The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pet passports and AHC for within UK travel

3 posters

Go down

pet passports and AHC for within UK travel Empty pet passports and AHC for within UK travel

Post by raymondo Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:00 pm

I have today found out that as from Jan 1 thanks to Northern Ireland being cast adrift in a Brexit no mans land that should I want to travel to England Scotland or Wales in my motorhome. I will need to get a pet passport for my dog along with a rabies vaccination and (possibly) an Animal Health Certificate

It seems that I can take it to the Republic of Ireland  a different country with different laws but not to other parts of my own country.

This might be of interest to those in Eng, Sco or Wales considering visiting Northern Ireland with their dog, cat or ferret (!)  if you havent got a pet passport dont bother!

Whilst Im on a rant several UK based delivery companies are also declining to deliver to addresses in NI unless the item was also sent from NI and some items from UK will no longer be available for delivery by any one
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

pet passports and AHC for within UK travel Empty Re: pet passports and AHC for within UK travel

Post by Roopert Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:02 pm

I must admit it seems bizarre for there to be a border (for pets) inside the country. If you take your dog across this "border" regularly it will cost £180/year in AHC's alone, if the proposed cost of £60 per cert is correct - and that's without taking account of the cost of the rabies and tapeworm injections, where necessary.

As others have commented, the situation for pets is almost certainly just the start, with a whole load of extra paperwork (and associated admin costs) on the way...

Last edited by Roopert on Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : missing word)
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

pet passports and AHC for within UK travel Empty Re: pet passports and AHC for within UK travel

Post by rgermain Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:43 pm

That's why I am still proud to say "Don't blame me I voted REMAIN"
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Slow-Lane likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

If you take your dog across this "border" regularly it will cost £180/year in AHC's alone, if the proposed cost of £60 per cert is correct - and that's without taking account of the cost of the rabies and tapeworm injections, where necessary

exactly - we (in normal times) would take the dog across at least three times per year but worse still is that it will stop all the last minute trips and we will have to hunt around for a vet before we can come home.

Any way the main point of this (other than venting) was to let any one in mainland UK planning a trip to Ireland (north or south) with a dog cat or ferret that they will need paperwork before they get on the boat as Im sure that not many will realise it.

Oh by the way I or any one else can travel mainland UK to Ireland (north or south) without a passport - its just your dog that needs one
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down