The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One for the bicyclists

5 posters

Go down

One for the bicyclists Empty One for the bicyclists

Post by groundhog Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:05 pm

The exit from our road is on to a country lane at the bottom of a hill used in the Tour of Britain. The road has a 30mph limit and slow signs, turning in  to it the visibility is very limited. Wind down window, listen, look carefully and go for it.
Thankfully I was not towing the trailer or driving the van this afternoon as two lycra clad cyclists came flying down the road, goodness knows how fast they were going but way in excess of 30mph. One of them then totally cut me up just to make a point, total numpty. The second then overtook on the wrong side to join his mate whilst I waited at a junction on to the A road.
Nothing against cyclists, always give them space and respect but they cannot be prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit, only for "cycling furiously".
if this is right its time the law was changed, what do you think. look here
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

One for the bicyclists Empty Re: One for the bicyclists

Post by Dbvwt Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:36 pm

As a keen cyclist who now only wears Lycra under my shorts to prevent the dreaded inner chaf, I totally agree with you.
It’s generally the hard core road cyclists (although not all of them) who think they own the road that tend to give a bad name to all of us. I frequently find myself also wound up by them when in the car.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:42 pm

Coming from the Leek moors into town is a long downhill straight before the road enters the 30mph built-up zone. Motorists slow from 50 to 30, but for some reason the limit doesn't seem to apply to the majority of cyclists. I've lost count of the number of times I've been overtaken by the Lycra clad brigade. It's as if the speed has given them a rush of adrenalin and they can't slow down... I was once given the finger as I was passed because I was sticking to the limit!!
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:47 pm

Speed limits don't apply to cyclists as a bike doesn't have a manufacturer fitted speedometer.

However, and I say this as a keen cyclist myself, that absolutely does not excuse the behaviour described by the OP. These guys need to realise that a crash at high speed is going to hurt them a great deal, whether they were in the right or not.
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:50 pm

There is no excuse for bad road manners whether on a bike or in a car but when I get on my road bike I must admit the adrenaline rush does kick in, especially when passing a speed camera!
I would never ever consider that speed though in traffic or in a built up area and always think of others. 
I’m not condoning their actions in the slightest, most of them are also car drivers and can surely see it from the other side shrugg
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon May 09, 2022 8:10 am

My great Grandfather raced Penny Farthing bikes in his early days. I can’t see him wearing Lycra . I think it would be  plus fours and flat hat turned backwards. 
An ironic thing I found out about his antics came to light when I was run off the road on my bike by a nutter in a mini. In Saddleworth there is a seep hill down into one of the villages. On one of the bends the mini hit me and I flew over a wall into a field. My Grandfather said my Great Grandfather hit the kirb on that same bend and flew over the wall on one of his races.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum