The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elizabethan age over, but what next?

5 posters

Go down

Elizabethan age over, but what next? Empty Elizabethan age over, but what next?

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:22 am

As part of discussions over a cuppa yesterday watching the wall to wall coverage of the sad but probably not unexpected passing of HRH one comment from telly was about Elizabethan age, a term apparently coined by Churchill when he was Prime Minister in early days of her reign.

Daughter asked me what this next period will be called, all we could come up with was Charlie's (as in a bunch off), or Charlesian which feel a bit clumsy. Any linguistic experts out there know what proper term will be scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Elizabethan age over, but what next? Empty Re: Elizabethan age over, but what next?

Post by Cymro Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:28 am

If I remember correctly, I think the term is Caroline (or Carolean). The diminutive form of Charles in Welsh is Carlo.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Slow-Lane and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Elizabethan age over, but what next? Empty Re: Elizabethan age over, but what next?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:01 pm

I have seen "Carolean" in the press but I am not sure you would normally take an age from a single monarch, think of the "Tudors", "Hanoverians" etc.

Are we still in the "Windsor" age?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:46 pm

Canada, Australia and a dozen other countries will no longer have the British monarch as head of state.
We have just witnessed the end of an era.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:34 pm

Well what a momentous and rather sad day it has been today, I watching the TV coverages of the funeral for Queen Elizabeth 2nd. I'm no supporter of the institution of the monarchy and all the class system that have their roots going way back from William the Conquer onwards, all his patronages and subsequent monarchs onwards, nevertheless I respect the way she devoted herself as did her father before, following the blight that came from the abdication of Edwards V111.

I say I watched the TV coverage, mostly I watch as I was installing 3 Linux OSs on a spare desktop PC. My wife had chosen to watch the BBC's coverage but in the last hour I switched to channel 3. How refreshing, they let the pictures tell the story, and I found an emotional connection that the BBC hadn't achieved.

My personal context, I remember the change from singing "God save the King" to "God save the Queen" in 1952. In 1953 before the Coronation I remember being taught at school about the sceptre, orb, and crown. So there was a familiarity I had today with these items being featured. I still have a plastic 1953 Coronation combination locking money box and metal gold coloured Coronation carriage and horses.

What were your memories today linked to these Royal events?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:04 pm

Watched in between sessions of washing the carpets as I had to let one section dry before doing the next. 

Saw the 1st move from Westminster Hall to the Abbey, absolutely stunning sound of the Pipes and drums with the swaying march of the naval gun crew, almost had tears in my eyes thinking what my dad would have been feeling as a proud Scot and Black Watch man. 

The move to the Wellington Arch was too long. They should have formed up in front of  Buckingham Palace and transferred the coffin under the watchful gaze of Queen Victoria. I managed to get the furniture moved and the second wash done before the transfer. 

I don’t really understand why they made the second service at St George’s Windsor televised. 

No disrespect to HMQ but it was a much better day than forecast and had put off the job for too long.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:41 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:My personal context, I remember the change from singing "God save the King" to "God save the Queen" in 1952.  In 1953 before the Coronation I remember being taught at school about the sceptre, orb, and crown. So there was a familiarity I had today with these items being featured. I still have a plastic 1953 Coronation combination locking money box and metal gold coloured Coronation carriage and horses.

What were your memories today linked to these Royal events?
No actual memories of the Coronation, but my claim to fame is that I was born on 2nd June. 
I was two years old on the day and my mother bought me this J J Cash embroidered pennant which I used as a bookmark in my early years at school.
I thought it was long lost but came across it in a drawer when I was sorting my mother's possessions after her death ten years ago.
A nice little keepsake.

Coincidentally the Queen passed away on my wife's birthday.
Al.
Elizabethan age over, but what next? 20220910
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: