The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV Power Point Location

+3
Corinium couple
Dbvwt
wilksy
7 posters

Go down

TV Power Point Location  Empty TV Power Point Location

Post by wilksy Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:45 am

So when I picked up my motorhome and set up the TV I was a little annoyed at the way the power cable and aerial cable(s) hung when connected up, why these aren't up alongside the microwave on/off switch is a little puzzling, so yesterday I set about changing this.

First thing was to locate the existing cables which required the microwave to be removed (easy - just 3 small screws) and the table storage cupboard top to be removed (not easy but doable).  I had already ordered a new 12V socket and surround from AS in the week so my plan was to run the cables into the microwave slot.

This I managed to do with a bit of gentle persuasion and once I had the power cables in the right place I then cut out the hole and fitted up the socket, tested it via my Multimeter and then set about the next stage which was to connect to a Freesat box as this will give me more flexibility than a Freeview signal which can be woeful in some places.

I had planned on mounting the Freesat box in the nearside wardrobe for convenience, the Freesat box requires a 12V supply, a F type lead and a HDMI to the TV, so along side the repositioned 12V socket I added a HMDI pass through, and another one on the opposite side so I can pass the cable through the microwave area and into the wardrobe.

I have taken a spur off the 12V socket and wired a new 12V socket in the wardrobe and converted the power supply to the Freesat box to run directly from the new 12V supply, the aerial cable has also been passed through the microwave area and into the wardrobe.

That's as far as I got yesterday so will finish the install this coming weekend.  Pictures attached as far as the work has gone so far.

TV Power Point Location  As_tv_12
TV Power Point Location  As_wir12
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Suppersready and Roopert like this post

Back to top Go down

TV Power Point Location  Empty Re: TV Power Point Location

Post by Dbvwt Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Nice job. 
Like you I hate hanging cables so running hidden cables to behind the TV in my Symbol was one of the first jobs after buying the van.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Corinium couple Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:02 am

Hi we too have the same problem with the tv sockets in or motorhome, they are right by the door and the cables stick out just waiting to be pulled out when walking through 
We have asked our dealer to put additional sockets up high by the microwave isolation switch but they seem alittle reluctant to do this ,il be interested to see and read how you get on
Corinium couple
Corinium couple

Male

Auto-Sleeper : corinium
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:43 am

This is another case of manufacturers not having any "use" experience when designing new vans and relying too much on AutoCad
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:21 am

roli wrote:This is another case of manufacturers not having any "use" experience when designing new vans and relying too much on AutoCad

I want to put in some USB and USBC sockets once I figure out where I'd like them. Small things that cost practically nothing and consume almost no power, but make life easier.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:26 am

v8oholic wrote:
roli wrote:This is another case of manufacturers not having any "use" experience when designing new vans and relying too much on AutoCad

I want to put in some USB and USBC sockets once I figure out where I'd like them. Small things that cost practically nothing and consume almost no power, but make life easier.

v8, I spent hours and hours thinking where to put a USB in my Symbol. It’s worked really well with no cables getting in the way!
The 12v was easily tapped into within the overhead unit.

TV Power Point Location  2bc69b10
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:33 pm

Wilksy that’s a neat bit of cable management, AS could learn from your good practice!

Slightly off topic but your reference to “just 3 small screws” securing the microwave prompted an alarm bell in my mind. The forum is littered with reports of poorly fixed microwaves in various van types so you’d be wise to check that out when you come to reinstate it.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:10 pm

In our Kemerton XL the natural viewing angle whilst sitting on the bench seat is to have the TV placed on the surface that's above the fridge, opposite, on the sliding door side. Not unlike as in the Symbol, the earlier Kemerton had a similar arrangement. A-S made no provision for a TV socket or 12V socket by the sliding door in our van, Initially I had to run cables above our heads from one side to the other. I should add that another couple who had a Kemerton XL mostly sat on the rotated front seats, the TV being placed near the sink where there are the sockets..

Following in the footsteps of glynelock I was able with his advice to route a coax and 12v supply above the roof lining. It was a tough job for this DIY'er.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t32664p25-2nd-tv-socket-for-a-kemerton-xl?highlight=TV+socket

Since I took this photo I have made up a plywood extension strip to lower the television position. At the top at the back it can slot down onto the grey plate. At the bottom of the plywood strip at the front there's another grey plate that the TV slots onto. I sprayed it grey and looks rather neat enough. Without this plate we were craning our heads to look up at the TV, it was a bit like sitting in the front seats of the stalls in the cinema.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:20 am

Corinium couple wrote:Hi we too have the same problem with the tv sockets in or motorhome, they are right by the door and the cables stick out just waiting to be pulled out when walking through 
We have asked our dealer to put additional sockets up high by the microwave isolation switch but they seem alittle reluctant to do this ,il be interested to see and read how you get on
Quick update with regard to moving the TV cabling etc, I spent Sunday finishing off the wiring for the Freesat boxes (I'm running two of them, one for the living area and one for the sleeping area), I had a problem with one of the 12V plugs so spent some time sorting that out, but I can confirm everything works with no visible cables whilst sitting down watch TV.

I don't know why Auto Sleeper don't put the cabling requirements where I have put them in the first place, neither do I understand why any dealer would be reluctant to move them Corinium Couple, its not too difficult but it is a bit time consuming.

Once I have finished it all off this coming weekend I will post some pictures, I have lost a little bit of storage in the nearside wardrobe but nothing worth worrying about.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:51 pm

TV Power Point Location  As_wir17
TV Power Point Location  As_wir16
TV Power Point Location  As_wir18
Okay so this weekend saw the end of my quest to remove all visible traces of cables when watch the TV and the final wiring up of the the two Freesat boxes to supply each TV with a quality picture.

I was surprised how long this has actually taken me but now it has been completed I am more than happy.

A few things created issues, firstly the output voltage was not 12V but nearer (and sometimes slightly over) 14V this meant I had to incorporate two voltage stabilisers to ensure each sat box only received 12V, and secondly

By putting both the Freesat units in a cupboard I found that using the lounge TV was a pain to change channels as you had to get up, open the cupboard, select the channel etc etc, so I bought an IR extender which works very well and sits just proud of the flat area next to the microwave.

So all in all I'm very happy with the way everything has gone, except I now have to mend the Sargent screen which has fallen out of the panel due to being only held in with tape.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down