The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Type of Bike Carrier do i need

+5
RalphHughes
NickT
RogerThat
Roopert
wilksy
9 posters

Go down

What Type of Bike Carrier do i need Empty What Type of Bike Carrier do i need

Post by wilksy Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:04 pm

I have a 2021 Corinium Duo which has the two rear horizontal bars fixed to the back of the motorhome, I need to install a bike carrier for an e-bike (or two) how and or what type do I need, I was going to contact Auto Sleeper but the contact number has now gone.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

What Type of Bike Carrier do i need Empty Re: What Type of Bike Carrier do i need

Post by Roopert Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:20 pm

If you want to get an answer through "official" channels then the way to go would be to ask the question of the dealer that sold you the van. They will then contact A/S and ask the question via their "dealer" contact point.

Don't expect a quick answer, but you should get one eventually. It may help if you imply that you intend to buy the bike rack from the dealer (even if you don't intend to!).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

What Type of Bike Carrier do i need Empty Re: What Type of Bike Carrier do i need

Post by wilksy Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:35 pm

I have sent an email to Marquis asking for the information suggested above, the bars that Auto Sleeper fit feature on a range of their models so hopefully it should be too difficult for a definitive answer -
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:53 pm

What do two ebikes weigh? Will those bars be strong enough? scratch head
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:04 pm

The weight of one bike is 45kg with the battery fitted or 35kg without, I will only be putting one e-bike on it.

Marquis have come back already with the correct Fiamma item which is the Carry Bike Pro E
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NickT Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Thats a very heavy ebike.  My wife's Cube city/hybrid type is about 23kg.  If it truly is 45kg you'll need to consider a ramp to get it onto the rack!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Orian Gemini
Vehicle Year : 2006

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RalphHughes Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:14 pm

We carry 2 e-bikes on the Carry Bike which is rated at 60kgs, our e-bikes are both below 25kg with batteries and the batteries travel in the van anyway as do panniers etc

RalphHughes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:13 pm

Not so worried about the rating of the bike rack, my concern  would be is the rear wall strong enough, and the fulcrum effect based  on distance from rear axle. Lot of mass to be bouncing up and down pulling on the wall fixing

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:45 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:Not so worried about the rating of the bike rack, my concern  would be is the rear wall strong enough

Sorry, yes, when asking about the weight that's exactly where I was heading too.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:25 am

If it's a 4000kg Duo it should have sufficient rear axle capacity but it's worth checking.  The handbook is clearly wrong as it gives the axle MTPLMs as 1850kg front and 2000kg rear which are the values for the 3500kg version.  The handbook states that the cycle rack fixing points are for a Fiamma Pro-C and that the maximum load is 60kg.  This includes the mass of the bike rack and the bikes and their batteries if fitted and any other attachments like a bike cover, rear marker board and lighting board.  To stay within the regulations, a lighting board should be fitted.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:50 am

Thanks for the advice, Marquis did indeed give me the wrong item so with a bit of help I have now got the correct one ordered - Fiamma Carry Bike Pro C E-Bike which is rated at 60Kg.

The bike in question is a Coopop Rugged, I will probably modify the channel that the wheels fit in to allow for the wider tyre on the Coopop, as for the weight of the bike re loading the rack is mounted fairly low on the Corinium and at 61 I can still lift 35Kg comfortably
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:01 am

You have probably studied this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I couldn't see the mass of the rack.  The mass of a decent cycle lock also needs to be included within the overall allowed mass of 60kg.  It shows the angles that the rear lights & number plate must be viewable from.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:11 am

Yes taken a good look at those instructions, will check once I've installed it etc as to a light board or not, if I need one I will fit that myself they're not to difficult these days.

I shall travel with the battery removed and the bike will be locked to the carrier with something that I will sort out when fitted.

I do have the 4000kg Duo and don't carry a huge amount of stuff with me.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:14 am

The lighting board isn't difficult.  It's just a little bit of extra weight hanging off those wall mounted fixing points and it all adds up.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:28 am

I have now had a look at fitting the rack to the existing bars but need a bit of advice please, as I'm sure you are all aware the Corinium comes with a lower and upper Fiamma fixing bar already in place however the rack is fitted to the bottom bar by just inserting in the corresponding holes, however how does the rack fit into the top rail?

The pictures and instruction show the rack being installed on hooks as opposed to a rail, could anybody tell me what they have done.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:34 am

The lighting board itself  may not be difficult but plugging it into the electrics could well be in a 2021 van.
I feel that the whole overall weight, even if within limits (whose) is way more than I'd even consider.
Not only does it have to be supported by the rear wall reinforcing (??) it is a long way aft of the rear axle centre line, again even if in limits its a big mass so far aft.
Not something I'd even consider but, as always on here, each to his/her own!
Good Luck

BTW can your rear camera see the bike once in place? Lot of money to have unseen.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:18 am

The carrier is rated at 60Kg max, it weighs about 9kg so with the bike on the back it will be 44kg so you would assume (or hope) that Autosleeper have installed the rails to cope with a maximum load of 60kg plus a contingency.

As for seeing the bike in the rear view camera, if I'm driving you can't see it anyway and if I'm parked up I will either take it off or lock it in such a way that it is difficult to remove quickly, don't forget in a Corinium Duo there is only the width of the bathroom between my head and the back of the motorhome.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:12 am

wilksy wrote:I have now had a look at fitting the rack to the existing bars but need a bit of advice please, as I'm sure you are all aware the Corinium comes with a lower and upper Fiamma fixing bar already in place however the rack is fitted to the bottom bar by just inserting in the corresponding holes, however how does the rack fit into the top rail?

The pictures and instruction show the rack being installed on hooks as opposed to a rail, could anybody tell me what they have done.
Can't help really as my dealer insisted on fitting it when I bought the van.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:24 am

IanH wrote:The lighting board itself  may not be difficult but plugging it into the electrics could well be in a 2021 van.
I feel that the whole overall weight, even if within limits (whose) is way more than I'd even consider.
Not only does it have to be supported by the rear wall reinforcing (??) it is a long way aft of the rear axle centre line, again even if in limits its a big mass so far aft.
Not something I'd even consider but, as always on here, each to his/her own!
Good Luck

BTW can your rear camera see the bike once in place? Lot of money to have unseen.
If the 2021 models still have the VLM5 unit which I think they do, connecting a lighting board is straightforward and inexpensive.  I agree carrying weight that far back isn't good but the bike rack fixing points on the back wall are reinforced.  I only take a bike if I'm sure its going to be used.  Invariably that means I only take my bike and sometimes I don't take that.  On my Nuevo I can just see its saddle through the mirror and kitchen window which is reassuring.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:50 am

Thanks for the reply Caraman, could you post a picture of how it was fitted, I've spoken with Marquis now and they have told me what they do but I could do with a picture if honest.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:06 pm

wilksy wrote:Thanks for the reply Caraman, could you post a picture of how it was fitted, I've spoken with Marquis now and they have told me what they do but I could do with a picture if honest.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you need a different angle, let me know
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Avontourist Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:24 pm

fiamma pro c rack fitted to my Malvern , when folded down it obscures the number plate. 
Eventually the dealer sent me the wiring kit for a lighting board .
Avontourist
Avontourist

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:12 pm

Thanks very much for the picture, as the saying goes it tells the story very well etc - this is how it does indeed fit, however as I am a tart i have decided to modify the supplied grey covers to fit over the bike carry tubes where it attached to the pre fitted rails, stacks more work but for me worth it.

I have also now got a motorbike trailer ramp which I will modify to suit the Coopop Rugged and do away with the two supplied bike rails as the Coopop has much wider tyres.

I will get this done this coming weekend so will post a picture of the finished result.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down