The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUTOGAS

+8
Kdc
Greenfellers
BornAgain
Wizard
rgermain
Paulmold
Dbvwt
hpatel
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AUTOGAS  Empty AUTOGAS

Post by hpatel Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:11 pm

Hi All - I just found out that Shell are going to stop Autogas near where we live - does anyone know if there is a way we can put  gas from a bottle into the van as an emergency
Thanks 
Harry doggy
hpatel
hpatel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

AUTOGAS  Empty Re: AUTOGAS

Post by Dbvwt Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:21 pm

Is that the one by McDonald’s in Leighton Harry? If so another one of my regular places has gone.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:25 pm

Gasit (who supply the underslung tank that you have) sell a pipe to connect a bottle to the gas inlet of the van. It won't put gas into your tank but you use the gas from the bottle instead.
Have you got  the Autogasapp , or mylpg app on your phone to find other filling stations?  Shell pulled out a while ago,plenty of other places to get autogas, although just checking the apps it looks like there is short supply in your area.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:29 pm

If it’s the one I’m thinking it is Paul, being an independent it was still selling gas long after other shell stations stopped.
It’s pretty grim round here, we’ve lost loads.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:51 pm

Looks like we are slowly getting stuffed with our underslung tanks, what with the increase in price of LPG and diesel driving to find an outlet.
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:56 pm

Paulmold wrote:Gasit (who supply the underslung tank that you have) sell a pipe to connect a bottle to the gas inlet of the van. It won't put gas into your tank but you use the gas from the bottle instead.
Have you got  the Autogasapp , or mylpg app on your phone to find other filling stations?  Shell pulled out a while ago,plenty of other places to get autogas, although just checking the apps it looks like there is short supply in your area.
I just had a look, did not find the pipe you mentioned. Thought it might be handy as I have 15kg bottles for the fire in the conservatory as a back up.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:57 pm

Personally I would happily pay £2 per litre , it would still be cheaper than Calor bottles , if it meant filling stations would continue to sell autogas.

Donator
Donator

Male

Kemerton-bath likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:04 pm

rgermain wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Gasit (who supply the underslung tank that you have) sell a pipe to connect a bottle to the gas inlet of the van. It won't put gas into your tank but you use the gas from the bottle instead.
I just had a look, did not find the pipe you mentioned. Thought it might be handy as I have 15kg bottles for the fire in the conservatory as a back up.
----------
Richard

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:25 pm

Paulmold wrote:
rgermain wrote:
----------
Richard

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thank you, found it ok.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizard Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:04 am

Paulmold wrote:Personally I would happily pay £2 per litre , it would still be cheaper than Calor bottles , if it meant filling stations would continue to sell autogas.
If it was £2 per litre it wouldn't be available at all as there would be no point running cars on it. 

It is ridiculous that society is pushing new electric cars with a high carbon footprint and no payment of fuel duty when existing petrol cars could be converted to run on clean propane. Yes autogas has emissions but it is very clean burning, extremely low particulates and has to be significantly better to convert a petrol to LPG rather than to build a new lithium battery car. Ironically as Bath introduced a clean air zone, both local LPG retailers closed. Now if you live in the clean air zone you have to drive 10 miles each way to fill up to buy the cleanest fuel. 

There is a good margin on autogas sales but people are no longer converting cars in the same numbers as before and this is why they are closing. Less than 2% of cars run on auto gas and I would be surprised if motorhome cookers make even 0.1% of auto gas sales. 

The solution is just to be more organised. Motorway services will be the last to stop selling LPG, just as they will be the last to stop selling petrol and diesel, so we have to ring ahead to check the station has stock before planning the return journey and fill up at the end of each trip so we are ready for the next one.
Wizard
Wizard

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:37 am

If you check the daily logs on filllpg you'll see that price is increasing rapidly, every day a dozen or so outlets are being reported a increasing price by 10p per litre, most are now over 90p, even Morrisons are gone to 89.9 at many stations. I've seen several well over £1, the highest I've noticed at £1.29.
As fr supplies, still volatile,  a dozen or so each day going to 'unavailable ' and similar number now showing a price where previously they were unavailable.  As domestic demand for heating decreases for summer, hopefully supplies to garages will improve.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:56 am

Looks like supply issues are easing around here in the Hants/Dorset area up!.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:53 am

I noticed that Newbridge campsite in Bath by the park and ride has a sign outside saying Calor sold here
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizard Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:04 pm

Caslon wrote:I noticed that Newbridge campsite in Bath by the park and ride has a sign outside saying Calor sold here
They sell Calor cylinders but not autogas. I bought LPG at John Stayte Services near Stroud yesterday at 84,5ppl. Bristol Gas supplies is another option or Flogas have a self service pump in Chippenham although you need a keycard account. Next nearest is Texaco in Frome.

BTW you need to take a mortgage out to camp at Newbridge Marina in Bath now. £40-50 per night - it can be cheaper to stay in a local Air BnB!!
Wizard
Wizard

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:19 pm

Wizard wrote:
Caslon wrote:I noticed that Newbridge campsite in Bath by the park and ride has a sign outside saying Calor sold here
They sell Calor cylinders but not autogas. I bought LPG at John Stayte Services near Stroud yesterday at 84,5ppl. Bristol Gas supplies is another option or Flogas have a self service pump in Chippenham although you need a keycard account. Next nearest is Texaco in Frome.

BTW you need to take a mortgage out to camp at Newbridge Marina in Bath now. £40-50 per night - it can be cheaper to stay in a local Air BnB!!
And the clean air zone.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:27 pm

When we collected our new Bourton last month the dealer was unable to fill the LPG tank as it would have meant putting a lot of miles on the clock to the nearest stockist. They use a Calor cylinder to do the PDI and showed me the connection point which is near the LPG shut-off valve. I filled the tank on the way home (at a Shell garage).

What happened next? - of course, the Dometic fridge went into gas lockout! Fortunately a phone call to the workshop sorted the reset method.
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:57 pm

rgermain wrote:Looks like supply issues are easing around here in the Hants/Dorset area up!.
-----------
Richard

Hi Richard,

Where do you fill up?

I'm in Gosport, nearest to me was Titchfield (Shell) now gone.

Green Road in Portsmouth was OOA last time I checked after an accident.

That leaves Ower Services or somewhere on Selsey to the best of my knowledge.

Is there anywhere else?

Regards,

Andy
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:04 pm

Andy…..Hightown service station in bursledon is nearest to you. Just along from dolphin Motorhomes.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:47 pm

Don't know the Shell garage. Green Road Southsea had their pump run into and now say they will no longer supply LPG.
Best to look on Mylpg.eu for pumps, but I would always advise ringing to see if they have any, as I am not sure the info is always correct.

Caravan and boat services in Birdham charge £10 min.
-------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:13 am

Kdc wrote:Andy…..Hightown service station in bursledon is nearest to you. Just along from dolphin Motorhomes.
Excellent, 

Thank You.
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:15 am

rgermain wrote:Don't know the Shell garage. Green Road Southsea had their pump run into and now say they will no longer supply LPG.
Best to look on Mylpg.eu for pumps, but I would always advise ringing to see if they have any, as I am not sure the info is always correct.

Caravan and boat services in Birdham charge £10 min.
-------
Richard

Thanks Richard, 
I ended up at Morrisons, Littlehampton last time I need a top up.

Andy
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:41 pm

Looks like another LPG station has gone, A34/M4 at Chieveley. Where next to bite the dust?
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:05 pm

I heard of a couple of campsites that have now got autogas pumps so as one goes another takes its place. 
If you're in the vicinity of Stratford-on-Avon,  Greenhill Park at Bearley now has it.
The other is The Lakes Arlesey Bedfordshire .

There's another new one - Asda, High Wycombe 
Another at Limavardy in Belfast.

So all is not lost.

As a point of interest,  there's  one at Honeybourne near Evesham that also has a weighbridge. 

Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:34 pm

Paulmold wrote:I heard of a couple of campsites that have now got autogas pumps so as one goes another takes its place. 
If you're in the vicinity of Stratford-on-Avon,  Greenhill Park at Bearley now has it.
The other is The Lakes Arlesey Bedfordshire .

The one at Arlesey, Henlow Bridge Lakes, were happy for non-campers to fill up with LPG, (both tanks & Gasflow cylinders) earlier this year....but best to ring first as some days of the week & times are not always possible due to busy changeover periods and events being held.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : EX-SYMBOL

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:37 pm

Henlow Bridge have had it for some time, didn't realise that was the one at Arlesey,  it reported elsewhere that it was a new outlet.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next