The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling all Inca EL owners

2 posters

Go down

Calling all Inca EL owners Empty Calling all Inca EL owners

Post by pilchard Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:54 pm

Having just sold our 2001 Auto-Sleepers Symbol Boxer 2.8HDI for a very acceptable 14k, we are currently looking to buy a mid 2000s Rear Lounge Auto-Sleepers Inca. Auto-Sleepers because we like the build quality, Inca because it is just below 6 metres in length, has an end lounge which we prefer because the lounge/bed is located so it doesn't split the van in half so leaving whoever is out of bed first the full and unrestricted freedom to use the rest of the van, provides couches big enough for two adults to lounge feet-up, and also keeps the bed/lounge away from the coldest/draughtiest part of the van.

Our problem is we have never set foot inside one and would like to learn from Inca owners exactly how the lounge converts into a bed and how quick and easy it is. One of the reasons we sold the Symbol... apart from it being a little cramped... was the kerfuffle involved in setting out the bed. We slept across-ways so never used or carried the three extra cushions, but it still involved pulling out the main bench and laying the back cushions flat, then laying the rear passenger seat flat across the sliding door opening, then standing on the bed and opening the loft to access our bedding. Laying the bedding out was a real trial, because we use sheets and duvet, and it invariable looked like a bed made up by a 5-year-old. It's the kind of performance you really don't want at the end of the day.

So can End Lounge Inca owners describe the bed-making process and tell me how they rate it for ease and convenience?
pilchard

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Calling all Inca EL owners Empty Re: Calling all Inca EL owners

Post by Peter Brown Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:03 pm

Had one 2006 to 2008. Think centre of bench under rear window pulls forward and backrest drops in.  Zipped two sleeping bags together to make double and made sheet liner. Quick and easy to set up and comfortable.  Massive shower, gas fire and two 13 kg propane bottles mean excellent van on 2.8 Peugeot. We had Luton with massive storage capacity.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:40 am

Peter Brown wrote:Had one 2006 to 2008. Think centre of bench under rear window pulls forward and backrest drops in.  Zipped two sleeping bags together to make double and made sheet liner. Quick and easy to set up and comfortable.  Massive shower, gas fire and two 13 kg propane bottles mean excellent van on 2.8 Peugeot. We had Luton with massive storage capacity.
Thanks for that Peter. I had assumed that was the system but needed to check with someone.
Can you tell me... are the bed supports for that centre section a system of pull-out slats connected to webbing? I am assuming so. 
And are the seats on either side of the van also supported on slatted bases, which hinge up to access storage underneath... or are they solid-backed cushions.
We had the fully slatted cushion support system in a caravan, years back, and found it pretty comfortable.

Both the wife and I hate sleeping bags... I in particular wake up feeling like I've been hog-tied because the bag has got so twisted through the night... that's if I sleep in a single bag: but he double versions are only slightly better and have other probs. There is nothing like snuggling up in sheets under a down duvet.

We tried various ways of making up the bed in the Symbol, one of which was a bed roll, but none of them really amounted to an ideal solution. The bed roll would seem to be the most logical solution, stored in the over-cab, but no matter what we tried, everything ended up in the morning like a rucked-up mess. I, particularly, am a night-time wriggler who will roll from back to side, then front, to other side then back again, several times in the night. The problem stems from not being able to anchor down or tuck in the bottom sheet into anything.

I'm hoping, when I eventually get the opportunity to explore the Inca lounge/bed setup, that I might have a lightbulb moment because neither of us can stand the constriction of a sleeping bag. Though... Duvalay do some interesting looking things.
pilchard

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:40 pm

Sorry I can't help more with construction details,  I can't remember and the photos I have of the interior don't help.

We've gone from sheet an duvet in the fixed bed malvern to duvalays in the Broadway, very happy with them.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down