The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing a wired Reversing Camera in Nuevo

2 posters

Go down

Installing a wired Reversing Camera in Nuevo Empty Installing a wired Reversing Camera in Nuevo

Post by Guest Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:43 am

As I like a little job to do I decided to install a reversing camera in our 2004 new to us Nuevo. I wanted the install to be easily removable and not involve pulling the van about too much.

I bought this kit from ebay which I like as it plugs into the 12v outlet, has several screen mounting options and is a single wire from camera to the screen. Here is what I got in the kit

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Listed below are the items as it is not clear from the pic

1) 7 Inch Screen
2) Camera with hood, mount and Infrared
3) Screen mount for flush installation
4) Window Sucker Mount
5) Flat surface mount with sticker and screw holes
6) Coil of wire - single from camera to monitor
7) 12V Plug and power wire with red push button switch but no USB Passthrough
8) Separate Power wire if you want to hard wire
9) Bag of 4 small screws
10) Remote control
11) Monitor instructions but no other instructions
12) The screen has an input for a second camera but this kit only came with 1 camera

Not sure what the green wire is in the pic I think this is for the reversing line grid thing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Installing a wired Reversing Camera in Nuevo Empty Re: Installing a wired Reversing Camera in Nuevo

Post by Guest Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:49 am

I am going to mount my camera on my bumper with cable ties (easily removable) and run the single cable under the van and inside the passenger door but under the plastic step infill. I will then run the wire under the loose one piece car mat and up to the screen that will be sucker mounted to the windscreen. 

I will use the 12 v plug that has a red push on and off button but sadly no USB passthrough. The Nuevo has 2 nr 12v plugs up front so should not be an issue.

This will involve some dangling wires at the dash which I know many people hate. That does not bother me however and I prefer to have this sort of thing totally un intrusive to the existing van and easily removable.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Installing a wired Reversing Camera in Nuevo Empty Re: Installing a wired Reversing Camera in Nuevo

Post by Guest Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:51 am

I received instructions for the monitor but no others. The kit is however fairly obvious what you have to do except for the green wire which I think is something to do with turning on the reversing lines but not sure at this point.

Mine will not be linked to the reversing lights as I might like to have it on at other times other than reversing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:09 pm

Just plugged it all into the Nuevo and quite pleased. This was just as a test. It is raining at the moment so will wait for better weather to do the outside work..... Hopefully tomorrow
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:58 pm

I installed a similar set up on my Nuevo several years ago, and like you, didn't want to mess the van about too much. I ran the wire much as you intend to, and mounted the camera at number plate height. However, this proved to be the problem, although it worked fine to see what's directly behind, the camera is far too low to be of any use as a reversing aid.
After two years or so the cheap camera fogged up and I ripped the whole setup out.
Since then I've been meaning to fit a better high-mounted camera, which obviously would be a more involved job. But to be honest the Nuevo is such a short vehicle, plus the fact that the van layout is such that visibility through the rear window from the driver's seat is quite good, I've never had a problem reversing, so it's a job that's well down my list.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:10 pm

bikeralw wrote:I installed a similar set up on my Nuevo several years ago, and like you, didn't want to mess the van about too much. I ran the wire much as you intend to, and mounted the camera at number plate height. However, this proved to be the problem, although it worked fine to see what's directly behind, the camera is far too low to be of any use as a reversing aid.
After two years or so the cheap camera fogged up and I ripped the whole setup out.
Since then I've been meaning to fit a better high-mounted camera, which obviously would be a more involved job. But to be honest the Nuevo is such a short vehicle, plus the fact that the van layout is such that visibility through the rear window from the driver's seat is quite good, I've never had a problem reversing, so it's a job that's well down my list.
Al.

Thanks for the reply. I have read a few places where people feel it is too low on the bumper. A previous one I fitted to a Discovery 2 was actually fitted into the bumper and worked very well. It might have had a different lens who knows. Either way I will fit this with Cable ties so I can easily try and move it about a bit if it is no good.

To be honest I am just interested to see what is behind me and when I tow know that the trailer is still there  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

I will give it a go anyway.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:02 pm

Most motorhomes my own included seem to have it mounted high but my car has it low just above the number plate so both positions should work.  I suspect the lower position is more prone to being obscured by dirt whipped up from the road especially in the turbulence that follows a motorhome.  I find the Peugeot's wing mirrors are very good and more important than the reversing camera.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:37 am

Caraman wrote:Most motorhomes my own included seem to have it mounted high but my car has it low just above the number plate so both positions should work.  I suspect the lower position is more prone to being obscured by dirt whipped up from the road especially in the turbulence that follows a motorhome.  I find the Peugeot's wing mirrors are very good and more important than the reversing camera.

I agree about the wing mirrors they are excellent
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:01 pm

Well it is all installed. Took about an hour and a half including pumping up the rear tyres.

I used a bit of Double sided sticky tape to stick it to my rear bumper extension which held it in position and will also stop any tendancy for it to rotate. I then attached it with 5 cable ties.... Remember I want this to be easily removable and not be intrusive to the van at all. It is incredibly solid fixed like this

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:04 pm

I then ran the wire which had plenty of length under the van and cable tied it to various things under the van. I also added a few cable ties to various other wires where quite frankly Auto Sleepers could have done a better job of securing them.

When I get anything big delivered I keep the cardboard as this comes in very useful to lay on when doing jobs like this

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:07 pm

I then ran the wire up into the back of the door and under the door step insert in the passenger side. I used some gorilla tape here. I am not proud of this part of the job but as I said before I want this to be totally non intrusive and easily removable. which is far more important to me than looking pretty . I then put the wire under the additional floor mat that we have over the installed mats.

The door opens and closes perfectly and it totally unimpeded.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:10 pm

There is a very useful gap at the bottom of the utility tray that you can put any surplus wire into coiled up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:12 pm

The plug in power to the 12v supply powers both the camera and the screen so no need to mess with the reversing lights and there is a red switch on top of this that you just press at any time to switch it all on. Again very good as totally un intrusive and allows you to have a look to the rear at any time during your journey. Good if you tow a trailer

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:14 pm

I know that looks a bit of a mess but I have a little 12v plug extender jobby coming today to tidy it all up. Again I am happy with this sort of install for removability etc
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:16 pm

The screen is on the sucker that is very strong (on the right the left is my Garmin). It was not possible to get a good pic on the screen at the moment as the sun was low and directly on the camera. The image is however fine for my purposes

Last edited by Bigplumbs on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:17 pm

All in all for what I want this will be fine I think and for £58 worth a punt. If it fails I can easily remove it all and as they say no harm done.

For this sort of thing I am not into drilling the van and stripping stuff out etc. I just don't think it is worth the hassle and damage that most likely might be caused
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:34 pm

Almost the same as when I fitted mine. The only difference was I fed the wire up through the hole for the battery vent pipe in the base of the battery compartment under the drivers seat. If I remember right I think I enlarged the hole and fitted a grommet.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:37 pm

bikeralw wrote:Almost the same as when I fitted mine. The only difference was I fed the wire up through the hole for the battery vent pipe in the base of the battery compartment under the drivers seat. If I remember right I think I enlarged the hole and fitted a grommet.
Al.

Interesting.... I am ashamed to say that I have yet to find where my Leisure battery is located. If it is under the drivers seat I am yet to find a way to access it  hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Yours may be in the same place as mine, as I say, under the driver's seat. If it is, access is by removing the seat. It's held by four setscrews and is very heavy.
 However if you're only checking the battery, it's possible to remove only three screws, loosen the remaining front one and pivot the seat.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:30 pm

bikeralw wrote:Yours may be in the same place as mine, as I say, under the driver's seat. If it is, access is by removing the seat. It's held by four setscrews and is very heavy.
 However if you're only checking the battery, it's possible to remove only three screws, loosen the remaining front one and pivot the seat.
Al

Thanks for that info. I will have a look... Doesn't sound like the best design in the world but hey ho
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:58 pm

Had a better chance to look at the image on the screen now that the sun is behind cloud. Yes it could be better I surpose but for my purposes it is perfectly fine. The Boxes are out for our Asda Delivery  content

Anonymous

Back to top Go down