The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towbar for a 2019 Winchcombe

+3
burlingtonboaby
Paulmold
Lodge67
7 posters

Go down

Towbar for a 2019 Winchcombe Empty Towbar for a 2019 Winchcombe

Post by Lodge67 Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:43 pm

Anyone had a towbar fitted to a Winchcombe? Ours is a 2019 (or will be be when we collect in a few weeks), and looking for suppliers, and whether the rear stabiliser legs were able to be retained. Think things will be a bit wobbly without having those to wind down....
Lodge67
Lodge67

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Towbar for a 2019 Winchcombe Empty Re: Towbar for a 2019 Winchcombe

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:08 pm

Check Watling Engineering website, there's a list of all Auto-sleeper models that they can supply and whether rear steadies are removed.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:39 pm

Hi
Welcome to the forum from Bridington.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Lodge67 Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:21 pm

Thanks Boaby! wave
Lodge67
Lodge67

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lodge67 Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:52 pm

Paulmold wrote:Check Watling Engineering website, there's a list of all Auto-sleeper models that they can supply and whether rear steadies are removed.
Thanks Paul. Dropped Watling Engineering a line, they tell me they are permanently stopping taking on fitting work in a few weeks' time, but can still supply parts. In case any other future Winchcombe owners interested, the photos they provided show towbar fitted with the rear corner steadies still in place.
Lodge67
Lodge67

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OOF Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 pm

Watling Engineers did our 2019 Winchcombe. The stabilisers stay in place and the waste water tank drain gets relocated just  right of the tow bar centre. Nice tidy job.
OOF
OOF

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by OOF Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:59 pm

Oops sorry, should have written “2017”. Same layout.
OOF
OOF

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Lodge67 Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:31 pm

Thanks Oof, useful info, shame Watling are stopping their fitting service.
Lodge67
Lodge67

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Razzy Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:12 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting a Winchombe.  We've got a 2019 Winchcombe (although based on one of the last of the 906 Sprinters with the big headlights) and we've been extremely pleased with it. We had a towbar fitted by TAF in Chesterfield who also converted our car to tow behind it with an A frame at the same time but I think they will also just fit towbars.  I did a lot of research before going ahead with this (there are lots of differing options and also very strong opinions about A frames/towing cars!) and the options and quotes varied greatly.  I must say I was extremely pleased with the quality of the work by TAF and I remain so.  The only downside was that they had a 6 month waiting list when I booked the work last year but I was actually reassured by this and I think they remain very popular. We'd removed the steadies anyway as we opted for levellers and so not sure if the steadies would be a problem.  Like Watlings work for OOF, the configuration of grey waste drain pipe needed to be altered but only to a minor extent and the drain tap remains in the same place.  Might be worth exploring motorhome towbar and A frame suppliers/fitters such as those advertising in MMM to see if they just fit towbars? I can only vouch for TAF though who I would recommend.  Do hope you enjoy the Winchcombe as much as we do!
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lodge67 Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:33 pm

Thanks Razzy, good that you are enjoying your Winchcombe - ours will also be the large headlight model. It's actually a towbar and a-frame I'm after, so will have a look at TAF. Also interesting that you have fitted levelling jacks as those are something else we are bearing in mind for the future. Have you found these worthwhile, as they are certainly not cheap?
Lodge67
Lodge67

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Razzy Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:25 pm

As mentioned, very pleased with TAF (I'm not connected with them in any way!) and after lots of research I wanted the simpler overrun type of A frame braking but I know there are fans of the electronic vacuum systems.  We tow a Yaris so needed the heavier duty A frame but although the fram is a bit heavier, we're very pleased with it and it's still lighter than than others.  I'm very pleased with the levellers too (HPC). Although I know many feel they are an unnecessary extravagance and yes they were expensive but as well as levelling and stabilising the MH on sites etc (we were grateful for them at a coastal site in Cornwall during a storm last year) I have found them very useful to lift up the MH to do any work underneath (fully extended with tall axle stands for safety I can almost sit up).  They're also useful to drain off rainwater from the roof (on our Winchcombe some rainwater or melted snow seems to pool on the roof) and having got a soaking in the past when pulling off from a pitch with the drivers door window open (!), I can now tilt the MH before driving off to remove the water!  There are more leveller suppliers/options now than when we got them so might be worth a trip to the NEC show etc?
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:47 pm

Lodge67 wrote:Anyone had a towbar fitted to a Winchcombe? Ours is a 2019 (or will be be when we collect in a few weeks), and looking for suppliers, and whether the rear stabiliser legs were able to be retained. Think things will be a bit wobbly without having those to wind down....
Took my, completely, unused corner steadies off (Executive)
Saved 20Kg
Gained £20 sold to a guy for a car trailer!!

Winwin!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Lodge67 Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:51 pm

Razzy wrote:As mentioned, very pleased with TAF (I'm not connected with them in any way!) and after lots of research I wanted the simpler overrun type of A frame braking but I know there are fans of the electronic vacuum systems.  We tow a Yaris so needed the heavier duty A frame but although the fram is a bit heavier, we're very pleased with it and it's still lighter than than others.  I'm very pleased with the levellers too (HPC). Although I know many feel they are an unnecessary extravagance and yes they were expensive but as well as levelling and stabilising the MH on sites etc (we were grateful for them at a coastal site in Cornwall during a storm last year) I have found them very useful to lift up the MH to do any work underneath (fully extended with tall axle stands for safety I can almost sit up).  They're also useful to drain off rainwater from the roof (on our Winchcombe some rainwater or melted snow seems to pool on the roof) and having got a soaking in the past when pulling off from a pitch with the drivers door window open (!), I can now tilt the MH before driving off to remove the water!  There are more leveller suppliers/options now than when we got them so might be worth a trip to the NEC show etc?
Hmm, thanks, some good points here I hadn't thought about. Trip to the NEC already in the plan, so will have a good look around!
Lodge67
Lodge67

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:37 pm

Lodge67 wrote:Thanks Razzy, good that you are enjoying your Winchcombe - ours will also be the large headlight model. It's actually a towbar and a-frame I'm after, so will have a look at TAF. Also interesting that you have fitted levelling jacks as those are something else we are bearing in mind for the future. Have you found these worthwhile, as they are certainly not cheap?

Tow-bars to tow-cars can do the whole package. Speak to Ben or Terry.

https://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.com/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down