The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Rustproofing?

+8
shipbadger
Tintent116
Cymro
Libraryman2
IanH
Roopert
Paulmold
alex.l.wright@btinternet.
12 posters

Go down

Which Rustproofing? Empty Which Rustproofing?

Post by alex.l.wright@btinternet. Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi,

We are Alex and Anne retired and living on Seil Island. Still fairly new to motor homing, we purchased our first Nuevo EK a year ago and we were plagued with sky light leaks. The dealer did every conceivable thing to repair the van and who knows? His 3rd attempt may have been successful but we fell out of love with it and purchased a new Broadway instead. I wondered if the underseal as standard would be OK. We live near the sea and it occurred to me that I might be wise to invest in extra undersealing and I wondered if any one had any ideas or suggestions. Our neareswt big city is Glasgow so it will very likely be a DIY job. Thanks to all in anticipation. smile! smile!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Which Rustproofing? Empty Re: Which Rustproofing?

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:08 pm

If you Google 'roofproofing Scotland' you'll find several companies, one in Denny, one in Johnstone plus others.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:39 pm

alex.l.wright@btinternet. wrote:Our neareswt big city is Glasgow so it will very likely be a DIY job.

It looks like the OP is after product recommendation, rather than a company? Though I'm not too sure what the link between Glasgow and DIY is!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:48 pm

I have had the last 3 motorhomes waxoyled, professionally in my case.
In your case it is do-able if messy and you have to get right under the van.
My mechanic has 2 rules, he told me, get the chassis as clean as poss, brushing, etc and bone dry before application
Heat the waxoyl (comes in a pump-up pressure can) by placing it in hot not boiling water for a while, rest is common sense.

You might check if this would affect your warranty on what is a new van first though?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm

I believe the cab is the most vulnerable part on these vehicles....getting something like ACF 50 into the cab above the sills is a good Idea....pulling out the bungs to spray in there...
I used waxoil once I think it’s good too but it tends to harden off and may not provide protection if it peels off..spraying rust proofreads in those spaces..no one will know so warranty shouldn’t be an issue.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 pm

Use black Waxoyl underneath; ACF50 where you need it to run; ordinary waxy where it may be visible.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Tintent116 Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:53 pm

I used to like Waxoyl when I was in my 20's & 30's and did all my cars with it. I have done previous vans with it. As said already the technique is to warm it to thin it then use a spray of some sort.

But lying on your back under the van spraying it is a horrible horrible job, it gets in your hair, your eyes, up your nose etc.

Lately I have just used ACF 50 warmed slightly in a pump spray (not the rubbish one that comes free with the 950ml bottles). It is thinner and goes on easier (and probably washes off quicker), so I reapply at the start of every winter. This year I have bought an electric spraygun to try, they were on offer in Screwfix.

Whichever product I use I keep a set of old clothes to wear whilst I do it which just go in the bin when I have finished the job....!

An alternative product I have never tried but gets rave reviews on the biking forums is XCP.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCP-Rust-Blocker-Performance-Protection/dp/B00CU6STFK
Tintent116
Tintent116

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:00 am

I don't know if this applies to anywhere near to the OP but my last van was waxoyled by a firm that rented space in garages when someone wanted a job done in the area.  I arrived before the operative and was directed to an outside lift.  The chap turned up and spent all day on the job.  He told me there were a number of places that they used depending on the facilities required and the distance the person needing the service had to travel.  May be worth enquiring if there is something like this nearer than Glasgow.
Tony Comber
shipbadger
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Have you considered Dinitrol? I used to use Waxoyl, but it's a very mucky job to apply it, and you really need to get the vehicle up on ramps or axle stands if not on a ramp. I wasn't particularly impressed by its rustproofing qualities either. Rather than a DIY job I opted to have Dinitrol professionally applied to our current motorhome (it's a Ford Transit base vehicle, and they're prone to tinworm). Not the cheapest way to do it, but I'm very happy with the results. Looking on the internet there's a Dinitrol centre not far from Glasgow.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 pm

May I slightly broaden this topic to include commercial rust proofing as I don't want to take this job on myself any longer.
I did sprayed waxoyl several times underneath our then Duetto, as I did with our previous classic campervan. I was always concerned about the health aspects of me breathing in the vapour, in future I don't want to take any more risks. Previously our drive was all concrete and it didn't matter if any oil or waxoyl got onto the drive, but in the last couple of years we'd had the drive block paved which I'd like to keep clean.

Any recommendations? I read an article in MMM about the rustproofing available in Rugby and knew a couple in ASOC who took their Duetto there. Of the companies offering rustproofing I'm tending to favour going to Rugby, the other places I found are further away. Finding somewhere that is used to rustproofing motorhomes/motorcaravans is important though.

Anyone been to Rugby for this, or did you have outstanding service from someone else?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:09 pm

I’ve seen good reports of these  https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/our-complete-rust-proofing-service-24  unfortunately they are not doing it at the moment due to Covid. But I have no personal experience of them.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:14 pm

it's been suspended but not due to Covid

[size=36]Rustbuster’s Complete Rust Proofing Services - Car Rustproofing, Motorhome, Van[/size]
Suspension of rustproofing services
We regret that due to exceptional circumstances our rustproofing service is not currently available and we are unable to take further bookings for vehicles. This is not related to COVID-19.
We will update this page with further news as soon as possible.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Thanks Chis, I read that wrong, I’ll have to get some new glasses! 🤓 

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:May I slightly broaden this topic to include commercial rust proofing as I don't want to take this job on myself any longer.
We had the Dinitrol treatment done professionally. The Dinitrol UK site has a list of approved application centres. 
My days of crawling about underneath cars/vans are more or less over so I decided to get it done at one of the approved treatment centres. Not particularly cheap, but saved me a lot of time and effort and the job was well done. It's only been a couple of years so too soon to say how effective it is at preventing rust in the long term, but the reviews are encouraging.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum