The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo fresh water problem

4 posters

Go down

Nuevo fresh water problem Empty Nuevo fresh water problem

Post by foxfan55 Thu May 04, 2023 11:36 pm

Hi 

Went to fill the fresh water tank after being empty for the winter. Plugged in the whale submersible pump and nothing. Cleaned the terminals on the pump and outlet. Tested the pump which is working. Will not fill from the mains supply either.
My question is the problem likely to be the solenoid behind the inlet or is it more likely to be something to do with the connection that cuts out the 12 volt power that is in the fresh water tank.
Everything was fine when last used before the winter so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Fox Fan
foxfan55
foxfan55

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Nuevo fresh water problem Empty Re: Nuevo fresh water problem

Post by Caraman Fri May 05, 2023 7:10 am

Yours is older than mine but they all work the same way.  For the Whale inlet socket to work it must we switched on.  On my motorhome this is done through an Autofill button on the control panel.  Electricity will only then reach the Whale inlet socket if its fuse isn't blown and in your case the float switch at the top of the freshwater tank allows it which it won't do if the tank is full.  So you need to check if electricity is reaching the brass contacts on the Whale inlet socket, ideally with a multimeter but if you are sure your external pump works, with the pump.  If electricity isn't reaching the socket the problem is either not being switched on, the fuse (try cleaning the contacts if it's not blown), a bad connection, the tank being full or a faulty float switch.  If electricity isn't reaching the Whale inlet socket the solenoid valve will remain shut and stop any water flow.  If electricity is reaching the Whale inlet socket, when external water pressure is applied to it from the pump or mains water supply, a pressure switch in the inlet socket will close allowing electricity to reach the solenoid valve to open it and allow the water to flow.  If this doesn't happen is it likely to be a fault with the pressure switch or solenoid valve but only if electricity is reaching the inlet socket.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

foxfan55 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri May 05, 2023 8:55 am

There is a water fllter built into the input connector to the solenoid, it is a very fine mesh and easily blocked but also easy to get out and clean.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

foxfan55 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by foxfan55 Fri May 05, 2023 11:10 am

Thanks Caraman

The submersible pump is definitely working as i tested it with a multimeter. Have to be honest not sure which fuse would have blown. Checked the fuses on the power supply unit and they are all ok and have cleaned the external contacts. If its a faulty float switch i suppose that's a workshop job. Autosleeper quoted £65 + vat for a new solenoid but i am reluctant to buy until sure.
I have put water in the tank via the drain tap and all taps are working so the pump in the tank is ok.
foxfan55
foxfan55

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by foxfan55 Fri May 05, 2023 11:14 am

Thanks Pete

The filter is ok. Had it out recently and cleaned. Water went in twice as quick.
foxfan55
foxfan55

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri May 05, 2023 11:21 am

If no electricity is getting to the Whale socket there is no justification for changing the solenoid valve.  I don't know on your PSU which fuse covers the inlet socket.  On my EC700 its the No 5 fuse but yours might be different.  However, if you have checked all your fuses and all the connectors it is likely to be the float switch.  Mine doesn't have a float switch so I am not familiar with it.  Others may be able to help you with that.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri May 05, 2023 11:41 am

There is a relay interface between the tank float switch and the solenoid, maybe it could have eased out of its mounting.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri May 05, 2023 4:03 pm

Peter Brown wrote:There is a water fllter built into the input connector to the solenoid, it is a very fine mesh and easily blocked but also easy to get out and clean.
i have never managed to separate my filter from the solenoid valve itself.  For interest I bought a spare solenoid valve on eBay years ago for about £2 or £3.  I just looked to see if they are still available and couldn't find them but there are many brass ones - 1/2 inch thread for about £12.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri May 05, 2023 4:45 pm

From the OP’s description I’m pretty sure the problem is not the solenoid valve.  The solenoid valve can’t be blamed if no power is getting to the brass contacts on the outside of the Whale inlet socket and therefore it’s pressure switch.  The solenoid gets it power via the pressure switch.  I think check all the connectors first and then look at the float switch and it’s relay switch which I am not familiar with.

Last edited by Caraman on Fri May 05, 2023 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changing float valve to switch - its not a valve)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri May 05, 2023 4:48 pm

My understanding of the OP was that the van wouldn't fill from the mains, ie a hosepipe, that doesn't need 12v to the pump contacts but does need the solenoid to open?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri May 05, 2023 4:54 pm

Peter Brown wrote:My understanding of the OP was that the van wouldn't fill from the mains, ie a hosepipe, that doesn't need 12v to the pump contacts but does need the solenoid to open?
My understanding was that no power was getting to the brass contacts so his pump wouldn’t work and mains water wouldn’t flow.  It won’t flow if no power is getting to the brass contacts and therefore the inlet socket’s pressure switch.  When water pressure is applied to the outlet socket from either a pump or mains water, it first has to overcome the pressure switch which in turn allows power from the float switch to reach the solenoid valve and open it.  If there is no power the valve won’t open and water won’t flow.

Another point of failure is the pressure switch whose adjuster on the back of the inlet socket should be fully unscrewed if not removed.  But if there was a problem with the pressure switch power would still reach the socket's external brass contacts.  So I don't think that's the problem in this case.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down