The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets

+2
IanH
Relaxez-Vous
6 posters

Go down

2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets Empty 2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:37 pm

Well over 95% of electrical extension sockets on Amazon and eBay have their power cable coming in from the right. I find this strange that it isn't more like 50%.. I've been wanting to mount a 4 gang extension socket above a single mains socket in the garage and feed power to it from the left, not have a large redundant loop getting in the way of equipment cables coming in from the right.

I did find one on Amazon but it's got one dire review with photo where I suspect a faulty fuse seems to have overheated and melted the plug. Anyway I cut off all but 50cm of cable and fitted my own 13amp plug.

Odd that so many extension sockets have a right hand cable.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets Empty Re: 2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets

Post by IanH Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:08 pm

You got me inspired enough to check out my workshop. 5 in there, all fed from right, never thought of it before.
Did find this though, could be an option??2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets Img_2162
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets Empty Re: 2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets

Post by rogerblack Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:28 pm

Mount it upside down?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:10 am

I've got one of these.......   vertical with bottom feed entry point
2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets 20220611
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Relaxez-Vous likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:44 am

Thanks BobK, I like your orange vertical extension lead. My guess is you bought it years ago and its manufacture is no longer in production, anyway here goes. Where did you buy it from and who's the manufacturer?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 am

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:40 pm

Thanks. In the short term we went to Homebase this morning and bought a two socket extension. It will do for now.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:10 am

On a similar point why do some wallwarts have the cable exit on the top?  In most instances the cable trails to the floor putting banding stress continuously at the same place. Bottom exit is so much safer.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:23 am

Wall wart.....had to consult Dr G**gle on that one.

Every day is a learning day hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

RML and bikeralw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:28 am

Relaxez ......    No idea about the manufacturer of my vertical sockets.    There is a sticker on the back  "DATURR LTD"  but it looks like possible a firm doing safety checks/certification.   I inherited it in a garage clearance along with another horizontal similar one  (RH entry point) .    Yes...it is very convenient mounted as it is. up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:10 pm

Some data centre rack cabinets PDUs are vertically orientated although not always with standard 13A sockets

This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Power-Distribution-Mount-Cabinet/dp/B00COM72IK/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2CZEA7KUD823F&keywords=vertical+rack+pdu&qid=1657835234&sprefix=vertical+rack+pdu%2Caps%2C37&sr=8-8

has the sockets tilted at 45 degrees to allow closer spacing.

I recently had to replace my 6 way 2 row extension block with an 8 way. The new router I was installing had the opposite way up plug top PSU which fouled on the plug in the other row

Incidentally if you have children in the house avoid this type of strip block

2 or 4 gang electrical extension sockets Slim_s10

Fully certificated etc. but with one major design flaw. The slim design means that the distance from the earth pin to the top of the strip is less than the gap to the L/N pins.

This means that if a plug is inserted upside down with just the earth pin inserted the safety shutters are withdrawn from the live/neutral holes allowing other objects to be inserted

It has always been possible using a tool such as a screwdriver to open the shutters if determined but all you need with these strip blocks is another plug!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down