The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I buy

+3
Rocky
bikeralw
Doddsy
7 posters

Go down

Should I buy  Empty Should I buy

Post by Doddsy Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:50 pm

Hi I'm a new member I could do with some help, I'm in the process of buying a nuevo 2008 done 5600 miles , the problem I have it's never had a service from new. Should I go ahead and buy  thankyou
Doddsy
Doddsy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Should I buy  Empty Re: Should I buy

Post by bikeralw Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:22 pm

Did the previous owner do their own servicing? In many cases if they were mechanically competent the van could be in better condition than if it had a full service history. 
Since my van was about ten years old I've done all routine maintenance myself. The only things it goes to the garage for are new tyres and cambelt change.
However I do document everything I've done.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:13 pm

Doddsy,

Personally, I would be wary of a van that has only done an average of 460 miles a year.  That's a lot of time standing around and mechanical aspects deteriorate/seize if they are not run.  Has the van been SORN, or has it got a continuous history of MOT passes?  The lack of a professional servicing history would also concern me - Al is right about competent home servicing but I'm guessing that you would have been told about this in your initial enquiry.  Has it had habitation checks every year?

Lots to think about and check; my advice is to tread carefully.

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Nue and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Knick-Knack Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:43 pm

It will also depend how much you are paying.

If you want reassurance, you could get an AA check on the mechanics (if they still do them) and a habitation check before you commit.

Both would (presumably) have to be at your expense, and risk.

Nick
Knick-Knack
Knick-Knack

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2009

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:48 am

A clue as to how well the van has been maintained may be in the age of its tyres.  No tyre should be older than 7 years.  If any are, maintenance may not have been a high priority and they will need to be replaced.  You should also check for tyre cracking as this van must have spent a great deal of time stationary.  A check of the battery voltages could be revealing.  If either is significantly below 12.7V it shows it has not been maintained in a fully charged state which is life shortening and indicative that the battery may need replacing.  Try using the wiper blades.  If they are perished or worn they will leave streaks on the windscreen which is also indicative of poor maintenance.  Normally when oil or a filter is changed a label shows the date it was done.  Look out for this including the hydraulic oil.  If it has gas bottles their rubber pipes need periodic replacement.  As the van has clearly had long periods out of use, it would be worth checking the cab aircon still works.  If you buy the van without a proper record of its maintenance, the first thing you will need to do is pay for a full vehicle and habitation service.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

IanH and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:54 pm

I would  have thought  it would have been serviced  and hab checked  during its warrenty period.? Check MOT history is the 5600 miles a typo
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:07 am

Daddy hasn't visited forum since 16th September so no point in further comments.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Cymro and Bobskate like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum