The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obtaining LPG

+16
gassygassy
roli
Peter Parkes
Richard G
Eltel
Paulmold
Dbvwt
fred1
Norris
Bobskate
Rotorheadray
pompeymike
rgermain
Paramedic
Tinwheeler
Peter styles
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Obtaining LPG  - Page 2 Empty Re: Obtaining LPG

Post by Peter Parkes Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:06 pm

Also available a couple of miles off Jnc 13 on M5 - Stonehouse, Gloucestershire

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

if that helps.
Peter Parkes
Peter Parkes

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:25 pm

Paramedic wrote:
Peter styles wrote:I thought it was a great design to have an internal LPG tank but as yet have been unable to find a source of supply to fill it. It seems Shell garages are no longing selling it, and I have found that the LPG apps and web sites seem to have out dated information. So far I have had to survive with no gas. Has any else had this difficulty but better still can anyone help please? I have a New Nuevo and am feeling somewhat despondent. I live in Surrey but have also searched in West Sussex.
Perhaps like us, you'll travel any distance for LPG as in the past it was Southampton. So if practical for you, Caravan Boat Club, Bell Lane, Birdham, Near Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7HY. We found this only recently and only 5 miles from home. Minimum spend £10. Drive in and stop at the Calor Gas tank and someone will appear to serve you.
I Googled  the Caravan Boat Club and could not find that specific name though a couple similar. Do you have a link please.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:43 am

Bobskate wrote:
Paramedic wrote:
Peter styles wrote:I thought it was a great design to have an internal LPG tank but as yet have been unable to find a source of supply to fill it. It seems Shell garages are no longing selling it, and I have found that the LPG apps and web sites seem to have out dated information. So far I have had to survive with no gas. Has any else had this difficulty but better still can anyone help please? I have a New Nuevo and am feeling somewhat despondent. I live in Surrey but have also searched in West Sussex.
Perhaps like us, you'll travel any distance for LPG as in the past it was Southampton. So if practical for you, Caravan Boat Club, Bell Lane, Birdham, Near Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7HY. We found this only recently and only 5 miles from home. Minimum spend £10. Drive in and stop at the Calor Gas tank and someone will appear to serve you.
I Googled  the Caravan Boat Club and could not find that specific name though a couple similar. Do you have a link please.
Try Caravan and Boat Club Bell lane Birdham, it worked for me, but they don't appear to have a web site.

Best of luck.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi Bobskate, my apologies, the correct name is Caravan Gas and Boat Services.  Tel. 01243 514499. PO20 7HN Google search will find it. Regards

Last edited by Paramedic on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correction to post code)

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:05 pm

Thanks Paramedic. Found it.

Bob
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:40 am

Lymm Services on the M6 is good for us.
The Flogas system was a topic of live discussion yesterday but when I checked outlets for Autogas there was nothing in the N.West that anyone of who buy at the pumps disnt know about and at Lymm you certainly dont need a ket for the pump
roli
roli

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 am

I noticed on my Nuevo that the tank was still half full when the readout gauge said red, empty. I also thought of the 'no LPG available' scenario and carried one of those £20 suitcase gas hobs, on which you can cook a 3 course meal if you run out of tank gas. Troube is, there is nowhere you can fit a regular gas bottle as a backup. You would have to get a cabinet maker to construct a locker, open to the outside air but sealed to the inside, if you wanted to fit a regular RipOff gas bottle.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:15 pm

On the Boat yard, I have been told that quite a few Boat yards keep LPG on tap.

Not checked it out yet.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:13 pm

rgermain wrote:On the Boat yard, I have been told that quite a few Boat yards keep LPG on tap.

Not checked it out yet.
----------
Richard

That could be something that would possibly be a win/win situation for all involved Richard.
Assuming access to the tank/site is not a problem, the extra income generated could be beneficial to the yard with the obvious costs of having the facility.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:00 pm

gassygassy wrote:I noticed on my Nuevo that the tank was still half full when the readout gauge said red, empty. I also thought of the 'no LPG available' scenario and carried one of those £20 suitcase gas hobs, on which you can cook a 3 course meal if you run out of tank gas. Troube is, there is nowhere you can fit a regular gas bottle as a backup. You would have to get a cabinet maker to construct a locker, open to the outside air but sealed to the inside, if you wanted to fit a regular RipOff gas bottle.
Gaslow market an external hose for this specific purpose, linking an external bottle to the normal LPG filler inlet. often used by long termers who dont want to move the van to top up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 pm

bolero boy wrote:
gassygassy wrote:I noticed on my Nuevo that the tank was still half full when the readout gauge said red, empty. I also thought of the 'no LPG available' scenario and carried one of those £20 suitcase gas hobs, on which you can cook a 3 course meal if you run out of tank gas. Troube is, there is nowhere you can fit a regular gas bottle as a backup. You would have to get a cabinet maker to construct a locker, open to the outside air but sealed to the inside, if you wanted to fit a regular RipOff gas bottle.
Gaslow market an external hose for this specific purpose, linking an external bottle to the normal LPG filler inlet. often used by long termers who dont want to move the van to top up.
That's some thing to remember when and if the time comes when LPG pumps are all gone, hopefully not in the next 10 years then my days of M/Homing will be over and bring on the Hotels, if I make it smile!
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

jwells and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Thu May 06, 2021 1:59 am

Eltel wrote:Just a thought how easy would it be to convert both the heating and cooking to diesel ?

And at what cost ?
Proberbly  not that difficult  as wallas duo  marine deisel cookers  and heaters  combinations  are avaliable for boats and now motorhome £1700
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 am

a straight swap to a Truma Combi 6DE (6kw diesel and electric) would cost around £2,500 to buy from (say) Jacksons or Leisureshop Direct. its the routing/fitting of the diesel supply (and closing off the gas one) that requires a fitter...
i guess a good working Combi 6E (gas/electric) would have some residual value.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu May 06, 2021 9:49 am

Do these diesel heaters/water heaters/cookers take their supply from the vehicles fuel tank or have a separate tank?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 06, 2021 10:04 am

Paul, i think its the vehicle fuel tank...makes sense not to have a seperate fuel system...
still, some brands install a seperate water tank/system for just the toilet despite there being a ready made tank/plumbing already in place..😉
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 am

Until diesel disappears! Hydrogen cooker anyone?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu May 06, 2021 10:54 am

Our T5 Topaz had a diesel heater, it stunk! outside. Supply was from the main tank, had a warning/cutout if the fuel got low.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am

groundhog wrote:Until diesel disappears! Hydrogen cooker anyone?
Nah. Solar cooker.
For ages there has been the ability in sunny climes to cook bread, cakes, fried eggs and black pudd'n using a cardboard box with 2 sides cut off, line the rest with aluminium foil and point it to the sun.

No use in this country, obviously.

When I was nine we lived in Africa and I managed to set a field on fire with a car headlamp. If you point the headlamp at the sun and stick a piece of newspaper where the bulb filament lives it will instantly catch fire. So take a spare headlamp with you when camping.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

groundhog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am

rgermain wrote:Our T5 Topaz had a diesel heater, it stunk! outside. Supply was from the main tank, had a warning/cutout if the fuel got low.
-----------
Richard
AAH. And diesel heaters don't have EGR valves, DPFs and computerised ignition systems. That's probably why they work and are obviously illegal in any modern town where any vehicle older than 6 months is banned.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 am

Try parking next to BT/Open reach vans on a cold and frosty morning, while the engineers check their work load, other firms are available.
----------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Fri May 07, 2021 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text missing)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri May 07, 2021 10:02 am

Richard - that reminds me when I worked for the GPO. When it was the General Post Office and you knew that the company name indicated what business they were in. Unlike the current fad for paying a marketing company several million to come up with a meaningless name just to confuse all and sundry. I know that Openreach has more to do with telecomms than baking bread, but I really don't know just what they do do. Other than seek out innocent motorhomers they can park next to and smoke out.
Anyway. In the GPO we had those green Morris Minor vans (which had plates in the inlet manifold to stop them going properly - if you were a bit savvy you would just remove it). One thing you can do if you are a huge business is not to have to insure every vehicle individually. The GPO had the ability not to insure all their vehicles but to I think lodge a wedge of money in a bank specifically for insurance claims and they would pay out as and when necessary. I wonder if by some means their Open Reach vans don't have to pass MOTs or meet Euro emission standards? Sounds a bit unlikely and highly undesirable, but if you have parked next to them belching out black fumes, do you think that's possible?
I'll look into an OpenReach exhaust pipe next time I see one.

Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am

I thought you would be buying that stuff they sell in bottles along the side of the road in Africa for fuel Gassy! snigger
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 am

groundhog wrote:I thought you would be buying that stuff they sell in bottles along the side of the road in Africa for fuel Gassy! snigger

I was given a bottle of Zivania in Cyprus from a friend whose family owned vineyards. This was the original stuff made before it was legalised and sold with the alcohol content recorded on the label. He warned me not to drink more than one small glass, and most important, not to leave the bottle in direct sunshine Whistle1

Still have some, maybe it will come un handy if we run out of LPG snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun May 09, 2021 11:14 am

Paulmold wrote:Do these dieseql heaters/water heaters/cookers take their supply from the vehicles fuel tank or have a separate tank?
Both  if you use a separate  tank you could run on red
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggins Mon May 10, 2021 8:53 pm

Getting our tank topped up is a round trip of 120 miles (where we have access to two locations). The onboard  tank seemed a great idea until you actually have to find an LPG tank.
 We are in The Highlands and haven’t ventured south yet but couldn’t find anything along the A96 towards Aberdeen.
Diggins
Diggins

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum