The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toilet

+6
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
groundhog
Apple
Quilter
Mids
10 posters

Go down

Toilet  Empty Toilet

Post by Mids Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:32 pm

Hi been away. For a week and been home for a week and have a nasty  smell .never really noticed  it before.took the holding tank out and  smelt inside wasn't   that smelly. The smell  comes from the bowel.  Any  one know the best way or product  to use to make it smell fresh.thanks in advance  for any information
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toilet  Empty Re: Toilet

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:39 pm

Mids wrote:Hi been away. For a week and been home for a week and have a nasty  smell .never really noticed  it before.took the holding tank out and  smelt inside wasn't   that smelly. The smell  comes from the bowel.  Any  one know the best way or product  to use to make it smell fresh.thanks in advance  for any information
Bathroom or kitchen bowl ?

Our bathroom one used to smell disgusting sometimes and the only way to clear it was to dismantle the gubbins underneath the sink and give it a good scour. As a temporary measure an old toothbrush and/ or the forked pick used for getting dates out of boxes were handy at picking gunk out of the plughole. Amazing what came out. 

Sorry I can’t be more useful at telling you how to dismantle the drain but my part was to take it away and scrub the bits out. 

I have read someone advising using drain cleaner but given how the sink itself can crumble if mouthwash is used, I would not do that. Ditto beware of putting anything more than hot soapy water to clean it.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:43 pm

Apologies…ignore above. Just seen your title !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:50 pm

Mids wrote:Hi been away. For a week and been home for a week and have a nasty  smell .never really noticed  it before.took the holding tank out and  smelt inside wasn't   that smelly. The smell  comes from the bowel.  Any  one know the best way or product  to use to make it smell fresh.thanks in advance  for any information
I always rinse the bowl with a solution of green eco toilet fluid and find that works well
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:16 pm

I have absolutely no sense of smell but the better half has an acute sniffer!
There is a product called Thieves,( the household cleaner) it is an essential oil and it isn't cheap but you need very little of it. I have been instructed to put a few drops in the flush water and we have a small bottle of spray made up which is used on the bowl and I am reliably informed it smells really great and kills all the other smells.
As above I have no idea what a "smell" is but if it works for the other half it is going to work for anyone.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:26 pm

Unfortunate mis-spelling in opening post    fedup

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Cymro, rogerblack, Bobskate, Slow-Lane and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:30 pm

Paulmold wrote:Unfortunate mis-spelling in opening post    fedup
Yes, I think that could be the cause   :0_blush: lollarge
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

groundhog, rogerblack, Slow-Lane, IanH and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:40 pm

I'd make sure you don't have any leaks from your cassette. One of the things I learnt was that when sliding the cassette in make sure it is well pushed in.

We have had in our Duetto occasions when there were significant leaks below the toilet bowl and around the cassette that I had a messy job cleaning things up. I was never certain why this happened. See the first paragraph for my idea.

On a slightly related issue, I did fit a SOG unit which worked really well. There were no toilet smell in the bathroom after that. Our Kemerton so far has been far better behaved.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi groundhog. Thieves   looks a good product.  I take it is safe on the plastic  toilet.  And around rubber seals. As thetford always says  don't  use household  cleaner's?
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:43 pm

Mids wrote:Hi groundhog. Thieves   looks a good product.  I take it is safe on the plastic  toilet.  And around rubber seals. As thetford always says  don't  use household  cleaner's?
We have had no problems at all with it over several years, we dilute it in to a spray bottle to clean all the countertops, taps etc in the kitchen and as above in the van. It does look at first to be expensive but then you only need such a little of it, the instructions come with it. It is certainly non abrasive so shouldn't damage any rubber seals, in fact being an oil it should help them I would have thought.
Good luck.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:19 am

If you remove the main cassette from the framework you will notice that there are two compartments with lids on the floor of the unit.   I think the idea was that you could store toilet tablets there.   If you have a leak between the cassette seal and the bottom of the toilet bowl, it drains down and collects in one of both of these compartments.  When I got my present van (secondhand) it had a smell and I eventually traced it to these compartments
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by petermcd Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:49 am

Our new Broadway developed an unpleasant smell in the shower/toilet room. It was not the toilet but the pongy grey water tank ….. putting plugs in shower and basin outlets stopped the smell coming up. I washed out the pipes and tank with washing soda crystals dissolved in warm water …. problem sorted, for now.
petermcd
petermcd

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:58 pm

I use this...

Thetford Duo Tank Cleaner Concentrate 800ml

I was dubious at first. You use 200ml per 5l which is enough for cleaning your cassette. so, four cleans per bottle (in theory)

In practice, what  I do is to rinse the cassette out well and then add the cleaner followed by 5l of warm water. Give it a good shake and store it for 24hrs. Then another good shake and store it up-side-down for 24 hours. It will then be properly clean. I then put the cassette back with the fluid in until I am ready to use the van again at which point I dispense the cleaning fluid into a suitable container to store it. I recycle this 3 times, so four tank cleans per 200ml of concentrate.

It works very well and leaves the tank smelling ok. I get 12 clean cycles(min) out of one bottle this way which equates to £1.60 per clean cycle at £19 per 800ml bottle.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

frederic, ledzep4 and Mops like this post

Back to top Go down