The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspect vehicle battery failure

5 posters

Go down

Suspect vehicle battery failure  Empty Suspect vehicle battery failure

Post by Skizzydo Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 am

After reading Boggie’s problems my Bourton  has come out in sympathy  ( Mercedes 2019 automatic - known to many as the Haunted Snail) has what suspect a partial battery failure. I have power, lights , door unlocking etc, but no starter.I have used a  booster  battery ( two separate units)  to try to encourage it but to no avail.
Replacing the battery is no problem, but by disconnecting the vehicle battery does the rest of the electric system have a hissy fit ,ie radio and its associated systems ?
Skizzydo
Skizzydo

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Suspect vehicle battery failure  Empty Re: Suspect vehicle battery failure

Post by Caraman Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:23 am

Have you checked the VB voltage and ensured the bolts that clamp onto the battery terminal posts are tight?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Skizzydo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:23 am

On my MB 2011 version, there is no problem with battery disconnection, radio is coded through the ECU not by a separate code. Windows just need a full down/up to reset them. Your model is much more electronic so may differ.

Is the key recognised when put in the slot, my gives out a noise as the immobiliser and wheel lock release, does it turn over, but not start. I had that, loose -ve connection on battery was the source.

I had something similar recently when the noise didn't happen, meant a new ignition module, not cheap, hopefully not yours.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:55 am

If you're concerned then it would be prudent to connect a 12V battery or other source of 12V dc to the cable connectors before you disconnect the vehicle battery.  It doesn't need to be high capacity, just enough to keep up the electronics temporarily while you swap over the starter battery.  Make sure to check the polarity of your temporary 12V before connecting it.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Skizzydo Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:23 pm

Sorry pardon, more ‘finger trouble ‘  by me.  ( as we called it in the aircraft industry). I now found out the hard way that I need to have my foot on the brake pedal before trying starting the engine. 
Something in 99% of the time I did automatically by putting my foot on the without thinking about it.
That’s the problem when you are used to the older type of vehicle that doesn’t have all these safety features of modern vehicle.
Leaning over and pressing  the Start / Stop  button doesn’t work with the interlocks on the brake pedal not being made. Another vertical learning curve for today.
Many thanks to those who replied offering suggestions very much appreciated.
Skizzydo
Skizzydo

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:37 pm

Same on out Topaz auto
On trying to start there is a pic. of a brake pedal with a foot on it that illuminates on the dash!
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down