The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process

+2
IanH
cmsmmwVW
6 posters

Go down

VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process  Empty VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process

Post by cmsmmwVW Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi,
I have been left my mum's Autosleepr Topaz, but never having been in a camper before, let alone prepared one for winter, I have absolutely no idea what I should be doing.  I have looked in handbook and it talks about opening the drain valve on the water heater.  Where is the water heater, and where is the drain valve on the water heater?  I have opened the clean waste and dirty waste taps on the path and it is currently connected to the mains on the driveway.   I live in Merseyside, so the weather can get a bit frosty, and I really do want to be able to use the van next year, so If anyone could give me an idiots guide to what I need to do, I would be very very grateful.
Thanks
cmsmmwVW
cmsmmwVW

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2009

ruby likes this post

Back to top Go down

VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process  Empty Re: VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process

Post by IanH Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:01 pm

First things first, I think....

Be kind to introduce yourself in the welcome section on the front page, then, apart from anything else, other Topaz owners will know you're here....

There are a few Topaz owners on here, but a good start is to use the SEARCH on the top RHS of the front page and ask it what you want.

Another good source of info is the MEMBERS FACTSHEETS section at the bottom of that page.

You may well find what you want in one or both of these.

Also the TOPAZ is dealt with in the VAN CONVERSIONS section....

Don't worry, it's not going to be that cold for a couple of days! up!

Last edited by IanH on Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

frederic, cmsmmwVW, ruby, Bilbobaggins and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process  Empty Re: VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:01 pm

Hi
Welcome to the forum from Bridington,several Topaz owners on the forum, help should be with you soon.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

cmsmmwVW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:39 pm

Hi
1 Make sure the 12v habitation is switched off...panel above the loo doo.
2 open both drain taps on the outside skirt of the van
3 lift the bench seat to expose the plywood cover over the heater and look down the 4" hole in the neat right-hand corner.
4 The drain tap/toggle coloured yellow, is now in view and will probably lie horizontal, left or right
5 Move the toggle to a vertical position. The boiler drain is now open, but it won't drain until you open kitchen and loo basin taps in the hot position. That's the expensive one if it freezes with water still inside.
6. Now open the toilet cassette door and pull down the transparent tube to drain the flush water
If I have missed anything someone will no doubt join in this post.
Welcome to this forum.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

frederic, Roopert and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ruby Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:50 am

Hello,  you just have to make sure all the water is out of the systems because the tanks are underneath and exposed to cold weather.  So what KMRTopaz has said is what I do.  I have never figured out how to remove the water pump as per what it says in the book, so when I drain off the tanks, I leave a bit to be pumped out by the water pump and listen to it - the sound changes when the impeller is running dry.  I let it run dry for a minute or two and then cross my fingers and for five winters it has been fine.  Yes you have to drain off the toilet flush tank as per KMRTopaz' instructions, what I learned from another member it that if you fill a spray bottle with the chemical + water, you can go on using the loo throughout because the waste tank is less likely to freeze and cause a problem  Because, another idea (and is what I do) is use the van regularly throughout the winter.  Mine lives on my drive and I try to use it once a week, sometimes its only once in 3 though.  I never plug it in and I never disconnect batteries, she seems to survive quite ok.  It is alot of fun to drive the van to some destination for a hike or a bike ride or trip to the sea - its a nice warm place to sit and you can always make tea!  or soup or whatever!  Even sleeping out in the cold can be wonderful!
And don't despair over the instruction manual:  for a whole year after I bought my van I kept swearing I'd sell it.  Then slowly, it all began to make sense and become easy.  I'd never be without her if I had my choice.  
Best wishes and I hope you come to enjoy her as much as I am mine.
ruby
ruby

Female

Auto-Sleeper : topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

frederic and cmsmmwVW like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:03 pm

Leave all the taps open whilst out of use.  This includes the shower tap.  If they are mixer taps they should be left in the central position.  Don't forget to drain the shower rose/pipe.  If the van is going to be out of use for several months it's a good idea to sterilise the water system before draining down and again before using it.  Leave doors and cupboards open to improve air circulation.  Clean the fridge and leave its door open with the freezing compartment door wedged open.

Don't be put off using the van just because it's the winter. If you do start the engine make sure you give it a decent road run so everything warms up and the alternator has time to recharge the batteries.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

cmsmmwVW and ruby like this post

Back to top Go down

VW Topaz 2009 - Winterisation Process  Empty THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT - AND TIMELY - ADVICE

Post by cmsmmwVW Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:03 pm

A huge thank you to you all for your kind advice.  I managed to follow the detailed instructions provided by KRMTOPAZ, at just the right time.  After taking care of the water situation, we had our first frosty night the day after.  Phew, we were all drained and survived.

Thank you again, and fair warning, I will be back with more questions!
cmsmmwVW
cmsmmwVW

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down