The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member Introductions

5 posters

Go down

New Member Introductions Empty New Member Introductions

Post by rogerblack Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:03 pm

In view of the significant number of newbies who seem to sign up and post a question straight away, only then to have to be asked in response to introduce themselves, I was wondering whether when they join they actually receive any message requesting an introduction as a matter of course, or is it just a question of relying on them reading the rules.

It's a good few years (11) since I joined so I can't remember how it worked then and it may have changed anyway, however if they are receiving a message I have to wonder why so many seem to ignore it. If they don't get such a note, would it perhaps help if they did?

I know it could be argued that it's good etiquette and they should post an introduction without being asked - I know I generally do anyway when joining a new forum, however I don't know of any other where it's essentially mandatory.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

New Member Introductions Empty Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Dbvwt Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:08 pm

Roger, I have been wondering the same myself recently.
Introductions are great and it winds me up when a new member wades straight in with a question but I guess many are genuine people who simply haven’t realised their mistake.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

rogerblack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:14 pm

It amazes me how many post I have posted please introduce your self and posted the link for them to continue posting on the same thread and still no introduction

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:37 pm

I could have sworn that on registering you were requested to post an introduction but I've just registered another account (deleted it straight away) and nothing to that effect came up, I can only assume this has changed over the years, so I won't be doing more than suggesting it might be nice for new members to tell us a bit about themselves 'if they want to'.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:53 pm

As I’ve just posted elsewhere, if newbies aren’t introducing themselves, it’s a strong indication that they haven’t taken the trouble to read any of the forum rules. 

Perhaps I’m odd in always reading the guidance to newcomers and trying to abide by it when I join a forum shrugg.

It’s the whole of the Welcome Section that newbies need to read but if they’re the type not to bother, I can’t see any reminders/pointers will persuade them to do so.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down