The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET

+17
Dave 418
FreelanderUK
Suppersready
rgermain
groundhog
LDPD
bikeralw
CJ1949
modelman
PLOUGHLIN
CC
rventhusiast
rogerblack
IanH
Roopert
Tinwheeler
Jimmee
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET Empty BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET

Post by Jimmee Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:27 am

I would like to have a window in the toilet of our Bourton where the wooden cupboard is opposite the door.  There is room and I could arrange for a locker to be put either above or below.  I know it can be done.  I have not contacted Autosleeper.  Marquis could do it.  Has anyone done this?  I have to say my husband Jimmee is not keen.  It's Mrs Jimmee (me) that wants it so I would need to make sure that it would be right.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET Empty Re: BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:10 pm

I’m not sure why you want a window but, leaving that aside, I wouldn't trust Marquis to do a job like that. I think it’s way outside of their skill base.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

PLOUGHLIN, RogerThat and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:I’m not sure why you want a window but, leaving that aside, I wouldn't trust Marquis to do a job like that. I think it’s way outside of their skill base.

I fully agree with this. IMO you would have to be very lucky indeed to find a Marquis employee with the right skills/experience to do something like that properly. I would want it done at the factory (though in my personal opinion a good roof light and good lighting seems more appropriate in a toilet/shower than a window).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

RogerThat, gassygassy and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Thank you both.  We do have excellent lighting as we installed an all round LED lighting strip.  We also have installed a large mirror on the rear wall.  I just have a foible about having a window.  I do like to see daylight in a room.  I agree with you about Marquis and I would actually only want it done at the Autosleepers factory.  I haven't approached them yet.  My husband would be pleased that you agree with him.  Methinks I am not going to win this one.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Think this through, here's what will have to happen......

The position will have to be accurately marked on both the inside and outside, not as easy as you may think

A rectangular hole will now have to be cut through the following...
1, the outer skin of the truck
2, all, hopefully, rigid foam insulation in the wall cavity
3. the existing bathroom inner wall/skin

Assuming this all goes well (??!!) then the outer skin needs to be perfectly sealed to prevent water ingress form the outside, the insulation needs to be sealed to protect it should any water get in, the inner skin, the bathroom wall also needs to be perfectly sealed, I assume it's also the wall of the shower? (don't know the Bourton)

There's enough posts on here re water leaks to keep you awake for decades, personally I wouldn't touch it with someone else's barge pole!

BTW Mr Jimmee didn't put me up to this! 
scratch head scratch head allthumbz allthumbz
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:55 pm

I think, Mrs J, that you should kindly allow Mr J to win this one as there is no sound reason for having a window and to fit one could cause damage. How long do you spend in the washroom anyway?

One day, when you want to persuade Mr J to do something really important, you can remind him of his victory here. hugegrins
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:09 pm

As well as the fore and aft tilting roof-light in our Pollensa loo/shower cubicle, we also have a decent sized window and it is very handy for ventilation at times! 

It's the same design as the other windows, top hinged with different tilt positions, but obviously the plastic is cloudy rather than tinted, so you can't see in or out when it's closed but it does let daylight in.  You can have it open on the lowest tilt angle and no-one could see in unless they were kneeling on the ground right outside the van! 

This window also includes a cassette system like the others, with a fly screen mesh rolling down from the top, however the screen coming up from the bottom isn't a silvered blackout material like the others, it's another opaque layer. Presumably, this is enough to stop a silhouetted outline being visible from outside when using the loo or shower after dark with the light on, although I've never actually tested this.

The window also proved to be very useful when our daughter was young and came with us on holidays, as we could take the shower hose out of the window to rinse off sand or mud before she came inside the van. I still occasionally use it to rinse off muddy boots and I guess for anyone with a dog this might be equally useful.

Last edited by rogerblack on Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Thank you all.  Hurrah to rogerblack.  Someone on my side.  I know it would look good and be practical.  I also know Mr Jimmee would like it IF it were done but what if it goes wrong?  It would be my fault.  I will keep you posted and show you a picture when it's done.  Ha ha.  Maybe not.  Meantime, I think I will send a design to Autosleepers and get them to include it in their next model.  That would be interesting.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Making a hole through the van body isn't that difficult, I've done it myself! Only a small rectangle mind, I fitted an external BBQ point.  Lining up inside to outside is no problem, you just drill a hole all the way through at each corner.  I still have the piece I cut out, it shows how well insulated my Pollensa is. 

These windows come as a complete assembly so sealing around them shouldn't be problematical as long as it's done properly.  

These are the type we have:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

although I can't see the option for OBSCURE pane and blind without searching further.

However, I'd be loathe to cut such a large hole as a DIY project, especially not knowing what infrastructure might be within the wall. So I agree that if you do go ahead, definitely have it done by AutoSleepers themselves if they'll do it, as they'll know what size and position would be suitable.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:33 pm

IanH wrote:Think this through, here's what will have to happen......

The position will have to be accurately marked on both the inside and outside, not as easy as you may think

A rectangular hole will now have to be cut through the following...
1, the outer skin of the truck
2, all, hopefully, rigid foam insulation in the wall cavity
3. the existing bathroom inner wall/skin

Assuming this all goes well (??!!) then the outer skin needs to be perfectly sealed to prevent water ingress form the outside, the insulation needs to be sealed to protect it should any water get in, the inner skin, the bathroom wall also needs to be perfectly sealed, I assume it's also the wall of the shower? (don't know the Bourton)

There's enough posts on here re water leaks to keep you awake for decades, personally I wouldn't touch it with someone else's barge pole!

BTW Mr Jimmee didn't put me up to this! 
scratch head scratch head allthumbz allthumbz

But isnt this exactly what happens at the factory when building the coachbuilt? The sides are made in one slab then holes have to be cut in to affix the windows/door, sealed in the same way and, when you think of the number of doors and windows in all the motorhomes ever built, very few actually have or develop a leak.

I'm pretty sure it is something well within the capability of Autosleeper.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Yes, of course it is, but Marquis was mentioned as a contender. The first two posts in monocoque are poignant, both re leaks!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Ive seen this mod done to a Broadway EL that an elderly couple owned at the service centre a few yrs ago, it looked like it had always been there and didn’t look out of place. 

As others have said I certainly wouldn’t entrust that work to Marquis if my experience is anything to go by, they took it upon themselves to adjust our habitation door that was perfect to not being able to close properly after they’d meddled with it, it took the AS service centre (not much better) 3 attempts to get it adjusted anywhere near where it was before Marquis decided it needed adjusting despite us never saying there was an issue with it, one of the hinge covers was broken in the process and replacements are no longer available rolleyes

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:58 pm

CC wrote:Ive seen this mod done to a Broadway EL that an elderly couple owned at the service centre a few yrs ago, it looked like it had always been there and didn’t look out of place. 

As others have said I certainly wouldn’t entrust that work to Marquis if my experience is anything to go by, they took it upon themselves to adjust our habitation door that was perfect to not being able to close properly after they’d meddled with it, it took the AS service centre (not much better) 3 attempts to get it adjusted anywhere near where it was before Marquis decided it needed adjusting despite us never saying there was an issue with it, one of the hinge covers was broken in the process and replacements are no longer available rolleyes

I think these are the hinge covers on your MH, same as mine?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:44 am

In actual fact, the fitting of a window unit in a foam-insulated wall is very easy compared to a grp, wall where a wood frame needs to be constructed & bonded to the opening to allow the frame assembly to be fitted.
In the foam wall, only a hole is needed, the frame halves are clamped together from each side, positioning is also easy if a template is cut with a hole in exact centre, placed on the wall & a pilot hole drilled, draw round the template, then from the inside, (or outside depending on the start point) do the same, the 'template' tracings will then exactly match, a jigsaw will have the blank out in seconds, if the pad of the saw is covered in masking tape, then no scratching of the surface will occur.
A wide-enough sealing tape is applied all around the opening, covering the width of the wall & wrap over & to the inside & outside, thus 'sealing' the foam, then a simple, normal, seal- requirements applied to the frames before clamping together.
I did this to a caravan many years ago, dead simple & easy & it never leaked.
BTW, the good thing about a single-central hole in the template, is that if after marking one side of the van, then aligning on the other side,  you then discover that it could do with a bit of adjustment, then its possible, just re-drill the centre-hole & re-mark, not so if the corners are drilled first. scratch head
Sometimes, the frames are screwed into the wall from either side & NOT together, in this case, dig-out sufficient foam & glue  wood battens all around the inside for the frame to mount.
All of this assumes a flat surface, I might not attempt it on a curvature however.!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET Empty Bourton Window?

Post by CJ1949 Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:46 pm

When I ordered my new Bourton last year, I had an extractor fan fitted above the shower as a free factory spec.
in addition to the roof light heki opening.
This year I think the fan comes standard now
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Thank you for all the interesting replies people are sending about the window.  I do appreciate the time taken to respond so fully.  It is reassuring to see there are people on my side and that it can be done.  I will email Autosleepers and ask them how much etc. and let you know, out of interest.  Mrs Jimmee
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Jimmee wrote:Thank you for all the interesting replies people are sending about the window.  I do appreciate the time taken to respond so fully.  It is reassuring to see there are people on my side and that it can be done.  I will email Autosleepers and ask them how much etc. and let you know, out of interest.  Mrs Jimmee

Make sure you are sitting down when you ask. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm in agreement with Modelman. On a flat coach built wall it should be simple to cut a hole as he described.
There's a window in the washroom of our Nuevo and I wouldn't be without it, makes it so light and airy, plus the obvious advantage when getting rid of steam and condensation.
 I've experienced windowless van washrooms and it's like showering in a vertical coffin...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:07 pm

Hurrah - bikeralw agrees with me too.  That is good to hear.  I can't understand why AS don't fit one.  Cost I expect.  There's plenty of room where that awful brown cabinet is stuck on the wall. We've had three motorhomes in 35 years.  The first an AS Legend, the second an A class Hymer (and that didn't have a window) but this is the worst toilet washroom of the three and I think a window would make a huge difference.  Love the van and wouldn't swap.  Window or not.  Thank you everyone for your replies. And yes Ploughlin, I'll make sure I sit down when I hear from AS with a price.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:22 pm

CJ1949 wrote:When I ordered my new Bourton last year, I had an extractor fan fitted above the shower as a free factory spec.
in addition to the roof light heki opening.
This year I think the fan comes standard now
Great idea! Would be interested in seeing a picture. I would have expected it to clash with the solar panel on the roof. Haven't seen any evidence to suggest it's now a standard fitting unless anyone knows for sure?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Jimmee wrote:Hurrah - bikeralw agrees with me too.  That is good to hear.  I can't understand why AS don't fit one.  Cost I expect.  There's plenty of room where that awful brown cabinet is stuck on the wall. We've had three motorhomes in 35 years.  The first an AS Legend, the second an A class Hymer (and that didn't have a window) but this is the worst toilet washroom of the three and I think a window would make a huge difference.  Love the van and wouldn't swap.  Window or not.  Thank you everyone for your replies. And yes Ploughlin, I'll make sure I sit down when I hear from AS with a price.
I think you're right about the window Mrs Jimmee but, to be honest, we wouldn't want to lose the cabinet either as it is full of shampoos, powders, potions etc. and I'm intending to install a shelf beneath it as there is nowhere to stand things other than the curved toilet seat. But I do think windows in bathrooms are a good idea - maybe I would consider a Heko rooflight instead so I didn't lose the cabinet.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:18 pm

Thank you David.  I appreciate what you are saying about the cabinet but I was proposing to have a similar half size one fixed above the window to take the stuff that's in there already.  We have put a fixed chromium hanging shower double basket below the cabinet which takes lightweight things and it looks and works well. We also fitted a large mirror on the shower rear wall, which we sealed.  That makes it look more spacious and light.  We also fitted flexible LED strip lighting all the way round the ceiling.  Mr Jimmee couldn't bear reaching over each time to switch the lights on which are set in the ceiling.  He fitted a light switch which controls all the lighting just inside the door on the left hand side.  We fitted three extendable towel rods which fit below the mirror we installed which go from side to side.  You extend them to fit and they do stay put.  You can pick these up at any of the motorhome show accessory stalls.  All in all our toilet washroom is looking very good, apart from missing a window - ha ha.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:43 pm

It really shouldn't be difficult to cut a hole in a slab side and put in a window, as long of course as the person doing it knows their stuff. If it gives you what you want then go for it I say, but agree with others, I would get it done at the factory. Good luck and post that picture if you have a window put in. up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:02 pm

Thank you groundhog.  I've emailed AS about the window and will post what they reply.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Jimmee wrote:Thank you groundhog.  I've emailed AS about the window and will post what they reply.
Don't hold your breath, I understand they are not that good at replying, or you could try Dave.Williams sales director.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next