The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E10 petrol

2 posters

Go down

E10 petrol Empty E10 petrol

Post by gassygassy Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:11 pm

I pulled into my local Texaco station to put petrol in my motorbike. I thought I would treat it to Soooperdoooper petrol so I stuffed the -gets-you-to-the-moon-and-back petrol in. But only for a short period of time. I noticed that the soooperdooooper stuff was 20p/litre more than the paraffin version. That was a shock, I thought the posh stuff was uaually 2 or 3p more. I then noticed that the sooooperdooooper was E5 and I looked at the paraffin version and noticed it said it is E10. Gulperoonie I thought. they have downgraded ordinary petrol while increasing the price of it, and if you want the same grade of petrol as you bought last week you have to pay 20p / litre more than the increased price. I got just enough to take me to a BP station I know that charges a reasonable price, i.e 3p / litre more than Asda.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

E10 petrol Empty Re: E10 petrol

Post by bikeralw Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:54 pm

A bit worrying, I think E5 will be priced out of existence in a few months.
As a rule they say all petrol vehicles made after 2011 should be ok with E10, but this doesn't bode well for me, although my car is ok, the newest of my five bikes is 2009, the oldest 1980..
Kits can be bought to remove the ethanol, but of course you end up with 10% less fuel for your buck...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

E10 petrol Empty Re: E10 petrol

Post by gassygassy Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:17 pm

I suppose if I want to avoid the 'Compulsory' scrapping of otherwise perfectly good cars and motorhomes which the Govt wants to foist upon us ordinary people, we should buy an old car - pre 1980 I believe- and just try to see if it runs on E10. I suspect they will just keep hiking up the road tax of petrol / diesel cars until one year's tax exceeds the value of the car. We'll have to replace the bits that dissolve or bung up with tolerant parts and know that it is a lot cheaper than getting a new car and watching the depreciation make the value plummet faster than a ten ton rock going off the edge of a cliff.
So the question of the moment is - which pre-1980 car / motorbike is comfortable for us old folk, which we can repair with a hammer and a screwdriver and a set of A/F spanners? Even if we have to pay £10k for it, that will be cheaper than buying a new car. Forget electric cars. Suppose they have zero road tax - which isn't written in stone forever - they still need a new battery costing £5000 every two years, if my Nissan Note is anything to go by.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down