The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External skirt locker leaking

4 posters

Go down

External skirt locker leaking Empty External skirt locker leaking

Post by superminx Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:09 am

Hi, I have a 2015 Broadway EK 2015 and love it but the external skirt locker keeps getting water in and I cant find out how, previous owners have obviously had the same problem as its had silicon put all down the inside edges but is still leaking, I have hosed all around the out side and underneath but cant see water coming in anywhere but when we use it in the rain or its stands and rains heavy it gets very wet inside?? Any one else had the same problem or got any suggestions how to cure please?
superminx
superminx

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

External skirt locker leaking Empty Re: External skirt locker leaking

Post by Bad Penny Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:33 am

It has always been a problem, my locker door was realigned but made no difference. Maybe take a look at the seals. I treated mine as a wet locker.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by superminx Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:46 am

Thanks for the reply, unless anyone else has any bright ideas I might drill a small drain hole as the water always collects at the front end.
superminx
superminx

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:15 pm

This has been discussed many times on here,you should be able to find the posts by using the search function for either external or wet locker. If you check under the rubber mat you will probably find there are already two "drain" holes. Some have blocked these as water sometimes finds a way in rather than the other way. Others have had the whole locker realigned by AS.

It is possible to adjust the two locks (to tighten the lid), I tried but still get some water getting in. Like BP, I have just accepted it will get wet and use it accordingly and dry it out every so often

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:01 pm

See this thread:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The leak may well be because of the absence / failure of mastic. Look outside the van at the place where - inside the skirt locker - the bottom left hand corner of the locker is. You'll see a horizontal fold, by which the upper and lower parts of the side panels of the van are joined. Now feel inside the locker at that bottom left front corner, and feel / look with a camera at that horizontal fold. It should have mastic. Mine didn't. The factory applied some - and to the corresponding seam on the right hand side of the locker.

I addition, they stuck some sticky-backed foam around all 4 edges of the locker door, which are compressed when the locker is closed.

Those measures sorted my dampness, though I occasionally spray a suitable protective coat on metal things which I store there (hammer etc).  The 4 drain holes, referred to above by Tony, are under the rubber mat, back left and right, and are to allow any substantial amount of water - say off wet items temporarily carried in the locker - to drain.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by superminx Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:35 pm

Thanks again, I appreciate all the advice and help