The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES - Page 2 Empty Re: CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES

Post by Paulmold on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:16 am

Unless you belong to a forum such as this, the fact that your motorhome is fitted with CP tyres would mean nothing to you and you would probably inflate to the pressures on your door pillar. How are novice motorhomers meant to know any different?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES - Page 2 Empty Re: CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES

Post by Caraman on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:44 am

Paulmold wrote:Unless you belong to a forum such as this, the fact that your motorhome is fitted with CP tyres would mean nothing to you and you would probably inflate to the pressures on your door pillar. How are novice motorhomers meant to know any different?
I think the advice for anyone is use the pressures recommended by the tyre manufacturer for a given axle mass.  The plated figures as you know are the pressures for when the vehicle is fully loaded which is stated on the tyre pressure label and in the handbook.  ColinCamper's tyre pressure label is clearly for a C Tyre which set a front tyre pressure of 4.1 bar for an axle mass of 1850 kg and a rear tyre pressure of 4.5 bar for an axle mass of 2000 kg.  Both figures are slightly above the ETRTOs recommendations for these axle masses which allows for some uneven loading across the axle.  If the actual axle masses when fully loaded are significantly less that 1850/2000 kg which they definitely will be at the front on a Nuevo, lower pressures should be used.  When ColinCamper's Nuevo was produced I don't think CP tyres had been invented so no reference would be made to them.  The problem arises when a Nuevo has had its C tyres replaced with CP tyres or vice a versa.  If CP tyres are inflated to C tyre pressures they will be dangerously under-inflated and if C tyres are inflated to CP pressures they will be dangerously over-inflated.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Your last 4 lines are precisely what I'm talking about. My Nuevo (2006) was fitted with CP tyres when we bought it in 2013 so unless I'd read such forums as this, I would not even know that CP tyres weren't around when the Nuevo was made. I repeat, how are novice motorhomers meant to know any different?

Donator
Donator

Male

Jaytee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Paulmold wrote:I repeat, how are novice motorhomers meant to know any different?
Paul - I suspect this is a rhetorical question but the answer is better education from the NCC, national clubs, motorhome magazines, dealers and of course the converter when they write their handbooks.  This is what it states in Swift's handbooks which is as good as it gets:

"Tyre Pressures The motorhome tyre pressures noted in the Technical book are the pressures stated by Fiat for your vehicle calculated in a fully laden condition. If you are not running fully laden, reduced pressures could be used but please seek clarification from the Tyre manufacture.”

If clarification is sought from the Tyre Manufacturer they will want to know if its a C or CP tyre.  I doubt that many motorhome dealers will provide sensible advice.  Several I spoke to earlier this year didn't know the difference between a C and CP tyre but that's salesmen for you.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm

The ignorance of the difference by salesmen is what bothers me and of course the private sale. You could be following a new motorhomer down a motorway at 70mph whose tyres are dangerously under or over-inflated through no fault of his own.

Donator
Donator

Male

Jaytee likes this post

Back to top Go down

CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES - Page 2 Empty RE: CP tyre pressures

Post by ColinCamper on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:29 pm

I have recently learnt from Continental that they have decided to continue showing and recommending lower rear CP tyre pressures for lower rear axle masses in their [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

After trawling through the databook, Looks like page 87 is the correct one for 215/70 15inch rims, 8 ply, load factor 109.
ColinCamper
ColinCamper

Male

Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 pm

ColinCamper wrote:I have recently learnt from Continental that they have decided to continue showing and recommending lower rear CP tyre pressures for lower rear axle masses in their [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

After trawling through the databook, Looks like page 87 is the correct one for 215/70 15inch rims, 8 ply, load factor 109.
Yes - it shows both the C and CP versions with different pressures for each.  The front and rear pressures for the C are the same.  The rear pressures for the CP are higher than the front.  These pressures do not take into account uneven loading across the axle which will result in one tyre being under-inflated for its load which is unsafe.  So higher pressures should be used hence the TyreSafe model.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum