The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water pump suddenly started running on

+3
Relaxez-Vous
Caraman
Allan
7 posters

Go down

water pump suddenly started running on Empty water pump suddenly started running on

Post by Allan Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:32 pm

The pump supplying water to the taps on my Nuevo EK (2013) suddenly came on during the middle of the night while I was asleep in the van recently. It usually pumps on for a couple of seconds after turning a tap off, but this was different - it ran on for 10 minutes and all taps were turned off!  At the time the tank was 75% full of water and I was using EHU on a site. (It may have nothing to do with it, but I always fill the water tank by putting the filler pipe in the tank draincock, ...it's a lot quicker). Also, I always run the pump on on mains hook up and never/rarely on the leisure battery. I had cleaned the water filter near the solenoid a couple of months ago. I note that on the control panel there is a pump "on/off" switch (a tap symbol ) and I can choose one of 3 pump settings from the pump-selection panel. ("internal", "external", "both"). 
    When I choose the "external" setting, it stops, but, of course, then the taps don't flow. I have read the relevant threads on this forum (thank you) and several people mention the pressure adjustment switch. I can see a screwdriver slot on the side of the external water-fill - it has "do not adjust" written next to it! Does this sound like the way to solve the problem? I can't see any water leaks under the van. Why might it suddenly start in the middle of the night? Any ideas?
Allan
Allan

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

Back to top Go down

water pump suddenly started running on Empty Re: water pump suddenly started running on

Post by Caraman Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Allan wrote:The pump supplying water to the taps on my Nuevo EK (2013) suddenly came on during the middle of the night while I was asleep in the van recently. It usually pumps on for a couple of seconds after turning a tap off, but this was different - it ran on for 10 minutes and all taps were turned off!  At the time the tank was 75% full of water and I was using EHU on a site. (It may have nothing to do with it, but I always fill the water tank by putting the filler pipe in the tank draincock, ...it's a lot quicker). Also, I always run the pump on on mains hook up and never/rarely on the leisure battery. I had cleaned the water filter near the solenoid a couple of months ago. I note that on the control panel there is a pump "on/off" switch (a tap symbol ) and I can choose one of 3 pump settings from the pump-selection panel. ("internal", "external", "both"). 
    When I choose the "external" setting, it stops, but, of course, then the taps don't flow. I have read the relevant threads on this forum (thank you) and several people mention the pressure adjustment switch. I can see a screwdriver slot on the side of the external water-fill - it has "do not adjust" written next to it! Does this sound like the way to solve the problem? I can't see any water leaks under the van. Why might it suddenly start in the middle of the night? Any ideas?
I assume the pump that came on in the middle of the night was the Whale submersible pump in the fresh water tank and not an external Whale pump used in a water roll.  If this this is correct, it sounds as though you need to adjust the Whale pressure switch which is part of the Whale Non Return Valve between the fresh water tank and the internal water system.  The Whale pressure switch you mention on the back of the Whale inlet socket is something else and works in conjunction with the solenoid operated valve only.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

water pump suddenly started running on Empty Re: water pump suddenly started running on

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:22 pm

I was somewhat surprised to read of the way you are filling your fresh water tank. Whilst there will be a small air inlet on the top of the water tank which normally allows air in when water is drawn off, and air to escape when water enters during the tank filling process by way of the filler cap, what you might be doing by reversing the normal filling is subjecting the tank to a positive pressure. This might have implications for the water pump pressure switch, as it is you're saying filling is quicker.

From a bio-security perspective, how clean is the water drain cock?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:15 am

Never thought of filling a tank via the drain cock! You say quicker, how come? scratch head
Anyone else used this strange method?
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeymike Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:45 am

I'm currently filling my fresh water tank via the drain cock as the Whale system in my 2011 Nuevo is playing up. It takes about 15 mins to fill the 100 litre tank using a normal food grade roll flat hose. This is about the same time as filling with the Whale hose.  I don't use water from the fresh tank for drinking or cooking so am not concerned about small amounts of dirt on the drain tap getting into the tank.
pompeymike
pompeymike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 EK
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:14 am

Thank you caraman and relaxez vous - (by the way yes... you are right..the external pump connected to a barrel water was not being used when the night time pump started running on) Interesting thought though...whether the draincock-water-tank-filling method, subjects the tank to a positive pressure which might affect the pressure switch? I'll fill up the tank the normal way today (with the external whale pump) and see if the water pump still runs on - cheers so far for your thoughts and help.
Allan
Allan
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:49 am

Caraman wrote:If this this is correct, it sounds as though you need to adjust the Whale pressure switch which is part of the Whale Non Return Valve between the fresh water tank and the internal water system.  The Whale pressure switch you mention on the back of the Whale inlet socket is something else and works in conjunction with the solenoid operated valve only.

Sounds the most probable to me Caraman, and it would be my first step in diagnosing the problem.

I found this which might be handy.

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:06 am

Gromit wrote:

Sounds the most probable to me Caraman, and it would be my first step in diagnosing the problem.

Yes first step and easiest, eliminate the Pressure Switch.

Some people seem to be lucky and run the Whale Pump set up for years without trouble. Mine from new, due to my very rarely using EHU, the bad Solar Regulator and the whole set up being Voltage sensitive, had to be adjusted around 5 times a day and would start in the night if it was left on.

This thread has also revealed yet another Whale Filler System that has gone wrong too.

Last edited by marconi on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot an extra comment)
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:20 pm

marconi wrote:
Gromit wrote:

Yes first step and easiest, eliminate the Pressure Switch.

Some people seem to be lucky and run the Whale Pump set up for years without trouble. Mine from new, due to my very rarely using EHU, the bad Solar Regulator and the whole set up being Voltage sensitive, had to be adjusted around 5 times a day and would start in the night if it was left on.
Yes, a familiar story, and part of the reason we dumped the submersible and replaced it with a Shurflo.

It went instantly from "pain in the ar$e" to "peace and tranquility".  content
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Right - I think, with all your advice and wisdom, I've fixed it. The Whale pressure switch adjustment video was very useful and helped to a) find and b)adjust the switch - many thanks all round! I might avoid the draincock-water-tank filling option for the time being and use the external filler connection with my whale pump - it is very slow though!
Again .......many thanks
Allan
Allan
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:09 pm

I actually do not find the external whale any slower than using a hose. I use it when ever I can, whale external that is using a flat blue hose with extension.

You will not regret dumping the pump in place of a Shurflo, as Gromit says, instant peace and tranquility up! up! up! and it works!

Not too sure about Marconi saying Solar regulator is bad, mine always charges both batteries and is the original with no mods since new, once set up it seems to work for us.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:30 pm

rgermain wrote:
Not too sure about Marconi saying Solar regulator is bad, mine always charges both batteries and is the original with no mods since new, once set up it seems to work for us.
---------
Richard

You are pre EC700 and the Solar Regulator installed with it.

I know you didn't miss the 13 page topic, you posted on it that you have EC500 and 100 W Solar Panel + 2 x week on EHU.  smile!
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 pm

marconi wrote:
rgermain wrote:
---------
Richard

You are pre EC700 and the Solar Regulator installed with it.

I know you didn't miss the 13 page topic, you posted on it that you have EC500 and 100 W Solar Panel + 2 x week on EHU.  smile!
Yes we have a EC500 and a 120w panel, not 100w and the 2 x week on EHU is in winter, this time of year it holds it's own with fully charged batteries. Sorry didn't read you were referring  to van with EC700.

I can only speak for the system we have.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down