The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part "glazed" overhead cupboard panel unstuck

+2
Peter Brown
PLOUGHLIN
6 posters

Go down

Part "glazed" overhead cupboard panel unstuck Empty Part "glazed" overhead cupboard panel unstuck

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:47 am

The "glazed" panel has come loose on one of my cupboard doors. What is the best glue to refix it? Panel is a polycarbonate of some sort.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Part "glazed" overhead cupboard panel unstuck Empty Re: Part "glazed" overhead cupboard panel unstuck

Post by Peter Brown Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:53 am

My first attempt would be with clear Solvall Sealfix - a lot of my van has been refixed successfully with it.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Part "glazed" overhead cupboard panel unstuck Empty Re: Part "glazed" overhead cupboard panel unstuck

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:29 pm

Thanks Peter, will try that if I can source it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:08 pm

The first tube I had about ten years ago was from a local plumbers merchant. The only place I've found online is linked below - they are in Northern Ireland, but delivery has always been good. I reglued the top of one of my roof lights about seven years ago and its still solidly fixed as is the shower door hinge and many other bits.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:55 pm

I had to sort mine in June while in France. I found a small tube of what appeared to be the right adhesive in the local Hypermarket and sorted it while away. Can't give you the name now but I will check it tomorrow. It was like a less viscous white Sikafex, had a reasonable slip but dried in a few minutes with a few hours to cure. I removed the wood strip from the hinges and did the job on the table. And hour later I reinstalled the door and left it closed overnight to cure. Perfect and strong result. Easy to put a slim bead into the wood slot with it off the hinges.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

PLOUGHLIN likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:02 pm

inspiredron wrote:I had to sort mine in June while in France. I found a small tube of what appeared to be the right adhesive in the local Hypermarket and sorted it while away. Can't give you the name now but I will check it tomorrow. It was like a less viscous white Sikafex, had a reasonable slip but dried in a few minutes with a few hours to cure. I removed the wood strip from the hinges and did the job on the table. And hour later I reinstalled the door and left it closed overnight to cure. Perfect and strong result. Easy to put a slim bead into the wood slot with it off the hinges.

Product name and/or constituents would be good. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:20 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
inspiredron wrote:I had to sort mine in June while in France. I found a small tube of what appeared to be the right adhesive in the local Hypermarket and sorted it while away. Can't give you the name now but I will check it tomorrow. It was like a less viscous white Sikafex, had a reasonable slip but dried in a few minutes with a few hours to cure. I removed the wood strip from the hinges and did the job on the table. And hour later I reinstalled the door and left it closed overnight to cure. Perfect and strong result. Easy to put a slim bead into the wood slot with it off the hinges.

Product name and/or constituents would be good. up!
En français ?  hugegrins

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:28 am

We took our Nuevo to willersea to get a strip of veneer fixed that had fell off due to the heat as we were going to stay in the Cotswold's for a few days I opened the locker door above the cooker to put some stuff in there and the whole door came unstuck and fell apart in my hands, when we got to Auto sleepers they replaced both upper doors under warrantee and fixed the strip (which fell off again in the heat 30 minutes later.

we fixed the strip ourselves by ironing it back on at the cotton setting. (Auto sleeper wanted to replace the entire bulkhead)
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:10 pm

Hi ,big coincidence, ours fell apart last week while on a trip to St Ives, slotted it back in and temp fixed with 2 dots of superglue , i think Peters idea of a type of silicone sounds more long lasting,so will give that a go Regards    Paul    wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:33 pm

I think the original manufacturer was hot glue, but I don't do enough gluing to warrant the investment - even in a very cheap gun.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:40 pm

I managed to find the tube this morning. It was Pattex - ni clous, ni vis and a very small tube. Hopefully you can find it in the UK. I found it perfect and the small tube helped precision application.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]99
I think Pattex is available in UK.  Good luck

Male

PLOUGHLIN likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:56 pm

Seems equivalent to 'No Nails'

Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:31 pm

Fixed ours with CT1 adhesive, builder recommended it to attach a piece of trim to concrete floor, it doesn't come apart again. Had some left so used that. Seems to be a common problem with these doors!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:33 pm

You may have seen that my tube was 52g and I used something under half of it. As Peter Brown says the translation from the French is No nails, No screws. His tube is much bigger and €13. As I recall, I paid around €6 or 7. After sending my earlier response I saw that Amazon have a Unibond product
that is also 52g, looks similar but takes 24 to 48 hours to cure. There is also a Pattex No Mas Clavos (no more nails) at about £7 for a much bigger tube. I guess I was lucky in that French Hypermarket.

Last edited by inspiredron on Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:59 am

inspiredron wrote:You may have seen that my tube was 52g and I used something under half of it. As Peter Brown says the translation from the French is No nails, No screws. His tube is much bigger and €13. As I recall, I paid around €6 or 7. After sending my earlier response I saw that Amazon have a Unibond product
that is also 52g, looks similar but takes 24 to 48 hours to cure. There is also a Pattex No Mas Clavos (no more nails) at about £7 for a much bigger tube. I guess I was lucky in that French Hypermarket.

Found this one on Amazon, looks suitable.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:47 pm

I sent an enquiry to AS Parts re a suitable glue. They replied today (Sunday?). They don't sell glue but can quote for a new door!!!!.

They did suggest I contact the AS Technical Dept and gave an Email Address,

I have sent an enquiry and the contact address will be useful in future too.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down