The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

loss of 12v supply

4 posters

Go down

loss of 12v supply Empty loss of 12v supply

Post by CharlieM Wed May 04, 2022 4:04 pm

this is a technical enquiry relating to Nuevo ES SF53 FVB.
Job number 1356
I have lost my 12v power and can not see an obvios reson why.
I turned all the 12v switches off ,
removed the battery terminals ready to swap some internal lights and to add a solar panel. to get access to the leasure battery I unplugged te two relays under te driver's seat and detached  them from the driver's seat trim. No wiring was touched.
The new internal light was swapped and the leisure battery terminals  and the relays reinstated. At this point  12v equipment did not work and despite much wire wiggling has not worked since.
I connected the mains supply this made no difference.
At this point I tested voltages, I have 12v available after the fuse and the voltage is available in the relay socket. Beyond the relays I can find no 12v however I am picking up 0.24v at the 12v socket above the fridge and on the back of the main 12v switch..
just thinking as I type if one of my relays died could the 0.24 volts  be what "leaks" through the relay's resistor??
If you can assist that would be appreciated..

Many Thanks 

Kind Regards

Charles Murray
CharlieM
CharlieM

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

loss of 12v supply Empty Re: loss of 12v supply

Post by brodco Thu May 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Hi  wave
Have you got a wiring diagram for your particular vehicle, if not you’ll find generic versions here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Don’t worry about them being for the VW version, just look for one about the right date that seems to routhly match yours.

The only relay likely to interrupt the habitation supply is the EMC relay and the supply to the habitation area is via a set of “normally closed” contacts so it’s unlikely to be a faulty relay (unless the contacts have fallen apart internally).

Relay bases are a know source of trouble so it’s well worth a look at the contacts in case removing the relay has broken an already weak one. Fundamentally if you have volts on one side of the habitation relay contacts you should have volts on the other (engine off).
CharlieM wrote:I connected the mains supply this made no difference.
If you have an old style charger it should power the habitation 12V whether or not a leisure battery is present but if you have a smart charger it may not start without a battery connected. I think 2003 is about the time when it may or may not have a smart charger fitted.

Brod  drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan789 Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:15 pm

I have the same problem, and our reverse polarity light comes on thePSU if we try with hook up. So no 12v system either way. Was there a solution to this?
Alan789
Alan789

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:23 pm

Alan789 wrote:I have the same problem, and our reverse polarity light comes on thePSU if we try with hook up. So no 12v system either way. Was there a solution to this?
Firstly an introduction always gets better response, then start a new thread in 'coachbuilt' section with as much information as possible eg is this a new problem or is van new to you?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down