paying someone £99. Harm to your personal finances. If they mean pay them £99 to make your carpets smell of roses, that's fine and dandy if you like crawling around on all fours smelling your carpet. Otherwise spend the money on ice creams, croissants and jelly babies.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum