The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First year vehicle service or not?

+4
glyne lock
gef
v8oholic
StuartB
8 posters

Go down

First year vehicle service or not? Empty First year vehicle service or not?

Post by StuartB Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:00 pm

On my 2021 Peugeot Nuevo I have booked in for the first Hab warranty check. At the same time I checked about whether I need to do anything on the base vehicle to meet warranty requirements, apparently nothing required until year 2. As a novice motorhomer(and anything mechanical!). I remember reading comments saying because of the relatively low milage we do, we should arrange oil/filter changes after the first year.

Do people think I should arrange this? I will have done about 8/9k miles in the first year.
If yes, does this need to be at a expensive dealer(quoted £200) or would my local friendly garage be ok?

Thanks for any advice.
Stuart
StuartB
StuartB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

First year vehicle service or not? Empty Re: First year vehicle service or not?

Post by v8oholic Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm

It won’t actually be two years from the registration date. It will be two years from when it left the Peugeot factory. But I wouldn’t worry. You’ll get a message in the instrument panel when the oil needs changing. Of course if you’re planning on a very long trip, it’s bound to come up in the middle of it.

I also wonder why you spend a small fortune on a new vehicle and then quibble over the small additional cost of a service at a main dealer, when it’s only once every two years. Maybe that’s just me. I’m having mine done tomorrow at 10 months and 1900 miles, after I got the message come up. It’s being done at the main Peugeot dealer (£209). Also, the brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 2 years, and they are doing that as well (£65).
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:39 pm

I have always waited for the second year (3rd new van) except this year because of warnings on the screen  I had a service done which I hope will last two years.  Yes you can use a local garage but they must use genuine parts and oil and be vat registered.   The price you have been quoted looks very good
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

StuartB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartB Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:58 pm

v8oholic wrote:It won’t actually be two years from the registration date. It will be two years from when it left the Peugeot factory. But I wouldn’t worry. You’ll get a message in the instrument panel when the oil needs changing. Of course if you’re planning on a very long trip, it’s bound to come up in the middle of it.

I also wonder why you spend a small fortune on a new vehicle and then quibble over the small additional cost of a service at a main dealer, when it’s only once every two years. Maybe that’s just me. I’m having mine done tomorrow at 10 months and 1900 miles, after I got the message come up. It’s being done at the main Peugeot dealer (£209). Also, the brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 2 years, and they are doing that as well (£65).

Thanks for the feedback, good to know the price I have been quoted is to be expected. I understand your point about my 'quibble', but I always think that one of the reasons why I was able to spend a fortune was that I have tried to be be careful and check what I spend my money on. I don't yet understand about motorhome ownership, but truly appreciate your advice in learning more.
StuartB
StuartB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:14 pm

v8oholic wrote:It won’t actually be two years from the registration date. It will be two years from when it left the Peugeot factory. But I wouldn’t worry. You’ll get a message in the instrument panel when the oil needs changing. Of course if you’re planning on a very long trip, it’s bound to come up in the middle of it.

on the hand over day you should have been told about the service required and what has been said here is NOT all correct .it will be best if you ask the dealer and they should give you the correct service plan .this has been talked about on many other post and incorrect information like what has been said above  will not help others
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

inspiredron and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:26 pm

glyne lock wrote:

on the hand over day you should have been told about the service required and what has been said here is NOT all correct .it will be best if you ask the dealer and they should give you the correct service plan .this has been talked about on many other post and incorrect information like what has been said above  will not help others

In what way is it not correct? 

First year vehicle service or not? Img_3910
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:55 pm

the dealer that you got the camper from should explain about the service warning light and what to do if it comes on before the 2 years after the date of registration . can you please ask the dealer you got the camper from as they should have done this and not just take your money this is very poor sales
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:23 pm

glyne lock wrote:the dealer that you got the camper from should explain about the service warning light and what to do if it comes on before the 2 years after the date of registration . can you please ask the dealer you got the camper from as they should have done this and not just take your money this is very poor sales

I queried it with the Peugeot main dealer. They told me that the service timer begins when a van is completed at the factory. In the case of a regular van, normally it would be delivered straight to a dealer, and sold on within a couple of months. In the case of a camper van conversion, the whole process can be much slower. My van left the Peugeot factory in February 2020. It was not converted by Auto-Sleepers until October 2020, and not registered and sold until April 2021. So it was already 14 months old, in effect, regardless of what the actual registration date is. Peugeot do not allow service indicators to be reset without actual service taking place. Consequently, the change engine oil indication came up a couple of weeks ago. What would Marquis say if I phoned up and asked them about it? They would just say change the engine oil. Furthermore, the brake fluid is also two years old, and requires changing, because it is hygroscopic, and absorbs water with time whether it's used or not. Besides, I don't really want to talk to Marquis ever again.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:58 am

Is this change engine oil indication different to the one often discussed on here?
If it is the same then I think it should have been reset at the dealers before handover. They must have forgot to do mine as it came up within a few weeks but I reset it with a simple process as have many others on here. The dealer had actually included the instructions in the handover documents.
Apologies if we are talking about something else!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:10 am

Back to the original question, I had the first service done at 2 years and now have the oil/filter changed every year irrespective of mileage. I get the workshop to do any additional service work based on what I feel needs doing and also taking their advice.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

rgermain and StuartB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartB Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:13 am

For my original question, it was more about what was good practice in terms of changing the oil and oil filters in year 1, when officially, according to my dealer(Derby Motorhomes) I don't need to do this for warranty reasons until year 2. Derby Motorhomes can also carry out the official Peugeot servicing.

I haven't had any lights coming on for oil change. But I am aware that the oil will have been in the engine for longer than usual because of the conversion time and covid delays, an extra 6 months for me.

I am just trying to understand whether this matters much.

Thanks
StuartB
StuartB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:57 am

Stuart, everyone will have their own thoughts on this, some will say yes definitely get it done and just as many will say leave it till year 2.
As I said in my post above, I’m in the leave it till year 2 camp!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartB Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:06 am

Thanks Dbvwt, appreciate your advice.
StuartB
StuartB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:17 am

Dbvwt wrote:Back to the original question, I had the first service done at 2 years and now have the oil/filter changed every year irrespective of mileage. I get the workshop to do any additional service work based on what I feel needs doing and also taking their advice.

Me too, save that I had the first service after one year because - being very old school - I think it's wise to change the engine oil for the first time earlier than specified, lest there be any swarf or nasties. Since then, just as Dbvwt describes, guided by the service requirements (but not, for example, changing the pollen filter every other year, nor the air filter). Brake fluid every 3 or 4.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2015

Dbvwt, IanH and StuartB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:21 am

Dbvwt wrote:Is this change engine oil indication different to the one often discussed on here?   no its the same engine oil change warning
If it is the same then I think it should have been reset at the dealers before handover. They must have forgot to do mine as it came up within a few weeks but I reset it with a simple process as have many others on here. The dealer had actually included the instructions in the handover documents.
Apologies if we are talking about something else!
as has been posted before some times the oil would be change for free or set the oil change as required.so Peugeot do reset the warning system as per the letter given to owners at hand over from new and has been posted to explain this before on other post
the 2 year service is at 2 years old from purchase .
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:32 am

StuartB wrote:For my original question, it was more about what was good practice in terms of changing the oil and oil filters in year 1, when officially, according to my dealer(Derby Motorhomes) I don't need to do this for warranty reasons until year 2. Derby Motorhomes can also carry out the official Peugeot servicing.

I haven't had any lights coming on for oil change. But I am aware that the oil will have been in the engine for longer than usual because of the conversion time and covid delays, an extra 6 months for me.

I am just trying to understand whether this matters much.

Thanks

the oil is log life fully synthetic so is ok to be change at 2 years old from purchase.
if the oil is going to be change each year you don't need to use fully synthetic .
in trucks the oil last 150000 miles before a change
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Tinwheeler and StuartB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:00 pm

I have different views on oil.
IMHO the most important oil change in an engine's life will be the first one.
Two ultra important things under the bonnet, oil and cambelts!
Both the MH and our car get an oil and filter change every MOT, irrespective of mileage done since last.
Cost is trivial compared to the alternatives.
As always on here.....each to his/her own!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Cymro and StuartB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:23 pm

I must admit, I have decided to change the oil/filter every year after reading some great advice on here since I bought my van. I was too busy enjoying the van to think about getting it serviced before 2 years.
After all, 2 years is what Peugeot and the dealer were saying so I wasn’t worried.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:33 pm

For £50 I change my oil/filter ever year. Dirty oil burners, always have done.
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

MelB and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down