The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot 2 litre a blue timing belt change

4 posters

Go down

Peugeot 2 litre a blue timing belt change Empty Peugeot 2 litre a blue timing belt change

Post by SomersetLes Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:51 pm

I'm going to see a 2018 Autosleepers that has the 2 litre adblue engine. Can anyone tell me what the service interval is for the timing belt to be changed? 

Thanks.
SomersetLes
SomersetLes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Peugeot 2 litre a blue timing belt change Empty Re: Peugeot 2 litre a blue timing belt change

Post by Caraman Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:13 pm

Normal conditions of use - every 96000 miles / 10 years,  Arduous conditions of use, every 87500 miles / 10 years.  I don't think arduous conditions apply to many motorhomes.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Peugeot 2 litre a blue timing belt change Empty Re: Peugeot 2 litre a blue timing belt change

Post by SomersetLes Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:54 pm

Caraman wrote:Normal conditions of use - every 96000 miles / 10 years,  Arduous conditions of use, every 87500 miles / 10 years.  I don't think arduous conditions apply to many motorhomes.
Wow - quite an interval.  No need for me to be concerned for now on a 2018 vehicle.

Thanks for the info
SomersetLes
SomersetLes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:15 pm

I work on 50% of those miles/years
In an unused motorhome the belt is always in the same place, some straight and tensioned, some bent over various pulleys. So they never get "exercised".
In addition the belt material must also degrade, even though they quote 10 yrs.
Apart from oil, this is one of the most important parts of any cam belt engine, if it fails, the engine fails. On older trucks like mine that could be a financial write off.
I also change the belts on any new vehicle I buy, this van, for example, allegedly had a new belt a year before I got it. No receipts so no proof. Also, whilst still on my hobby horse, the only ones to buy are GATES and you need the pulley kit as well as the belt. The water pump pulley has bearings which can and do fail the bearing fails so does the belt.
I also change the oil and filter each MOT, but that's another obsession!!!

As an aside I was surprised to see that the 2018 van used AdBlue??
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SomersetLes Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:55 pm

IanH wrote:I work on 50% of those miles/years
In an unused motorhome the belt is always in the same place, some straight and tensioned, some bent over various pulleys. So they never get "exercised".
Apart from oil, this is one of the most important parts of any cam belt engine, if it fails, the engine fails. On older trucks like mine that could be a financial write off.
I also change the belts on any new vehicle I buy, this van, for example, allegedly had a new belt a year before I got it. No receipts so no proof. Also, whilst still on my hobby horse, the only ones to buy are GATES and you need the pulley kit as well as the belt. The water pump pulley has bearings which can and do fail the bearing fails so does the belt.
I also change the oil and filter each MOT, but that's another obsession!!!

As an aside I was surprised to see that the 2018 van used AdBlue??
Apparently the AdBlue is used to get the Euro 6 emission standard. Both on this 2 litre engine and the newer 2.2 engine. I believe AdBlue is also used on Ford Transit & VW engines too.
SomersetLes
SomersetLes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:56 pm

IanH wrote:

So if for the reasons you have quoted ( low mileage, stood standing through winter etc ) at what age/mileage would you suggest the belt should be changed ?

Not all engines will fail if the cam belt does, it’s a matter of how close the pistons are at TDC in relation to maximum inlet and exhaust valve lift via the camshaft. A lot do but not all ( interference or non interference engines ) However the Peugeot TDI engines will certainly sustain damage.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:24 am

Hard one that!
As I've said unless there is documentary evidence to show a new was fitted at X, I'll change belt and pulleys on any new, to me, vehicle I buy.
Out of 5 motorhomes now, first was chain cam, second was warranted (incl cam belt btw) Warwick Duo as was 4th.
3rd was petrol Boxer, unknown history, it got a new one.
This one ditto.
If I was keeping one long term, 5 yrs max, mileage irrelevant as, like most motorhomes, 5000 per year is probably average.

However as always on here, each to his/her own!!

Are diesel engines non-interference?

Most import (with higher compression engines) and most car and light truck diesel engines are interference
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:17 pm

IanH wrote:

Are diesel engines non-interference?

Most import (with higher compression engines) and most car and light truck diesel engines are interference

Your extract from the internet would imply that some are …

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:39 pm

Mostly petrol, Google interference engines.very very few commercial diesel
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:56 pm

IanH wrote:Mostly petrol, Google interference engines.very very few commercial diesel

Agreed … I did

Donator
Donator

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down