The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap

+2
Caraman
Peterm
6 posters

Go down

2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap Empty 2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap

Post by Peterm Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Seasons Greetings everyone, 
I have just returned from a Christmas trip with a pinhole leak in the flexible hose running from pipes behind the cooker to the monocoque kitchen sink taps. Another flaming nuisance every time I think I will have a few hours off to sort out my Christmas presents.
I have disassembled everything easily enough but I cannot work out what size the connections are. It looks like a 10mm pipe going to the tap and a 20mm nut to screw over the pushfit on the pipes from the pump.

There are masses of similar flexible tubes on the internet. Does anybody know the exact size of the pipe please, as I am hoping get away again next weekend and I assume Autosleepers
will be shut.
I cannot find anything in the archive that answers the question.

Thanks
Peter
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap Empty Re: 2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap

Post by Caraman Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:36 pm

If you have removed the leaking pipe take it to a caravan/motorhome shop and they will sell you a replacement of the exact size for very little money.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap Empty Re: 2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap

Post by stretty43 Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:52 pm

A picture would help, it is hard to say what you want from your description.
stretty43
stretty43

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:01 pm

On my 2006 Nuevo ES (when I had it) pipework came from behind cooker onto flexible pipes about 12" long that went to the tap. I had a pinhole in one of those flexible pipes and getting a replacement was difficult, B&q and Homebase had similar but not right size threads. I found them at a backstreet plumbers merchant (took a one along to match) at a quarter of the price of the ones that B&Q had.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks for the replies.
It is not as simple as just going to a dealer over the Christmas holidays, and all the plumbers are shut. I needed a replacement urgently for a New Years TCC rally so I found connections yesterday in Lidl of all places with a free tap thrown in. Frankly I am getting to old to mess about so I didn’t begrudge the extra tenner over eBay prices. Plus I can take them back if they leak.

Peter

And the rally? We cancelled because of the Covid situation.
Life is a female canine.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Reminds me when I was hiring out cars. A customer had taken an automatic Peugeot 504 Estate to Scotland and it ground to a halt. AA came and said it needed a new gearbox. Took it to the Peugeot dealer who quoted many thousands of drinking vouchers for a new gearbox. Customer was at the end of the hire period so didn't want any refund, it wasn't particularly annoying for them. I joined the RAC recovery and went up there and recovered the car. I jacked it up and found a pin hole in the oil pipe from the auto box to the oil cooler at the front of the car. I cut the pipe with a stanley knife, found a bit of copper pipe the right size and pushed it in the cut pipe ends. Secured it with two jubillee clips and all was well. £3000 saved due to two totally incompetent professional mechanics. The AA guy could have done it by the road side.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by sunidorset Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your problem. I've had to replace almost every pushfit on my "60" reg Broadway so it could possibly be different from yours.
 Mine were 12mm John Guest flexible tubing and pushfit connectors. If yours is the same,  drain down then pull off the pushfit connector onto the flexible tap tail and take it (as Caraman says) to a local motorhome/ caravan parts shop. You will need some new tubing and an extra straight pushfit connector to replace the split/holed tubing. From experience, it's a very tight corner to get into with a brand new Stanley knife - even if you are small and nimble! Some local suppliers are cheaper than "online" shops.
Hope you get going soon. Our leak occurred in France during the Beast of the East! It wasn't funny!
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by sunidorset Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:42 pm

Sorry, it's me again! Can I suggest that you don't reuse the same connectors. Some people will disagree with me but it just ain't worth the risk of another leak!
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks for your advice Sunidorset. I was actually feeling quite self congratulatory on the job I had done. I did consider doing the push fits. However the job I did yesterday has left me with very sore hip and pain in the arthriticy fingers this morning, as I new knew it would.
The water pipes run behind the cooker and extend at least half an inch into the cramped space under the sink. My experience of incompetent jobs is that try as I might as soon as I try to push on the push fit, or even pull it off,  the pipe will disappear behind the oven. One thing I do not want to do is remove the oven, I’m not sure it is even legal. To get someone like Spinney Motors to do it would cost £hundreds at their exorbitant hourly rates.
So for a van that I may not even own in 12 months a chuck and chance it job is going to have to be good enough.
However I really do appreciate your advice to do the job properly. I will let you know if you can have the last laugh.

PeterM
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:29 pm

Peterm wrote:Thanks for your advice Sunidorset. I was actually feeling quite self congratulatory on the job I had done. I did consider doing the push fits. However the job I did yesterday has left me with very sore hip and pain in the arthriticy fingers this morning, as I new knew it would.
The water pipes run behind the cooker and extend at least half an inch into the cramped space under the sink. My experience of incompetent jobs is that try as I might as soon as I try to push on the push fit, or even pull it off,  the pipe will disappear behind the oven. One thing I do not want to do is remove the oven, I’m not sure it is even legal. To get someone like Spinney Motors to do it would cost £hundreds at their exorbitant hourly rates.
So for a van that I may not even own in 12 months a chuck and chance it job is going to have to be good enough.
However I really do appreciate your advice to do the job properly. I will let you know if you can have the last laugh.

PeterM
I am sure self-amalgamating repair tape has been around for ages but I have only recently discovered it.  I wonder if this would have repaired the hole?

https://www.toolstation.com/self-amalgamating-repair-tape/p23876
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 pm

Caraman wrote:
I am sure self-amalgamating repair tape has been around for ages but I have only recently discovered it.  I wonder if this would have repaired the hole?

https://www.toolstation.com/self-amalgamating-repair-tape/p23876
When I left school in 1968 I went to the Cable and Wireless training college in Porthcurno to learn about telecomms. We were introduced to self amalgamating tape which was used to repair under-sea telephone cables. So it has been around for a long time and it is waterproof! We were told it was expensive, but now it isn't. You must stretch it hard as you wind it very tight around the joint or hole, and it is this inbuilt desire it has to return to its un-stretched condition that makes it seal to itself. It isn't adhesive.
However getting to the pipe might be awkward, specially with arthritic hands.
When I found 'wrongly assembled item number xx" in my Nuevo which was that someone in A/S has discovered a way to make drain water run uphill from the kitchen sink on its journey towards the waste tank, I found all the drain pipe joints didn't even have any sealant on them, they just pullled apart which together with the uphill run made it drip. I removed the cooker (4 screws and a pipe nut I seem to remember), and then it was easy to re-pipe the drain properly. If removing the cooker would make replacement of your water pipe easier then go ahead and do it. The gas bit is straightforward provided you know how to use two spanners. It's not rocket science. If you are concerned whether you have done it properly or not, just do it and then get a habitation check which includes checking the gas piping. If you have left a leak then it will show up in the gas tightness test. It is legal to do gas work on your own caravan or motorhome, but not for you to work on someone else's.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Peterm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:06 pm

Used SAT myself many times on water pipes. It is not reliable over even a short time. It amalgamated to itself but not to the plastic or metal. So the water often creeps underneath it. Especially if the part vibrates.

It doesn’t apply in my case as the leak is underneath the braiding wire of the flexible tube. Wrapping the tape around the push joint is difficult as there is no room and frankly if the things are prone to failure the less twisted and flexed the better.
Thanks, though. It may be a trick of last resort, which is always a good motto with Autosleepers.
Hi
Thanks to GassiG. Never realised it was easy to take the cooker out. But I am still going to avoid it if possible. There must be more to life than fixing vans which tend towards cascade failures. Fix the connection, knacker the push fit, remove the cooker, find some rot?

Happy New Year to one and all. 
Big Hugs ASOFers
Peterm

Last edited by Peterm on Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:22 pm

Under the braiding of the flexible tube was exactly what I had, I tied string to the feed pipe in case it fell behind the cooker , I didn't undo any push fit connectors as mine were threaded.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Paul, mine are threaded too, but the thread is connected by a push fit.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:34 pm

Peterm wrote:Paul, mine are threaded too, but the thread is connected by a push fit.
Maybe mine were too but it's over 5 years ago since doing it, it wasn't difficult after removing sink, hardest was finding those flexible pipes , as I said got from plumbers merchant, cost £2.10 each!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sunidorset Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:22 pm

Dear Paulmold,
 I hoped you didn't mind me putting my halfpenny's worth into the melting pot. I hardly ever interject as you and other Forum Supporters are so much more experienced and informed than myself. Sometimes, one does empathise with a fellow owner whose back is against the wall. 
I cannot criticise Autosleepers for failing on our 11 year old van which we still love.
I really appreciate all the helpful info I have reaped  from this forum.
Would that I could go to France for my usual 3 weeks there in successive Februaries!
Anyway, Wishing a Happier New Year to one and all.
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:13 pm

It's true that the older ones were better made than the new ones. Word in the trade (as if I would be an expert!  2006 Nuevo new water hose for kitchen tap 1f605 ) is that the recession of 2007 had a knock on effect in the manufacture of motorhomes, in that they all had to be made cheaper. It took a couple of years for this to take effect and I think I might be right in saying that the quality dropped in all makes from about year 2009. I have a 2009 motorhome which is far better made than the same make is now. Its superior build quality shows whenever I look underneath or inside or take bits apart.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down