The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on Downsizing

+6
HJA
frederic
Tinwheeler
Dave 418
Dave Gee
john clemence
10 posters

Go down

Advice on Downsizing Empty Advice on Downsizing

Post by john clemence Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:50 am

Hi,
Just looking for a little advice here. We have an Autosleeper Broadway motorhome, a VW T5 camper and a car and as we are both around seventy years old we are thinking about getting rid of the m/home and camper and replace with something in between. I know we will really miss the wonderful facilities of the m/home but it is parked in the drive for 11 months of the year, we had it from new in 2017 and have only covered 16,000 miles! The VW T5 is probably too small so we have been looking at camper based on the “Renault Trafic Sport plus”.
How do people price value their m/homes, we thought of looking at dealer prices and reducing by about 10% or perhaps getting a price from a dealer to buy.
Has anyone downsized from a m/home to a camper with or without major issues?
Just looking for some advice and perhaps a little reassurance!
Regards,
John.
john clemence
john clemence

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Advice on Downsizing Empty Re: Advice on Downsizing

Post by Dave Gee Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:54 am

We went from a coachbuilt to a conversion late last year.  We used the old van as a P/X and, while I didn't get quite as much as I was hoping, it made it easier picking up the new van as I didn't need to take a car and have my wife follow me back, it was hand the van over, jump in the new one and drive away.

The reason the valuation was lower was the lack of a habitation check due to being unable to get one done because of COVID.

Have you tried putting your Reg No into the webuyanymotorhome or webuyanymororcaravan websites?  That might give you a rough idea of what to expect.
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:57 pm

My sister had the dilemma about cars having an Audi Quattro and a small town car. They still needed transport for grandchildren but fancied a camper or motorhome of some sort. 
A coachbuild would have to be big to accommodate three passengers making it not practical for every day use. The VW T5 camper would give them three passenger seats and be useable as an everyday transport the only down side being a lack of washroom. They bought a pop top T5 and mostly use sites when they are away and seem happy with it.
Before we bought our Duetto our list of needs from it were transport for me to get to work and have a washroom of sorts. My aged Landrover was becoming a mechanical burden and loosing the access to a workshop meant it had to go. 
The current Rienza is too big for every day use but we kept managements car when we retired. Not what I really wanted but it works for us because we don’t need transport for work any more. 
When we traded in the Duetto we didn’t get what we thought it was worth to us but the Rienza was a trade in at a caravan dealership and less than other coach builds we had looked at with higher mileage. Also it had a second leisure battery and a decent sized solar panel fitted so we didn’t really loose out too much in the end. It has taken us into retirement and I hopefully it will be with us for a while.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:05 pm

We moved from a coachbuilt AS to a Warwick Duo PVC to a Wildax Pulsar PVC to a Westfalia camper. Each move was getting a bit smaller and each time we p/ex'd the previous van. It was by far the simplest way and, with a bit of haggling, we were satisfied with the price to change on each occasion.

There were no major issues at any time.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:52 pm

T5  A/S Topaz or a Bilbo T5/6 Lezan  both with high tops, toilets and single beds for night visits.
Compact with a good resale value though may be hard to find.
Some of the other Bilbo's have slide out cassette toilets but come with an opening roof
and a choice of chassis lenghts.
( side ones I think are better)
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by HJA Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:13 pm

We downsized from an AS Broadway to a Globecar Summit Prime 640 - same length so we got fixed single beds but narrower & lower. Part exchanged at the dealer.  No issues.  Pleased we made the move.
HJA
HJA

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:59 pm

Valuation is so difficult at the moment, 12 months ago I would have expected to get 38K for our van and now it would be nearer £45k when compared to others.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:01 pm

Downsized from a Sigma ek ( pre- Broadway version) to a Duetto, mistake, purchased a 16 reg Warwick duo, ideal for us, hope to use it more this year.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:34 pm

Downsized from Warwick Duo to Harmony. 2nd biggest mistake of my life. Lost £7k, still glad to see it go, replaced it with another Warwick!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:23 pm

We downsized from a Broadway to a Vantage Neo PVC. We loved the Broadway, but wanted an automatic with a rear lounge. It is similar in length to the Broadway, but much narrower and easier to fit into our tight parking space at home. We got a p/x offer but sold the Broadway separately to a dealer with a slightly better offer. 
So far no regrets.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down