The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware online scams.

2 posters

Go down

Beware online scams. Empty Beware online scams.

Post by bikeralw Wed 4 Oct 2023 - 15:36

That time of year again, booking our annual trip to NZ. For many years now we've booked direct with Emirates with no hassle whatsoever.
However on advice from a friend that we could get just the same flights cheaper by going through an online booking company we thought we'd give it a go.
An online search came up with a reputable booking company, I won't say which one, but one of the words I've mentioned just needs a dot com after it.
Lo and behold, the price was £200 cheaper than Emirates direct, so we selected the four flights, two outbound in December and two inbound in March. Next page was choosing our seats on all the flights, finally payment of the agreed amount by credit card. Nationwide BS then sent me a text to verify the amount, and the booking company website said they'd send a confirmation by email. Just as I was about to close the laptop a page came up saying the price was no longer valid because the airline had increased their price, and I would be required to pay another £600 to secure our tickets, and did I still want to go ahead! I declined and closed the laptop saying what a waste of half an hour...
I then got a phone text from the booking company saying my account would be credited back within 2 to 5 working days! So they'd taken the original agreed amount of money despite me terminating the booking.
I called their helpline and complained about their dubious methods, they then refunded my payment at 10pm last night...

We've now booked direct with Emirates, and their price hadn't gone up at all...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Cymro, mikethebike, Slow-Lane and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Beware online scams. Empty Re: Beware online scams.

Post by The Jacobite Wed 4 Oct 2023 - 16:33

Glad you got it sorted. I don't book flights often, but when I do, it's never online. A quick visit to the local agents shop and you can be assured it's a safe transaction. They have access to all the available "deals" and offers etc, so better safe than sorry.
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down