The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorhome brokers

+2
Roopert
wwinky
6 posters

Go down

Motorhome brokers Empty Motorhome brokers

Post by wwinky Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi 
   Unfortunately due to my health circumstances my son is going to have to sell my 2016eb Broadway in the not to distant future.As he doesn’t know much about motorhomes I was wondering if going through a broker would be the easiest way for him to go 
I am quite prepared to take a small hit on the price and any views or recommendations would be greatly appreciated 
Wwinky
wwinky
wwinky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : broadway eb
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Motorhome brokers Empty Re: Motorhome brokers

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:15 pm

as there is a for sale section on this forum, i would try it here first, captive audience??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:23 pm

wwinky wrote:
I am quite prepared to take a small hit on the price

I wish I could find the thread now, but there was one here earlier in the year about one of the big brokers (Motorhomedepot?) which included info on costs. I suspect that the problem you will encounter is that none of the brokers will let you get away with a small hit.

On a 2016 Broadway it's going to cost you thousands of pounds, potentially, to use a broker. The good news is that (as the brokers themselves demonstrate) you don't actually need to know a huge amount about motorhomes to be able to sell one! At the very simplest, a few photos, a short piece of text and a Classified advert on Ebay should do the trick, though I would probably wait until springtime now before trying.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Dealers are desperate for stock at moment so I'd ring a few to get an idea of what you might get, maybe less than a broker and certainly less than private sale but quick no hassle deal.

Funnily enough I just had this email from AEG (we bought from them)...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi Paul,
I can recommend selling on Autotrader Motorhomes. In September I successfully sold our 2018 Corinium on line with them and got £15,000 more than my supplying dealer offered me for it after telling us that they would love to take it back in part exchange at the time when we bought it.
Autotrader has special listing software to help you place the ad, but you will need to take lots of photos.The cost is around £50

If you do sell privately, be sure to insist on the buyer paying by Bank Transfer (BACS) or by a Banker’s draft. Don’t accept a personal cheque  unless the issuer agrees to wait until the cheque has cleared into your bank.
A motorhome broker Will charge a commission on the sale, in addition he will also agree your minimum sale price with you, and then a higher sale price with the buyer, taking a second slice. Since he will be handling the sale, you are then at his mercy when it comes to getting your monies and there could be delays in this happening.
If your son can manage the sale, best financial result, but your sone needs to e alert against fraud
If you go to a main dealer, its a safer transaction but you will get much less for your motorhome, main dealers have bigger overheads and need big margins.
A motorhome Broker is less of a risk than a main dealer but you still need to be careful
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

mikethebike, rgermain and Roopert like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:51 pm

One other alternative is (if you know of a local dealer you can trust) to let the dealer sell it in your behalf rather than buy it from you. In this way the dealer usually takes either a percentage of the sale price or you can negotiate your own minimum price plus his fee on top. The attraction for the dealer is he doesn’t have to lay any money out up front and for the seller the M/H will usually be offered to buyers with the dealership warranty. 

However, I would try approaching several as terms can vary widely but, as has been said, many dealers are desperate for good used stock.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:39 pm

I wanted to sell mine earlier this year. I put an advert on Preloved which is free. I thought I would be bold and price it at £400 less than I paid for it a couple of years ago. I sold it for £5000 more than a dealer offered me in part exchange, and while the advert was running I had three dealers trying to buy it off me, answering the advertisement. However naturally they wanted to pay me £5000 less than I was asking, and after the sale was agreed one phoned me again and increased his offer by another £2000 but that was still £3k less than I was getting privately.
I then bought another motorhome from a dealer who said they were flying out the door. A dealer near that one had completely run out of stock. My nearest dealer to where I live normally has about 30 in their display area, now they have nine, and it looks pathetically bare.
The point is, your son should be able to sell yours privately for a good price. No one wants to go anywhere on a plane or a ship, but they do want a holiday and they can't go to a hotel. A motorhome is the perfect way to go somewhere alone without meeting anyone so that is why they are selling like hot cakes. Be bold with the price, no one is going to offer you more than you are asking.
Get them to do a bank transfer on their computer while you are together, then verify on your own computer that the money is in your account. Then give them the keys and log book.
Don't forget to remove your personal belongings from under the cushions, behind the seats, in the washroom cupboard, and the safe!
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by wwinky Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:37 am

Many thanks for all of the advice given to my post regarding selling my motorhome and brokers

Take care

Wwinky
wwinky
wwinky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : broadway eb
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:58 am

One of the key differences to the buyer between a private sale and a dealer is the warranty. When doing your research on the amount to put it up for you have to account for this as they have to put in allowance over their purchase price before offering it for sale.

What you can do is what happens when sold through an non franchise dealer. In most cases they don't  just cover the potential costs of repair themselves but take out an aftermarket warranty with a third party insurance company. There is nothing stopping you doing the same as a "sweetener" to the potential buyer.

Get some quotes for an aftermarket warranty, Autoguard for one do Motorhome cover and if it gets you higher prices it may more than offset the cost of the warranty. As long as you make clear it is the insurance company providing warranty not you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down