The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton Gas Refilling

+4
glyne lock
FreelanderUK
gef
netsurfa9
8 posters

Go down

Bourton Gas Refilling Empty Bourton Gas Refilling

Post by netsurfa9 Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:31 pm

Hi I have just refilled the gas on my Bourton for the first time. The first 11ltrs went in fast about 2 mins but the remains 6.5 ltrs  took around 10mins filling very slowly and there was a little venting but not much. The van now smells of gas even after standing with the windows open. Is this normal? Or can anyone give any advice. 
Thanks Mike
netsurfa9
netsurfa9

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Bourton Gas Refilling Empty Re: Bourton Gas Refilling

Post by gef Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:47 pm

If the pump stopped after your first 11 litre you should have left it there
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

netsurfa9 and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:50 pm

That’s a long time for filling the tank , I would have the tank checked to make sure the 80% float is not sticking open , not normal for the gas smell insid the van after filling

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

netsurfa9 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:51 pm

gef wrote:If the pump stopped after your first 11 litre you should have left it there

If full and the shut of operated correctly now matter how long you held the button in on the pump it would not fill

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

netsurfa9 and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by netsurfa9 Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:54 pm

Thank you for that. I thought it would take more than that Next time I will stop it and check the under side gauge
netsurfa9
netsurfa9

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:38 pm

so what did the gauge lights read before you filled up.
from what you have said sounds like it was full at 11 ltrs and you have now filled past the 80 % in the tank
if this is correct you my also have now damaged the regulator
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by netsurfa9 Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:42 pm

Hi Glyne The gauge read 10% before and now reads 80% I could send a picture but don't no how to post it
netsurfa9
netsurfa9

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:51 pm

A picture 80% on the gauge and green lights to the fullBourton Gas Refilling 8e2bac10
Bourton Gas Refilling 018a9e10
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:19 pm

I was never trained in bulk gas tanks, and I can't say I have even looked at mine yet, but it sounds to me as if you may have overfilled the tank, in which case liquid fuel may have got into the regulator/OPD. This may be venting off through the pressure relief valve and possibly also through the cooker gas tap spindles if there is excess pressure in the system, hence the smell of gas in the van.

Personally I would be very careful. Any excess gas needs to be vented off before the temperature rises and causes more expansion. You should probably contact a professional LP gas installation firm for advice, or if you can't find one your local fire officer may be able to help. It could be very dangerous to try and simply vent the excess gas to atmosphere.

(Incidentally, it almost looks as if the needle in the gas gauge has come up against a stop at 80%? Also, I would never believe a Gasit gauge and they will not tell you if the tank is over full.)
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

netsurfa9 and gef like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:59 pm

I suspect you have blown the regulator. Try feeling for gas around it, not with a match!

You could drain some off and see if it helps things. When mine went 2 weeks ago after having a new tank installed, was told not to use the gas until getting it checked out. New regulator fitted and problem fixed.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:50 pm

The Bargee wrote:I was never trained in bulk gas tanks, and I can't say I have even looked at mine yet, but it sounds to me as if you may have overfilled the tank, in which case liquid fuel may have got into the regulator/OPD. This may be venting off through the pressure relief valve and possibly also through the cooker gas tap spindles if there is excess pressure in the system, hence the smell of gas in the van.

Personally I would be very careful. Any excess gas needs to be vented off before the temperature rises and causes more expansion. You should probably contact a professional LP gas installation firm for advice, or if you can't find one your local fire officer may be able to help. It could be very dangerous to try and simply vent the excess gas to atmosphere.

(Incidentally, it almost looks as if the needle in the gas gauge has come up against a stop at 80%? Also, I would never believe a Gasit gauge and they will not tell you if the tank is over full.)
this was the reason I asked what the level lights showed before they filled up and as per my picture the gauge stops at 80%
it clearly says stop when it cuts out DONT try putting more in as it sounds like has been done here and was slow as the float valve was trying to stop the liquid gas going in
if its been over filled has a high chance will have damaged the regulator .so this now needs testing
to make this safe if over filled needs sorting but only by a person with the skills to be touching gas
if the regulator is now faulty will damage the items been used on gas from the pressure been to high
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by netsurfa9 Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:52 am

Thanks for all your help I have got it booked in for a gas check to make sure its all ok.
netsurfa9
netsurfa9

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:04 pm

An interesting saga that made me go out and check the gauge on the side of my tank which looks the same as in Glyn's photo with the needle appearing to be resting on a stop at 80% as observed by Bargee.  This is the first time I have checked this gauge which isn't mentioned in the A-S handbook.  I had to lie down on the ground, remove the metal cover, clean the gauge's screen with some spirit and then take a photo of it with my mobile phone as I couldn't read it upside down and at such a sharp angle.  

I don't know if the OP's pump supply cutoff after 11 litres and he then pressed the button on the pump a second time.  If he did, it's not an unnatural thing to do if you're not sure the tank is full.  There is nothing in the A-S handbook that says you shouldn't do this.  

Earlier this year I had a similar experience to the OP.  I don't remember the supply cutting off but it got progressively slower until I eventually gave up as someone else was waiting to use the pump.  I couldn't start the engine whilst I was filling the tank so couldn't use LED gauge.  However, when I left the pump the lights were all green.  It turned out the pump had run out of gas which was confirmed when the next chap tried to use it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:20 pm

The LED gauge is a bit worthless anyway really. I went away with it showing red at the start, thinking I would see how long the fridge would continue to run. Four weeks later, and having used gas heating several mornings, and boiled the kettle numerous times, it was still going strong. When I finally filled it, it took 15 litres.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:44 pm

Bourton Gas Refilling 2d4fc810
This was the amount I could fill to 80% with 1 green light on before I filled up and was why I asked the level but ment the green lights .with 2 green lights can fill 10lts and 1 green light just over 12lts and if you go in the red will get 15lts . To get the amount that was put in by the member of this post would have had to be showing red lights if not has been over filled and needs to be sorted correctly to be safe and was good to see it’s booked in for this to get sorted
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:36 pm

netsurfa9
I just want to say it was good to see you are booked to have the system checked and will be safe to use again.
if it was over filled may have damaged the regulator and if not checked would give you more problems and could do more damage . with the amount of regulators I have tested and found to be faulty and have been damaged from people over filling the tanks. with the danger from gas problems and faults for the cost to be check makes me happy that you are getting this done and will have a safe to use camper .even if its not been over filled will be tested to be sure is safe to use
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by netsurfa9 Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:58 pm

Thank you  for your advice I appreciate  it and for the info on refilling nest time 
Mike
netsurfa9
netsurfa9

Male

glyne lock and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:01 pm

The word thank you is so good to here and helps myself to keep helping others so thank you in return 
I can put myself to rest that your camper is been tested and will be safe to use
Please ask the person doing the check to show you the reset on the regulator so if you should have to reset it will be able to do so .if need be take a picture print a copy and put in the camper book
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:05 am

On my Nuevo the gas regulator assembly is fitted close to the LPG tank and exposed to all the crud that comes off the road. The chap carrying out my last habitation service had difficulty carrying out his checks because of this.  I have since cleaned it up.  Is this a problem?  Should I be cleaning it more often?  Has anyone found a way of protecting the assembly whilst retaining access to it?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down