The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem

3 posters

Go down

Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem Empty Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem

Post by Ready to go Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:20 pm

Temp now regularly above freezing where we are and planning to go away for our first trip, starting this sunday.
Have a 2021 Broadway which was purchased recently.
Drained all of the systems in the autumn but have never filled from scratch.
Looks like I can connect the Whale electronic system to a tap to fill - but presumably the habitation system needs to be switched on for the pump to take on water? ....and, does it stop automatically when full, or might I have an issue with water still coming out over the electrics?

I've got some Puriclean which I plan to make up, and think I need to add that via a jug on the other water inlet.  I understand this dissolves better if the water is at least warm - which I will do.

Once full I understand I then need to open all taps to get the system to drain - once it has had a chance to soak for 1-12 hours.

Keen not to do anything stupid tomorrow which causes a big problem!

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ready to go
Ready to go
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem Empty Re: Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:46 am

Ready to go wrote:Temp now regularly above freezing where we are and planning to go away for our first trip, starting this sunday.
Have a 2021 Broadway which was purchased recently.
Drained all of the systems in the autumn but have never filled from scratch.
Looks like I can connect the Whale electronic system to a tap to fill - but presumably the habitation system needs to be switched on for the pump to take on water? CORRECT - THE POWER BUTTON AND AUTOFILL BUTTONS MUST BE ON ON THE EC700 CP....and, does it stop automatically when full CORRECT - WHEN THE TANK SENSOR SHOWS 100%, or might I have an issue with water still coming out over the electrics? THE FRESHWATER TANK HAS A BREATHER WHICH ALLOWS IT TO OVERFLOW EXTERNALLY AWAY FROM ELECTRICS IF FOR SOME REASON THE AUTOFILL DOES NOT SHUT THE SOLENOID VALVE AT THE WHALE INLET SOCKET WHEN THE TANK IS FULL.  

I've got some Puriclean which I plan to make up, and think I need to add that via a jug on the other water inlet.  I understand this dissolves better if the water is at least warm - which I will do. ITS EASIER TO MAKE UP THE SOLUTION IN AN AQUAROLL OR SOMETHING LIKE IT AND PUMP INTO THE FRESHWATER TANK THROUGH THE WHALE INLET SOCKET USING THE EXTERNAL WHALE PUMP WHICH THE VAN SHOULD HAVE COME WITH. IN THIS WAY THE AQUAROLL, PUMP AND WHALE INLET SOCKET SOLENOID VALVE AND PIPES ALL GET TREATED.

Once full I understand I then need to open all taps to get the system to drain - once it has had a chance to soak for 1-12 hours. IF YOU USE PURICLEAN YOU WILL NEED TO REFILL AND DRAIN TO GET RID OF THE CHLORINE SMELL AND TASTE.  TRUMA DON'T RECOMMEND THE USE OF CHLORINE BASED PRODUCTS.  I USE CITRIC ACID WHICH STERILISES, DESCALES AND DOESN'T LEAVE AN UNPLEASANT TASTE OR SMELL.  I GENERALLY DO IT OVER A COUPLE OF WEEKS WHEN THE VAN IS NOT BEING USED SO EVERYTHING HAS A GOOD SOAK.  I PUMP THE SOLUTION INTO THE TOILET CASSETTE AS WELL AS THE HOT WATER TANK AND ENSURE IT ALL ENDS UP IN THE WASTE WATER TANK SO IT GETS A CLEAN/DESCALE AS WELL.

Keen not to do anything stupid tomorrow which causes a big problem!

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Answers to the above in BOLD CAPITALS
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Ready to go likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem Empty Thank you.

Post by Ready to go Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:47 am

That is all really helpful.  I am now thinking i should use citric acid instead.  Can you give me an idea of what level of concentration i should use and how much I should get?
Ready to go
Ready to go
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem Empty Re: Cleaning and purifying of the water syystem

Post by Paulmold Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:12 am

Puriclean contains chlorine dioxide a different compound from Milton's sodium hypochlorite. I use Aquasol (a liquid not a powder) which also has chlorine dioxide as its active ingredient. I've certainly never noticed any taste and always use water from the tank for everything (rarely drink water other than tea and coffee ). I use it for first fill after van unused for two weeks or more.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:03 pm

Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down