The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remis Winder skylight broken

+5
gemdeco
Molly3
Mabli
babian
imaxrobinson
9 posters

Go down

Remis Winder skylight broken Empty Remis Winder skylight broken

Post by imaxrobinson Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:26 pm

I have currently got my large Remis skylight gaffer-taped shut, as the winding mechanism has gone. It appears that this is a frequent fault and I note that new Autosleeper motorhomes now use Heki ones with a push-up bar.
Am I advised to replace the Remis mechanism and hope that the new one doesn't break, or is it wiser to spend more money and get a Heki put in?
imaxrobinson
imaxrobinson

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Remis Winder skylight broken Empty Re: Remis Winder skylight broken

Post by babian Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Make sure that is not just the control cables that have not just come unclipped.
Worth checking before making a purchase.
Hope this might help, good luck.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mabli Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:09 pm

We have the same problem, as you say it seems to be a common issue!  We've been in contact with Willersey recently regarding the same dilema - a) replace with a Heki or b) replace the winder mechanism??  The problem we discovered was that in our Broadway, the Remis is larger than the standard Heki, but smaller than the Heki 2, therefore they would have to enlarge the aperture to fit the Heki 2.  There is also a price difference of over £500 between option a) and option b)!!  
We reviewed information on this matter on this forum, and decided to opt for option b), and ensure that we lubricate the seals in future, as well as putting pressure on the roof light glass to assist the opening.  (Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!!).  We're booked in to have it done in October, and all fingers and toes will be crossed whenever we open it in future!!  
It's worth you having a read of the links shown here under "Similar Topic". Good luck with it!!
Mabli
Mabli
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:29 am

The seals get very sticky with age lubrication is a short term , fix replacing the seal is a simple fix , I used to break the seal using a credit card before I fitted a new seal ,

Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Mabli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Remis Winder skylight broken Empty remis repair

Post by gemdeco Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:56 pm

Hi If it is the same skylight as fitted to a 2010 Gloucester ,I renewed the centre gear wheel, quite cheap and an easy job, they come colour coded in different length's and need spacing out with washers
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:39 pm

The Remis on my Nuevo just would not operate more than an inch or two and was very stiff and noisy. But by pushing upwards on the roof light plastic as Mabli says to help it on its way it was then much improved. You can then open it fully and get a small pair of steps to stand on and look down into the cable channelsi to lubricate them and then take out the six small screws to reveal and carefully check the winder mechanism. This may be your answer. I now always apply upward pressure to take off the load when opening and also closing. If this works it will save an awful lot of money.
I also wash most of my roof through the roof light.
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:58 pm

Slightly off topic but the same as the hab door, always close it on to latch and then gently push it shut in a two step fashion, never just shut it. Same as not assisting the rooflight learned that the hard way! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:17 pm

I’ve just received my replacement winding mechanism for our roof light, now all I need is some dry and calm weather to fit it.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:14 pm

groundhog wrote:Slightly off topic but the same as the hab door, always close it on to latch and then gently push it shut in a two step fashion, never just shut it. Same as not assisting the rooflight learned that the hard way! allthumbz

I never knew that. I usually give ours a good slam, with point of contact about equidistant from the upper and lower latches. But I'll try a gentler, two stage approach if it's less likely to cause damage. 

Thanks for the tip.

Cyro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

groundhog likes this post

Back to top Go down