The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Truma Ultraheat

3 posters

Go down

Truma Ultraheat Empty Truma Ultraheat

Post by Dave 418 Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:11 pm

Normally I leave the Rienza on hook up whilst on the drive but as its in for MOT on Monday I have disconected the hook up lead.
Today I had to do a little job in there and decided to put the heater on. As I normally do I turned the heat knob and pushed it down to ignite the gas. There was no clicking sound from the heater so I tried changing the battery in the igniter unit. This didnt work. Before I pay a silly amount, £70-£80, for a new igniter unit I just thought it would be worth checking if any one has had the same problems without buying a new unit.  think_smiley_46
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Truma Ultraheat Empty Re: Truma Ultraheat

Post by Dave 418 Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:16 pm

I further to my last if it helps. The fan for the heater still works on all speeds.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Have you checked that there's no corrosion on the battery holder terminals?
Also check for any loose wires or connections. 
Not sure whether this video will help or not - it shows you how to remove and replace the igniter box but not how to test it:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PS Just found this elsewhere -  Note I have not tried this, if you wish to then do so at your own risk:

"The best way to test an ignitor box is OFF the van ,use a 6 inch length of insulated wire ,wedge one end between the two fine pins of the connector and hold the other end close to the single terminal . Bam, BAM, BAM, if its ok. careful not to get a shock!!!."

Last edited by rogerblack on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo + PS added)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks Rodger, I did see the the video on You tube. As you said it helps to point out were the unit is and how to change the battery. I don’t like the idea of shorting things to test it’s a bit crude.
I am going to have another look tomorrow if it’s a bit warmer. By Monday night it will be back on hook up maybe it would be better left until then. 
If nothing else I cleaned out the fluff from inside the heater front.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 pm

I've had a problems with damp in the burn chamber, failed insulation on the thermocouple lead and three ignition boxes over the last nine years. The last time it didn't work I borrowed an refurbished ignition box from local mobile caravan engineers but it made no difference so returned it and book an appointment, tried it the next day and it worked fine and has ever since.

Everything Roger mentions is valid. Its easy to unclip the cover from the burner and see inside.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:10 pm

I have been out to Rienza this afternoon and the heater now lights. confused3 The only think I can think of that might make a difference is that the leisure batteries were a bit low yesterday,. It has not been on hook up since I moved it off the drive on Wednesday and we have had grey overcast days until today. A mornings sun has pushed the voltage up to just over 13volts. Its not often its stood for this long. 
I had though of changing the leisure batteries and the solar controller this year so maybe this problem has proved it may be a good idea.
This enforced lack of use of our motorhomes has really showed problems for lots of owners. They are meant to be used not stood.
Hopefully this has solved the problem and thanks for the ideas.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down