The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie to the world of Auto-Sleepers

+3
Tinwheeler
IanH
Adventure
7 posters

Go down

Newbie to the world of Auto-Sleepers Empty Newbie to the world of Auto-Sleepers

Post by Adventure Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:35 pm

Hello - Adventure from Warwickshire here just checking in to say hello as requested.

I'm new to this world of campervans and have yet to buy. scratch head   So where do I start ?  Well, I have decided upon the Auto-Sleeper so that's narrowed the field a bit.
What's the difference between a Trident and a Topaz ?  I will study the various posts of course.  Do later models (2000 onwards)  still have the 'stirring paint' gearbox ?  (not for me if so).
Do most owners tax their vehicles during Spring/Summer?  Again, I need to study the form !!

It's good to be here anyway. wave 

Happy New Year !!  champagne
Adventure
Adventure

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Not an owner yet
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Newbie to the world of Auto-Sleepers Empty Re: Newbie to the world of Auto-Sleepers

Post by IanH Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:00 pm

Welcome, you've come to the right place!
Happy New Year up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Newbie to the world of Auto-Sleepers Empty Re: Newbie to the world of Auto-Sleepers

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:29 pm

Welcome.

We tax our van all year round and keep it moving. Both the tyres and oily bits will benefit from being used. up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:09 am

Hi
Welcome to the forum from Bridington.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:22 am

asof_welcome2

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:13 am

Re Tax, all yr round for us, it can just as easily be used in winter as rest of year with a bit of thought. As Tinny says they HAVE to be used, mine is out once a week or so if dry (only because I can't be bothered to wash it every time) for at least a 40 mile run. Easy to incorporate lunch in it as well to make it a bit of a day out.

Whatever you do, never start the engine without driving the van, nothing is worse for a modern diesel than idling, start it, drive it and give it a good hard run, do it the world of good!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventure Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:16 pm

IanH wrote:Re Tax, all yr round for us, it can just as easily be used in winter as rest of year with a bit of thought. As Tinny says they HAVE to be used, mine is out once a week or so if dry (only because I can't be bothered to wash it every time) for at least a 40 mile run. Easy to incorporate lunch in it as well to make it a bit of a day out.

Whatever you do, never start the engine without driving the van, nothing is worse for a modern diesel than idling, start it, drive it and give it a good hard run, do it the world of good!
Thanks Ian.   
That's sound advice about starting up the engine and taking it for a run.  I guess diesel or petrol is a personal preference - what do you think ?
There's so much more to this than buying a car - stating the obvious ! The decision making is all part of the journey.

Can you expand on what you like about your particular model and if you were to upgrade an what would you go for? I know that high mileage isn't necessarily a barrier when considering purchase  and that price is a big factor - "spend as much as you can afford"...... I need to have some sort of checklist ...

Thanks in advance.
Adventure
Adventure

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Not an owner yet
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:33 am

asof_welcome2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by aqv1957 Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:11 pm

Welcome, Adventure! You won't regret the choice of an Autosleeper. We're on our second - first a Trooper (like the Trident, based on a VW Type 4, but with a pop-top instead of a permanent high-top) and now a Symbol (based on the Peugeot Boxer MWB and, as it happens, purchased two years ago from someone who's already welcomed you in this thread allthumbz
Presumably, you've decided on the kind of size you want our van. The Trident or Topaz give you space for two people but without a lot of wiggle room and, in the case of the Trooper/Trident, with a narrow bed. We loved Hattie, our Trooper, but decided that with more opportunity to go further afield for longer, we'd prefer something with a bit more space, a wider bed and a loo that we didn't have to stick in a cupboard or behind the bench seat. We opted for the Symbol after a lot of research and are loving it. Another thing to think about, which we pondered long and hard, is if you're after a sliding-door, van-type layout or more of a caravan type layout (with the narrower caravan-type door): in other words, are you looking for a van conversion or a motorhome/moncoque style, like the AS Executive that Ian's got. All personal preference and we decided we love having the sliding door open on a fine day, even if we're not actually outside, so opted for that. 
You'll probably have preferences for what original vehicle you want your AS to be based on. We loved our VW - and the covetable badge certainly paid for itself when it was time to say goodbye - but P actually prefers driving the Peugeot, much to our surprise. We opted for a post-02 diesel model, as there was a change in something-or-other-technical that made a huge difference to the drive and reliability. You'll be able to find that if you google Peugeot Boxer 2003 engine, or something. Some people love Fords, some don't. Some swear by a Fiat. Hmmmm..... 
Your research will be worth it, to get the van you'll love. Have a look at a few and see what you think about the layouts, height, etc. And all the very best to you!
aqv1957
aqv1957
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pm

Adventure wrote:
IanH wrote:Re Tax, all yr round for us, it can just as easily be used in winter as rest of year with a bit of thought. As Tinny says they HAVE to be used, mine is out once a week or so if dry (only because I can't be bothered to wash it every time) for at least a 40 mile run. Easy to incorporate lunch in it as well to make it a bit of a day out.

Thanks Ian.   
That's sound advice about starting up the engine and taking it for a run.  I guess diesel or petrol is a personal preference - what do you think ?
There's so much more to this than buying a car - stating the obvious ! The decision making is all part of the journey.

Can you expand on what you like about your particular model and if you were to upgrade an what would you go for? I know that high mileage isn't necessarily a barrier when considering purchase  and that price is a big factor - "spend as much as you can afford"...... I need to have some sort of checklist ...

Thanks in advance.
You'll be better off starting a new post, as this one is really just about saying Hi.
However as we're here now....
I'd have always said diesel for everything but, actually, for now at least petrol is looking a good option especially with the infestation of LEZ's all over Europe. I had a petrol Harmony, it worked fine did the same MPG as most diesels of similar size and was quiet. However that was far and away the best bit of that MH!
Before this current Executive we had 2 Warwick Duos, and they are still, to me at least the best possible option in many ways. I won't replace the Exec now but if I did I'd simply go for another Warwick Duo, and not the XL either, size being all..
This Exec is a 2.8Hdi turbo diesel and is more than powerful enough for any purpose, it is full of torque, and in the Pyrenees last summer never struggled at all with even the steepest hills. It has only done 45000 miles. All of the monocoques are good in their own ways, the common factor which cannot be ignored is corrosion of the base vehicle. I bought this one knowing it had a clutch problem and a gearbox problem. The reason I bought it was it was completely rust free. Mechanical bits are fairly easy, rust is, imho, effectively incurable.
As it has now had a hell of a lot done to it and is finally near perfect, I wouldn't replace it anyway.
You'll see a lot of people on here saying "each to his/her own" it is very true, we are all, thankfully, different!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down