The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air suspension?

5 posters

Go down

Air suspension? Empty Air suspension?

Post by Suzan Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:02 pm

Hi we are considering having air suspension fitted to our 2008 Nuevo to lift the back up as we use a bike rack that fits on the tow bar and it grounds on bad roads now and then has any one had this fitted is it Worth the money approximately £600.
Suzan
Suzan

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Air suspension? Empty Re: Air suspension?

Post by Cymro Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:50 pm

I assume you're thinking of a bellows-type system, such as Al-Ko Air Rides.

I had those fitted to my new Nuevo about 4 months after getting the van. That was 8 years ago. In those 4 months I didn't drive far, so my ability to compare before and after is negligible. That said, I installed them because of threads on this Forum which were overwhelmingly positive.

I don't regret it. I have the high Luton Nuevo, with quite a lot of heavy stuff stored up in the Luton; likewise I carry two e-bikes on an elevating rack on the stern. The van doesn't roll into bends / roundabouts, and there's no pendulum effect with the bikes overhanging the rear axle by some distance. I attribute that to the Air-Rides. 

Of course, the bellows won't last for ever; it's essential that they are fitted correctly with mounting bolts fitted the correct direction. And they must be maintained at the correct pressure.

I'd certainly put them on any van which I'll own in future - but that's unlikely because of my age, and because I'm satisfied with what I've got (and frightened by the £80+K cost of a direct replacement!). I paid just over £400 for parts and labour in July 2015.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

stephen.murphy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:07 am

One other thing that might be worth checking: is there something about the towbar installation that is causing it to ground out unnecessarily?

I ask, because a few year back I bought a Flair with a towbar already fitted, and that grounded easily. That was because the tow hook had been fitted on an extension to lower it. I took the extension plate off and had no more problems - it was completely unnecessary for my type of use (but was probably necessary for the previous owner, who towed a trailer).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen.murphy Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:02 pm

Can anybody recommend a system or supplier for the rear two airbags please. Looking to fit to a Corinium Duo 2019 with the ALKO chassis. Need to get the ample overhang up when I compound the issue with my tow-bar mounted bike rack. Thanks
stephen.murphy
stephen.murphy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:18 pm

Hi Stephen
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington , I had Alko-air top rear suspension and Dunlop air rides fitted to my last 4 A/s vans, Not ALKO chassis, other members with the same type will advise.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down