The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrical

5 posters

Go down

Electrical Empty Electrical

Post by Clive Bishop Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 am

Hi can anybody help please I hav a 2016 Autosleeper Burford and have developed an electrical problem,fuse no 12 by the drivers seat has blown an this means the12v to the fridge is not working also the rear view camera and the gas indication gauge on the dash also the side door step is not retracting when you start the engine.Sargent are no use as they say they don’t have Autosleepers wiring Diagram.Autosleeper say that individual Burstner are wired differently so they can’t tell me the problem.I have tried changing the fuse but as soon as I start the engine it blows.HELP.Clive.
Clive Bishop
Clive Bishop

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford
Vehicle Year : 2016

OOF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Electrical Empty Re: Electrical

Post by Steedt Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:09 am

No idea. But I’d suspect the step first as it’s got moving parts that can go wrong/jam. 

Does the fuse blow before you start the engine? Maybe rules out gas indicator and fridge circuit that runs when engine on as they only perform when engine on.  

Does the step go in and out without the ignition on? 

Turn fridge off completely to isolate that as a fault.
Steedt
Steedt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Bishop Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:00 pm

I have just checked the connections as you said the step goes in and out manually and with the fob..turned the fridge off.it only blowed the fuse when I start the engine.
Clive Bishop
Clive Bishop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:14 pm

I’m guessing the fuse you refer to is in the EM40 (or on your van maybe an EM50) panel, which is the interface between vehicle and habitation 12V systems.

The panel has several multiway cable connectors that plug onto the printed circuit board (PCB) and these are prone to problems caused by poor fitting or strained cable looms that can dislodge the connector. The result can be a higher electrical resistance in the connector, which leads to localised overheating and damage to the connector and possibly the PCB. Depending on the nature of the damage, it’s possible that a short circuit could occur which would blow the fuse.

The connector that seems to be the main culprit is the one that feeds the fridge with 12V from the vehicle alternator when underway. Of all the EM40/50 circuits, it carries the highest current and therefore incurs the greatest overheating if not making a sound connection.

The links below are to threads on here that maybe relevant to your problem. In one case a forum member had a faulty relay on a EM50 which he had repaired by Apuljack of East Brent.

I recommend you make a careful visual inspection of the PCB (which will require its removal) and the cable connectors, looking for signs of scorching and deformation caused by heat.  

Tim 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Bishop Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:33 am

Thank you for your for your reply I gave already checked what you have suggested re the connection blocks on the EM45 board and back of fridge all ok I think.the fuse I was taking about was the 10amp fuse no 12 on the side of the drivers seat this is a Mercedes figment and apparently Sargent interface there EM45 with this but apparently don’t keep any drawings as to how Autosleeper Burford is connected with there system and Autosleeper won’t give us a copy of the wiring diagram even though I have given the build no as they requested.
Clive Bishop
Clive Bishop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:19 am

Hi
     Have you tried disconnecting the electric step and starting the engine and disconnecting the 12v supply to the Fridge and starting the Fridge to try and find what circuit is causing the problem
  regards
   Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Bishop Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:17 am

Hi Alan the step is working from the fob but has stopped working to retract when starting the engine but that is because of the fuse problem,I have disconnected the feed to the fridge and that didn’t make any difference.it could still be the Gas gauge or the Rearview camera.
Clive Bishop
Clive Bishop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:49 am

The MB 10A fuse 12 is the D+ feed from the alternator to the EM45. The fuse in the EM45 for the D+ is 20A so the MB fuse will always blow first.

The D+ supply operates a relay that tells the Sargent system the engine is running and therefore retracts the step and powers the feeds to the reversing camera and 12v to Fridge.

I suggest you remove the 20A D+ fuse from the EM45 and confirm that the 10A MB fuse doesn't blow. If that is the case them then discuss with Sargent but I expect the EM45 is faulty as the D+ is not a power supply just a signal voltage.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Clive Bishop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Bishop Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 pm

Thank you Peter I understand what you are telling me but it is a bit to much at 82 to do all the testing myself now so I have booked it into an Auto Electrician to have a look at it.Thanks again Clive.
Clive Bishop
Clive Bishop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Bishop Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:15 pm

To all the people who gave me advice THANK YOU,the auto electrician I took it to found the problem,it was the insulation on a wire were the wires go from the engine battery compartment through the ducting to the dash.it has rubbed on the metal battery cover.
Clive Bishop
Clive Bishop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm

Thank you for the feedback.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator