The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insecure Microwave

4 posters

Go down

Insecure Microwave Empty Insecure Microwave

Post by Trev864 Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:58 am

The microwave in our Bourton is loose.

I am aware that it’s held in place by four small screws which go into the body of the microwave from underneath.

The two rear  screws are loose in the body of the microwave allowing it to tip forwards. I have tried slightly thicker screws to no avail.

Before I put in  some really sizeable screws in has anyone else had this me come up with an alternative solution?
Trev864
Trev864

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Insecure Microwave Empty Re: Insecure Microwave

Post by IanH Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:20 am

Remove microwave, remove glass turntable and wheels bit first.
Turn it upside down
Obtain rivnuts, google them, you'll need a setting tool as well. Drill existing holes carefully, don't let the drill go too far in, just open the hole.
Fit rivnuts
Replace microwave, screw down with proper machine screws correct dia for rivnuts, correct length too
Far better solution than the existing self tappers ( assuming that's what it had, my Warwick did)
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Trev864 Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:31 am

I’ll have a look thanks
Trev864
Trev864

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:48 am

The way they fit the microwave is very unsatisfactory. I had to replace a Daewoo with a Russell Hobbs. I drilled through the existing shelf holes and took pot luck with which part of the base I hit. In the Broadway the space under the microwave is very tight for an electric drill and it was a fiddly job. I can’t see how you can drill the holes in the base of the microwave first because there is no way of locating them once the microwave is put into position. It all seems a bit random to me.
Ideally I would fix a couple of metal brackets , front to back of the microwave, using a strong metal adhesive then drill up from below into the bracket which would be a better target than some random points on the underside.
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2022

Gyp C likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:38 am

Right from from new our microwave seemed to rattle when on the road. I've jambed a short length of largish diameter silicone tubing between the top of the microwave and the surround, it prevents any movement working the screws loose. So far it's still working and I haven't needed the rivnut repair.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down