The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12v fridge

3 posters

Go down

12v fridge Empty 12v fridge

Post by TTCamper Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:04 am

Hi, my query is that having fitted solar and extra battery specifically to allow running of fridge when offsite it won't run. I gather the original format stops the fridge using 12v when engine not running to preserve battery life but I wish to preserve my gas. Have I missed some way of bypassing this built in overrider?
TTCamper
TTCamper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

12v fridge Empty Re: 12v fridge

Post by IanH Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:09 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Our gas.

One Campingaz 907 lasted 18 days in Spain in May. That was 16 days off grid, fridge on all the time, hot water and cooker as needed.

Why bother trying to save gas?

If you use very expensive Campingaz, it is  easily available all over Europe and half the UK price.

Our Calor bottle is for UK use only and a back-up in case we can't actually, find a replacement Gaz....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

12v fridge Empty Re: 12v fridge

Post by rogerblack Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 am

Your original set-up will be designed to power the fridge from the engine battery/alternator only when the engine is running. On our 2002 Pollensa, the relays that control this as well as the split charge setup are under the driver's seat next to the leisure battery.  The only 12V connection from the leisure battery to the fridge is for the ignition when using the fridge on gas. If you wish to power the fridge from the leisure battery, you will have to completely change the wiring, probably by adding a further relay so as to be able maintain the existing setup whilst driving.  

I have the wiring diagram for ours if yours is missing, let me know.

PS: you might find this thread helpful

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by rogerblack on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS added)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down